The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Night Photography -Fireflies

dave.gt

Wow!

Talk about a challenge! Last night around 9pm, I noticed fireflies in the back yard. They are known by children around these parts as "lightning bugs", and I cannot remember the last time I saw them. I presumed they were pretty much gone forever. I grabbed the studio gear and set up thectripod in a minute or so and spent the next 45 minutes failing to capture a single firefly.

This is going to be a challenge!!!:banghead:

Has anyone tried to do this?

National Geographic:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....y/photo-tips/fireflies-in-the-dark-richardson

Craig Stocks

I've taken a few photos of fireflies, some on purpose and some inadvertently.

I did this last year in my back yard. It's a composite of a number of stacked frames at ISO 1600, 30 seconds, f/4.5 with the Phase One 55mm on an IQ 3100.

This was less intentional. I was testing the Rokinon 14mm on my Sony a7r2 when a lightning bug flew over my head and straight on toward Jupiter. ISO 3200, f/2.8 for 15 seconds.

They also frequently show up uninvited in night photos. I did this star trail photo a few days ago on vacation and caught numerous fireflies in the process. Sony a6000, ISO 500, 30 seconds @ f/8.0, around 100 consecutive frames stacked to create the star trails.

tcdeveau

Hey Dave,
I’ve done a few but never on purpose, the fireflies just happened to be there. Helps to have a wide lens and it’s going to be trickier with the 80mm. Just keep trying!
-Todd

Some examples of mine from North Georgia, all with aperture wide open, ISO3200-6400 and 30ish seconds

From a Nikon D800E and 24mm f1.4 nikkor:
5A48F812-9B23-4286-9B51-8FEB0DC08A21.jpg

With the X1D and 21mm XCD
0B0ADF9A-9713-4DB4-B179-D3210892BAC6.jpg

90957F02-F2A2-45B0-93CB-5294386B8E28.jpg

dave.gt

Thanks, guys! Great images. :)

I reviewed the shots from last night. Ugh... may try again tonight. But most likely, I will just sit on the terrace and enjoy the evening.

Father's Day does come with a couple of privileges, right?:thumbup:

jdphoto

This was taken right after a storm. There were literally thousands of "Glow Bugs" lighting it up... Each one has a unique signal to attract a mate.

This was taken with a Leica M Monochrom, but I consider it a digital 4x5.

Last edited: