The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any one travel with a tech cam setup with family?

Boinger

Taking a family trip with wife and 2 kids (toddler and baby) to Australia. Would love to take my tech cam, but am thinking it might be too much hassle.

Debating whether to take the tech cam setup or not. Anyone done something like that and care to share their experiences?

I am thinking maybe take the x1d and actus as a side equip if I get the opportunity to shoot a more technical setup.

Thoughts?

dj may

I have traveled extensively with 4x5 view cameras, including family vacations. Therefore, I do not see a problem with a tech camera. Since I got a Leica S, that has become my primary camera. One of the key motivations for the change was weather resistance.

Jesse

Geoff

Depends on how much time you get to shoot. Usually not so easy, limited to early AM or the odd bit here and there. If you can get chunks of time, ok, but usually not the best idea, especially w young family. While photo passion can run deep, the two can be difficult to do on the same trip.

stngoldberg

I take it everywhere..easy to pack...not convenient to carry the necessary tripod, but quite simply I come home with better images
My wife would prefer that I Not Take the tech cam as I take more time with each image...we have been married for 55 years so I get some slack
Stanley

JeRuFo

I usually take both my 4x5 kit and a digital non tech-cam kit. Although I use the digital far more often, when I get excited about a place my wife sometimes agrees to come back to a spot on an evening, she brings a book and enjoys the surroundings and I browse around the area and return to her just after sunset when she starts to get worried if I dropped off a cliff or something. I usually come home with only about 8 different compositions from one vacation, but they are almost always the only shots I care about when we get back. The digital ones are fun to tell the behind the scenes story. So I'd say go for it, mostly because you have to actually make some time to do some photography. If you can do that with just the X1d, then you can save yourself a lot of hassle.

Boinger

Thanks to all the responses.

I am torn what I think I will do is take a small tech kit. Try it out and see how it goes. Maybe just the Hr40 / Sk120 or the Hr 70

Don't know about the lenses I think I can leave the 90 at home.

PhiloFarmer

Depends on how much time is allocated for "fun-n-family,"...and how much can be allocated to "creating."

When possible alignments allow...I take the Silvestri + Hassy 40, & 120...a couple filters + sunshade...and tripod.

Pretty spare pickin's....................

Keeps the juices flowing....

beano_z

I won't go into details on when to shoot when you're there as that has been talked about already.

However, when you travel with both kids, and I assume you're going to be flying, it can sometimes be a hassle because of all the stuff you'll be carrying:

1) Baby stroller
2) Bag with baby / kids stuff (water bottles, food, diapers, etc.)
3) Camera bag
4) Possibly one pice of carry on luggage
5) Purse for the missus

So if all of the above, it basically means that each of you will only have one hand completely free to hold on to something. The tough part is when the kids fall asleep and you don't want to wake them getting on and off the aircraft or even having to take a shuttle bus to and from the terminal (because they will get cranky).

So as long as you're prepared for that I think it's pretty OK, once on board there won't be any issues as most of the time the cabin crew is super helpful with kids around.

I've done this many times, as every trip with the kids (mine are 1.5 and 4 years old) I bring along my large camera (either tech cam or MF DSLR) and survived every one of them so far :grin:

yaya

I travelled quite a bit with an Arca Rm2D, 1 back, 1 lens (43XL or HR40), small-light 4-section CF tripod with a P0 head.
You still need a charger, a few batteries, spare sync cables and maybe some filters/ filter holders.

Which adds medium-ish shoulder bag or back pack to the family luggage. If you add a laptop then that needs to go somewhere too.

Unless the alternative is a really pocketable camera that can still produce images you like then I'd probably stick to the tech cam.

IMO

BR
Yair

photographist

Good evening,

I've done this a lot, but the first and foremost thing is to have fun and make some special memories. If you can make some special photographs too, then all the more fun!

My normal kit fits into my photo backpack. It includes a Cambo WDS (not a small or light beast), two Cambo mounted lenses, Batteries and sundry supporting pieces, Canon 5D, 3 Lenses (one on body), batteries, and miscellaneous items. My chargers and tripod end up in one suitcase along with soon to be soiled clothing and other items. If you have a car at your disposal, it becomes much easier. Flying, just be sure to keep your most important and valuable pieces with you in the cabin.

I don't know where in AUS your traveling, but speaking from experience, the tech camera will be wished for if you don't have it. If you're in Victoria, Melbourne or have a chance to spend a couple of days in the South, take the Great Ocean road. You and your family will love it!!

Travel safe and enjoy!

Jeff

citizin

Check to see what the sporting bags option are, camera bags could be included in that.

We flew to the Azores via Azores airlines, and the camera bag counted under hiking sporting equipment.

Although we just got back from Wales via Transat and it had to be carry on.

bab

My answer is if you plan on documenting your family trip with that NO leave it at home. But if by chance your in the right place at the right time and get just ONE image that rocks its worth all the hassle. Speaking from experience this has happened to me more that once.

Happy Trails