The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flare with specular lights near/on image edges

I'm running an IQ160 on a Cambo Wide DS with a Schneider 35, and due to the proliferation of hard, specular LED fixtures (mostly) on my interior projects, I'm having problems with flare on the edge/corners of my images--see, for instance:

Is there a good way to get around this? I'm finding that adding a little rubber hood on the 35 helps a little bit in some cases, but not much; the effect also happens on my Sch43XL. It's looking like I'm getting at least some internal flare, which there ought to be a way to reduce somehow. Or...is it time for me to cough up the $$$ and move to Rodenstock optics?

Thanks!

-=Martin

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Having suffered this in the field with my Rodies and also Lee filters, I manned up to a serious flare buster :)

005261EC-8D5B-4C85-AD0D-1298CDC523E7.jpeg

Or the regular:
3FC449E1-1CFC-408E-A8B0-7DACBCEAC2A5.jpeg

Ben730

Hi
After testing a lot of different solutions I use the Sinar compendium. It's the lightest, smallest and easiest solution I found and the adapter ring also fits to the white acrylic for the LCC.
Schneider centerfilters are terrible in backlight. Some times it's necessary to make the shot without CF, with to expositions and put them together.
The Rodies are (without CF) more prone to flare, but the Compendium helps.

Regards,
Ben

Attachments

dchew

As Ben hinted above, before you ditch your Schneider for a Rodenstock, you may check to be sure they are better in this regard. I've never shot the Rodi 32, but I do have the 35xl. I don't know which one is better for flair like this, but some here may have direct experience with both.

Some Rodi's are better with flair, some worse than their Schneider counterparts.

Dave

That Sinar rig looks like a nearly perfect solution (I have a FlareDinkum on order--thanks, folks). I've looked at the Cambo compendium, but it's $$$$ and also, since I'm on a WDS, requires all sorts of hacking to get the job done. This looks like a much better solution.

The question becomes: where and how do I get one? Having done too much grip: I'm sorely tempted to get a 4-leaf Lowel iP barndoor kit, go find one of my friends who does 3D printing, and rig it to a disused stepping ring.