The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa HXD Adapter

gmfotografie

Sorry guys - I just can push the shutter button... whats the secret about this infinity focus ?
As i also have the X1D ( in black - will fit the alpa equipment better ;-) ) here are my questions:
Can i tilt or shift with a HR32mm like with a P1 back on STC or Max?

What is the biggest drawback with this system ( besides that i cannot using a flash - eshutter)

THX

dchew

Sorry guys - I just can push the shutter button... whats the secret about this infinity focus ?
As i also have the X1D ( in black - will fit the alpa equipment better ;-) ) here are my questions:
Can i tilt or shift with a HR32mm like with a P1 back on STC or Max?

What is the biggest drawback with this system ( besides that i cannot using a flash - eshutter)

THX
No, you cannot tilt or shift with the 32hr and reach infinity. You can mount SB17 lenses if you have a TC and use them at infinity, but the TC doesn’t shift or tilt without another adapter. Adding that other adapter eliminates the ability to focus at infinity.

Lenses mounted in SB 34mounts could tilt and/or shift by using an STC/Max plus a 17mm ts adapter. Tilt would be a little funky because I think the tilt adapter has to go between the X1D and the Alpa STC/Max.

Dave

Last edited:

bab

Not sure I follow the concept?
With a 21mm equivalent lens the tilt needed for most images is minimal, couldn’t you make two focus bracket exposures with a medium format lens and get almost the same image? This would not require another camera and lens.

Also Alpa seems to be providing work a round solution in this instance with the adapter having limitations. Neither Alpa, Capture Intregration, Hasselblad, Phase, Digital Transitions, B$H or Adorama has produced any introductory videos showing the use of these products WHY?

peterm1

Hi - nobody had commented on this thread in a while, but I have one question - the above discussion seems to indicate the grip on the X1D is an issue in terms of preventing infinity focus. What about using the CVF II 50C back instead - does that change the equation? Basically, I am wondering if it is possible to use the CFV II 50C back, an Alpa camera with shift, and the Rodenstock 32mm lens and still get infinity focus. I emailed Alpa with the question and will post a response here if I hear back from them. Thanks!

tcdeveau

Hi - nobody had commented on this thread in a while, but I have one question - the above discussion seems to indicate the grip on the X1D is an issue in terms of preventing infinity focus. What about using the CVF II 50C back instead - does that change the equation? Basically, I am wondering if it is possible to use the CFV II 50C back, an Alpa camera with shift, and the Rodenstock 32mm lens and still get infinity focus. I emailed Alpa with the question and will post a response here if I hear back from them. Thanks!
I briefly used the CFVII with the 40 HR and 70 HR on a 12+. No issues with the CFVII, but you wouldn't use the HXD adapter, instead the Alpa HAA adapter (https://www.alpa.swiss/products/190-010-018-alpa-backadapter-haa-mk-ii). The MkII version was improved and made specifically for the CFVII.

tcdeveau

Thanks! Wonder if the 32mm would work as well with that setup?
it should! My understanding is the HAA/CFVII combo on an Alpa 12 body will provide full range of movements, tilt, and infinity focus with any of the lenses in Alpas lens range.

the focus issue with the HXD/X1D is due to the presence of the grip on the X1D. Alpa had to design around the grip, a limitation that doesn’t exist with the CFVII. The HAA/CFVII combo should work like any other digital back regarding movements and focus etc.