The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

July in Florida Panhandle - Milky Way Photography Tips?

dave.gt

Yes, IIRC, July is a good month for Milky Way captures, right?

If not, let me know! If it is a good time, the only feasible way I can do a photo session for that would be along the coastal beach in the Destin area or within a reasonable short drive, combining a short trip with a stay in our favorite rental condo. We haven't been in years. But if we can make it happen, I can accommodate some camera therapy at night, weather permitting.

This is entirely new for me, I don't even know which way to point the camera.... so...:grin:

Any tips for the Milky Way?:)

Shashin

I would do a search for wide field astrophotography. That is simply astrophotography with a camera and a simple tripod or a tracking device of some kind. It is possible to get images with just a tripod and static camera, but the exposure time and focal length will determine how the stars trail.

With a Sony RX-1

With the RX-1

This has a quarter moon and so washes out the sky. X Pro2 and 14mm lens.

This is the same camera setup under dark skies.

If you want longer exposure than 20–30 sec, then you need a tracking mount. With a Pentax 645D:

Note the trees are blurred because the camera is moving in relation to the sky, not the landscape.

The Milky Way will be to your south. It is faint, but you can see it with your naked eye. If you can't see it, it is probably not great conditions to photograph it. Not having the moon above the horizon helps.

Ed Hurst

I can offer no help that is location-specific, but have used the 645Z (and a Nikon D800E before it) for a lot of Milky Way shots in the southern hemisphere, all without a tracker, simply using single frames.

Take a peek here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16063951@N00/sets/72157632566383126

If you think it would help to discuss shooting/processing/stories around any of these, feel free to holler either on here or in a PM and I will do whatever I can. Obviously anyone using a tracker and stacking will produce higher quality results than mine (if they can manage the masking/compositing involved in static features of the scene) but good results can be achieved these days with a single frame. But I wouldn't attempt it with a 645D. Just not good enough at high ISO. Would need a long exposure on lower ISO, and hence a tracker.

Steve Hendrix

Oh one other thing Dave. Insect repellent doesn't work in Florida. In fact it has the opposite effect, it attracts bugs rather than repels them because then they know where you are.

Steve Hendrix/CI

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh one other thing Dave. Insect repellent doesn't work in Florida. In fact it has the opposite effect, it attracts bugs rather than repels them because then they know where you are.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hope this is a bit tongue in cheek ...

I have traveled extensively in Central America and West Africa ... get more bites here in Texas because I am not rigorous about using DEET.

With 100% DEET I have seen mosquitos break down and cry ... as they cannot suck me dry.

Forget the Skin So Soft and others ... get a real product. By the way ... DEET is a fairly good solvent ... so wash your hands after applying or you may
melt most or your plastics ....

Early morning and evening you are more likely to encounter Zika and West Nile mosquitos ... daytime the Dengue mosquitos.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/mosquito-borne-diseases/index.html

I was raised in Clearwater Largo area of Florida ... in the early 60's we used to cavort behind big trucks that were fogging the area to prevent
mosquitos. Probably explains my limited lung capacity ...

DEET Paramethrins Skin So Soft ... lots of choices ... you can also mist your environment before the sun sets ...

Sounds like a great trip ... glad you are getting out for a road trip.

Regards,

Bob

dave.gt

Steve Hendrix/CI
Now, that is scary! Maybe hope for a windy night out on the beach?:)

You know, that is interesting... I don't get out after dark much around here because the mosquitos are awful. The other night with firefly chasing, I was more than happy to hang it up after half an hour. I must prepare for the rude environment both mentally and physically and Bob has some great ideas.

Riding the Road King at night was so much easier with helmet and leathers... never gave a thought to bugs until I had to stop to clean the windshield! And the clean-up after I arrived at my destination...Guess I would look a little strange dressed like that at night... LOL.

dave.gt

Thanks to all the helpful comments, photos and links!:):):)

It appears that we will have to postpone the trip to Florida because I cannot get reservations at our favorite location. Maybe in August after the crowds head back to school... At least I will have time to practice a little if that is the case.

Steve Hendrix

Hope this is a bit tongue in cheek ...

I have traveled extensively in Central America and West Africa ... get more bites here in Texas because I am not rigorous about using DEET.

With 100% DEET I have seen mosquitos break down and cry ... as they cannot suck me dry.

Forget the Skin So Soft and others ... get a real product. By the way ... DEET is a fairly good solvent ... so wash your hands after applying or you may
melt most or your plastics ....

Early morning and evening you are more likely to encounter Zika and West Nile mosquitos ... daytime the Dengue mosquitos.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/mosquito-borne-diseases/index.html

I was raised in Clearwater Largo area of Florida ... in the early 60's we used to cavort behind big trucks that were fogging the area to prevent
mosquitos. Probably explains my limited lung capacity ...

DEET Paramethrins Skin So Soft ... lots of choices ... you can also mist your environment before the sun sets ...

Sounds like a great trip ... glad you are getting out for a road trip.

Regards,

Bob

It is a bite tongue and cheek Bob, yes.

:D

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thats good to know ...

I have DEET on at the moment ... 730 in the morning on the way out to raise a couple tree canopies.

My wife read that half strength original Listerine sprayed on will repel mosquitos as it has Eucalyptol
derived from Eucalyptus oil ... however may not be in sufficient concentration for the effect. Guess she
is going to find out ... as DEET messes with her skin.

When the bugs quit responding to DEET I am moving to the mountains ... anywhere above 6000ft ...

Bob