The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 250, XF, cable based connection to tablet PC

joegl

Hello,

starting to use my XF, IQ250 combo like a large format camera for portrait sessions, I`m looking for a cable based tablet pc combination.
I need live view, 100% focus check etc.
The combination of Ipad via wlan doesn´t work stable in the field.
So any ideas?

Thanks

Joerg

tcdeveau

Hello,

starting to use my XF, IQ250 combo like a large format camera for portrait sessions, I`m looking for a cable based tablet pc combination.
I need live view, 100% focus check etc.
The combination of Ipad via wlan doesn´t work stable in the field.
So any ideas?

Thanks

Joerg
Several here have used the Microsoft Surface Pro with success. I'd look into that
-Todd

joegl

Thank you the replie,

And will that work also with the surface go system?
Or is it like the ipad os, closed system

Thanks.

Joerg

kdphotography

Surface Go is new. I'm not familiar with the tech/processor used with the Surface Go. I think the real question will be if the Surface Go (processor) is capable of running Capture One Pro to enable tethering capability, and if so, will performance be adequate?

Phase V

Any laptop is fine as long as Capture One works. I use an old Thinkpad W530 which
adds another 3kg to my equipment but hey, the XF is not a pussy cam isn´t it?

ejpeiker

Surface Go is low end. MUCH slower processor, dramatically less storage and not enough RAM, much lower screen res, etc - it's a bottom end tablet not equipped for imaging work. It's basically for on the go web browsing and email. It would likely choke on P1 images running in C1P. The price is about 20% of what a good performing model of a Surface Pro would be.

joegl

PLEASE, my friends
Sorry for beeing not precise enough.

I do not want a laptop
I do not want to process P1 files
I do not want to storage the files on the tablet.
I do not want capture pilot /its to unstable in the field

I do want to use a small tablet tethered for having a bigger live view screen, for composing and focusing, that all.
My IQ250 does not have a HDMI exit.

So, Is the surface the way to go?

Thanks again

Don Libby

Having used the original Surface as well as the II I would caution against attempting to use the new "GO" as it will be too lightweight to properly run C1 and keep up with the captures. I'd recommend either the Surface Pro with 8GB RAM (used it and it does works well) or my current configuration of the Surface Book II that has 3-USB ports on of which is a Type C and has 16GB RAM.Then again any laptop should work so long as it has the speed and connections

joegl

Having used the original Surface as well as the II I would caution against attempting to use the new "GO" as it will be too lightweight to properly run C1 and keep up with the captures. I'd recommend either the Surface Pro with 8GB RAM (used it and it does works well) or my current configuration of the Surface Book II that has 3-USB ports on of which is a Type C and has 16GB RAM.Then again any laptop should work so long as it has the speed and connections
Thanks Don,
Last question
As I will use it for large format style photography, means sticking the surface flat behind the XF, does the surface and capture one , works on vertikal position?
And what kind of cable do I need

Joerg

Don Libby

Thanks Don,Last questionAs I will use it for large format style photography, means sticking the surface flat behind the XF, does the surface and capture one , works on vertikal position?And what kind of cable do I needJoerg
You should have no problem with the orientation of the screen on either the Surface Pro or Book. The Surface Pro will work better for you as it is all self contained with the exception of the removable keyboard. The Book is neat however once you remove the screen from the base you also loose the ports thus making the Pro a better choice. All you need is a USB cable. If it were me this is what I'd order .. Surface Pro Intel Core i7 / 512GB SSD / 16GB RAM Don

ejpeiker

Thanks Don,
Last question
As I will use it for large format style photography, means sticking the surface flat behind the XF, does the surface and capture one , works on vertikal position?
And what kind of cable do I need

Joerg
Yes, it will work in vertical orientation and automatically rotate into that by default.