The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX and X1D: Experience with hand held shooting

sc_john

For those who work with these cameras, do you find they can be used hand held in situations that would be a challenge for high MP FF 35mm (D810, D850, 5DMkIV, 5DS, etc. Do you see a real benefit to mirrorless in MF for hand held work? Thanks.

John

tcdeveau

What would you consider a situation that is a challenge for high MP FF 35mm?

Most of the handheld work I used to do was weddings/engagements. I'm not doing any more of that type of stuff, but if I were, I'd use the X1D for the engagement shoots and portrait shoots for the wedding, and 35mm or APS-C for everything else. I did one engagement shoot with the X1D and that went fine, but I don't think I'd consider that a "challenging" situation. I also found in that line of work clients could care less regarding what you shoot with and just care about the finished product, so don't see much value in mirrorless MF for engagements/weddings.

In my experience, the benefit in mirrorless MF for handheld work is compared to traditional MF and not FF 35mm. With the X1D I find it a lot more usable handheld compared to the H system, Pentax 645z, and P1 XF/DF, but if I had a lot of handheld work to do I'd stick with FF 35mm or even APS-C. Mirrorless MF has opened up the use of MF for situations I traditionally reserved for 35mm (such as astrophotography), but they still may not be the right or best tools for the job depending on your use.

I'm currently using the Fuji X system for my handheld work, which is just personal and family portraits at the moment. It does what I need it to, is smaller and lighter than the Hasselblad X system, MUCH cheaper than the Hasselblad, and I don't care if it gets banged up a bit. I also rent 35mm for special occasions, and the last wedding I did I just rented a D800, 24-70, 70-200, and SB900 (I'm still more comfortably shooting Nikon than Fuji based on ergonomics, menus, buttons, etc).

Regardless of the system/brand/manufacturer, considerations like optical image stabilization, IBIS, AF speed and accuracy, focus tracking, quicker boot time, higher FPS, smaller file size, larger lens selection (a 70-200mm f2.8 IS/VR lens is my favorite handheld lens), better speedlight compatibility, etc make 35mm and APS-C systems better tools for heavy handheld work IMHO than mirrorless MF, and make handheld shooting easier. Of course that's just my opinion and YMMV.
-Todd

sc_john

What would you consider a situation that is a challenge for high MP FF 35mm?
Todd,

Good question, and thanks for your comments. First of all, photography is for my pleasure, only; I sometimes sell prints through a gallery (but not a driving reason for me). I use a D850 w/ Zeiss Milvus lenses. When hand held, I am typically using a shutter speed of 1/1.5x or 1/2x (or more) times the reciprocal of the focal length. VR would make this a non-issue, but no VR with Milvus lenses. So, IMHO, hand held shooting of a high MP FF 35mm DSLR is trade-off of the shutter speed you are comfortable with for chosen f/stop and cleanliness of ISO needed to get there for sharp resolution on the smallish pixels. Shooting a a medium format DSLR (Phase XF, Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad H or V) adds the complexity of greater weight, larger mirror and less flexibility to crank up ISO. So, I guess my question is really about the impact of lighter weight, elimination of mirror slap and potentially improved ISO performance with medium format mirrorless.

Also, while, I really appreciate the D850, I have always preferred the look of MF images... tonality, focus roll off, etc. Hence, my question. Maybe it is all in my head, but...

Thanks again for your comments.

John

tcdeveau

Todd,

Good question, and thanks for your comments. First of all, photography is for my pleasure, only; I sometimes sell prints through a gallery (but not a driving reason for me). I use a D850 w/ Zeiss Milvus lenses. When hand held, I am typically using a shutter speed of 1/1.5x or 1/2x (or more) times the reciprocal of the focal length. VR would make this a non-issue, but no VR with Milvus lenses. So, IMHO, hand held shooting of a high MP FF 35mm DSLR is trade-off of the shutter speed you are comfortable with for chosen f/stop and cleanliness of ISO needed to get there for sharp resolution on the smallish pixels. Shooting a a medium format DSLR (Phase XF, Pentax 645Z, Hasselblad H or V) adds the complexity of greater weight, larger mirror and less flexibility to crank up ISO. So, I guess my question is really about the impact of lighter weight, elimination of mirror slap and potentially improved ISO performance with medium format mirrorless.

Also, while, I really appreciate the D850, I have always preferred the look of MF images... tonality, focus roll off, etc. Hence, my question. Maybe it is all in my head, but...

Thanks again for your comments.

John
Hey John thanks for adding some context. If you're used to the D850 with Milvus lenses, then the X1D/GFX wouldn't be a whole lot different for your purposes, other than sometimes I find I need greater than 1/2x the reciprocal of the focal length with the X1D. You'd also gain AF compared to the Milvus, and a GFX/X1D combo may be lighter. Lack of mirror slap is definitely nice. The EVF is definitely a change from the OVF of the Nikon, so you'd definitely want to try out the GFX and X1D because some people simply don't like the EVF experience, especially with the X1D
-Todd

sc_john

Thanks, Todd. Regarding the EVF, I would most certainly rent & try before buy. I have had mixed reactions to them.

John

mota25

Thanks, Todd. Regarding the EVF, I would most certainly rent & try before buy. I have had mixed reactions to them.

John
I am just a hobbyist. Coming from 5dmk3/85L I used to shoot 1/200 or higher otherwise I will get some camera shake. Now using GFX with 110mm f2, I am shooting hand held at 1/125 (my sync speed) and I have no sharpness issues. But then I am not shooting landscapes, only portraits. Earlier I was thinking I would need to use my monopod but it seems GFX with 110mm balances nicely and is a great combo.

Bobby