The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stolen Technical Camera kit

Honus

Toward the end of an otherwise wonderful trip through Portugal and Spain, I had my photography bag stolen on Monday (July 2) while checking into Casa Mimosa Hotel in Barcelona. I had everything in a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro bag. It was right behind me while I was registering and there were two staff members nearby. When filing the police report they said they would access the security cameras and notify me of their findings (I won't hold my breath).

My technical camera kit included:
Cambo WRS-1200
Rodenstock 55mm f4.5 APO Sironar Digital (Serial# 11862075)
Phase One P45+ (Serial# DT031830)

Included was a Leica M4 (Black repaint - Serial# 1251484) and 40mm Summicron lens (Serial# 2744610). Also included was a Fuji X100F and lots of accessories (filters, hoods, light meters, memory cards, etc.).

Should anyone come across any of these items on eBay or other sites please let me know. Also, I will be looking to replace these items, so if anyone has equivalent gear they are selling send me a PM.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

B L

Ver sorry to read your post.Please let us know the outcome of CCTV footage.Best wishes.Bashir

algrove

So very sorry.

Barcelona

Oh, not surprised as I had all my gear and some cash stolen years ago right near the Sagrada Familia. Police told me they knew the guy from my description, but so many criminals are brought in the judge lets them go and to meet their fine they steal again. Never ending circle. Back then male youth (say under 35) was around 50% in Spain. Never want to go back.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
So very sorry.

Barcelona

Oh, not surprised as I had all my gear and some cash stolen years ago right near the Sagrada Familia. Police told me they knew the guy from my description, but so many criminals are brought in the judge lets them go and to meet their fine they steal again. Never ending circle. Back then male youth (say under 35) was around 50% in Spain. Never want to go back.
Same experience ....two of my team members had their wallets lifted mid day and they almost got mine except somebody warned me in time . The issue is the attitude of the police .....theft under $400 isn t prosecuted and most claims for more are not followed up on. Never going there.

Oh, Robert, what a disturbing loss. But between the lines I hope I’ve glimpsed a silver lining: if you’re replacing everyrhing,I hope it means you were well insured?

Condolences,

Kirk

bab

Barcelona is the number one city in the world for thefts followed by Vatican City there have been countless videos on this. Barcelona even has a training program for these thief’s in Vatican or Rome it’s usually gypsy living on the river who make their daily living from your misery.
The police know who these thief’s are they probably have arrested them each many times put them in jail for a couple of days and then let them out.
These thief’s must fence the goods locally! I hate to say this but from prior experience the police usually benefit or some of the police working the small crime details...

gurtch

Thanks for posting. It was a wake up call for me.....I realized I have two kits with a ton of high end lenses, etc, and I have not recorded their serial numbers anywhere!!!!
Dave in NJ

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Having had to go through this myself a while ago, when scumbags stole my Alpa system, photograph everything, keep every receipt and be prepared as a tech cam user to have to convince the insurance company that yes, as an amateur, you really do shoot with gear worth/costing this much. State Farm tried so hard to label me as a pro (to invalidate coverage) and I ended up trading tax returns etc to prove that I wasn't.

hcubell

Having had to go through this myself a while ago, when scumbags stole my Alpa system, photograph everything, keep every receipt and be prepared as a tech cam user to have to convince the insurance company that yes, as an amateur, you really do shoot with gear worth/costing this much. State Farm tried so hard to label me as a pro (to invalidate coverage) and I ended up trading tax returns etc to prove that I wasn't.
It's all about which insurance company you use, and the type of coverage. I have a personal property floater with Chubb on my medium format Hasselblad/Phase One camera, back, lenses and related equipment. No deductible, and it covers both theft and lost items. I had a loss involving my RRS tripod and Arca Swiss head. I called my agent about it, within two hours I had a call from an adjuster with Chubb and had a brief conversation with them about what happened. They asked me to send some evidence of the replacement value, so I sent them links to the B&H web site. By the end of the day, a check in the full amount of the loss was in the mail. Same service as I received 5 or 6 years ago when I dropped a Hasselblad 50-110 zoom on a rock. Chubb isn't the cheapest. Just the best.

vjbelle

Good to hear about Chubb. I am also with State Farm with a Personal Articles policy which covers anything with no deductible but I have never had to use it for something major...... thank god. May be time to look into other carriers.

Victor

hcubell

Good to hear about Chubb. I am also with State Farm with a Personal Articles policy which covers anything with no deductible but I have never had to use it for something major...... thank god. May be time to look into other carriers.

Victor
I would compare the premiums. Chubb may be more expensive, but in this case, I think it's worth it. We have very expensive equipment!