The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

technical or medium format and narrow depth of field

ibear88

Hi, there may be an obvious answer to my question, but I searched the medium format forum and could not find it, so here I am.

When looking at the "fun with" threads, I notice that technical camera images generally are very sharp and often include, I assume, some tilt to obtain very deep depth of field. The detail of such images is stunning.

Back in my 4x5 film days, I also liked to make images of very narrow depth of field too. I don't see that among technical camera images. Its quite possible I've missed them or I'm not looking in the right place. But, is there an optical or other technical reason that a technical camera with a digital back may not be suitable for narrow depth of field?

thanks, Jeff

Shashin

Because, like with 4x5, lenses are optimized to f/11. Maximum aperture for most lenses is f/5.6. Also, most technical camera users are interested in landscapes, which has a preference toward a greater DoF.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Because, like with 4x5, lenses are optimized to f/11. Maximum aperture for most lenses is f/5.6. Also, most technical camera users are interested in landscapes, which has a preference toward a greater DoF.
+1 to that. Just let me add the obvious: Since the digital sensor used on technical cameras is much smaller than 4x5, DoF will be much deeper when shooting at the same aperture and FoV.

ibear88

Hi,
I get it that landscape photographers may prefer deep depth of field. I like it too. I think my question is more one about the capacity for the digital sensor and technical camera to do short depth of field.

I'm not that knowledgable about the physics of optics but I will take your word that a small sensor will have a deeper depth of field compared to a piece of 4x5 film. Does this attribute of the small sensor make it ineffective to use for the purpose of short depth of field compositions when coupled with a tech camera? Like, can you get a Leica M composition of short depth of field and soft background with a tech camera and digital back combo?

In 4x5, I have used reverse tilt and I have used heavy swing to induce short depth of field. Is that possible with a tech camera and a digital sensor? I've read so much about the limitations of shift with technical cameras, I wonder if those kind of limitations preclude the use of a reverse tilt or swings to effectively induce short depth of field (and smooth bokeh) in the digital and tech camera world?

If anybody has a link to short depth of field images made with a tech camera and digital back, I would be interested.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Jeff

ibear88

Thanks for the link to the Cambridge calculator. That helps. The calculator clarifies the correlation, of the size of the sensor or film plane, with depth of field.

One tech camera, including shifts, that could do both high resolution and great bokeh would be nice. Perhaps, not practical. Sometime I should rent one along with a long lens and see how I like the results. I also see that Alpa has an adapter to the M lenses, although it requires an electronic shutter and it becomes a quite pricey kit.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
One tech camera, including shifts, that could do both high resolution and great bokeh would be nice. Perhaps, not practical. Sometime I should rent one.
We have an office in NYC and LA and you'd be welcome to use the tech camera and back equipment we have on-hand to test this workflow. No charge if you're doing so at the shop or nearby, and if it's looking useful you could rent it to use it in longer/more-extended testing.

Ed Hurst

There is a long, precise answer. But the practical answer is this: depth of field is a function of focal length and aperture. Larger formats involve a longer lens for the same angle of view, so less depth of field. But shooting a digi back on a technical camera involves shooting a format no larger than using the same back on an SLR. So no different depth of field.

So no advantage there, unless you use movements to create the effect you want.

Alan

I also see that Alpa has an adapter to the M lenses, although it requires an electronic shutter and it becomes a quite pricey kit.
If you have an electronic (IQ3100) or focal plane (Alpa FPS, Fuji GFX) shutter, you could use fast MF SLR lenses (Pentax 67 105/2.4, etc).

ibear88

Experimenting with the Cambridge calculator - it looks like one can get to narrow depth of field if using say a lens longer than say 110mm.

I see that Alpa offers a mount for M lenses, although it requires an electronic shutter (or an focal plane shutter alternative). For any scene with movement to it, the electronic shutter sounds like it can introduce distortion. But, the ability to for rise/fall and shift within the image circle is attractive, if not essential.

It would be interesting, to me, to test drive the two alternatives. Perhaps, as Doug offers, when I am in LA sometime.

Jeff