The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro and X1D

gmfotografie

Hi!
Does anybody has some tipps for my X1D and an extreme macro?
Which lenses, tubes, closeups, do i need for such a setup?

Best Michael

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

What do you mean by extreme macro? If we understand the question, it may be easier to give an answer.

Unfortunately, it may be the case that solutions are not abundant.

Best regards
Erik

Hi!

Best Michael

fotophil

The X1D native support for macro is limited to the 120mm macro lens which is limited to 1:2 closeup ratio. The HC System has 2 extension tubes and a 120mm macro HC Lens that has a 1:1 closeup ratio which will function in manual focus mode on the X1D using the X-H Adapter.

sog1927

The X1D native support for macro is limited to the 120mm macro lens which is limited to 1:2 closeup ratio. The HC System has 2 extension tubes and a 120mm macro HC Lens that has a 1:1 closeup ratio which will function in manual focus mode on the X1D using the X-H Adapter.
IMNSHO, the H system isn't particularly good at this, either, since it lacks a bellows or any good way to adapt specialized macro optics or enlarger lenses (no equivalent of the old V-series microscope shutter/lens adapter combination). If you're shooting at >> 1:1, you probably want lenses that are designed for that purpose.

I suppose you could use an Actus, but I haven't gotten one yet.

My current, thoroughly unsatisfactory "solution" to this is to adapt my V-series equipment: Fotodiox V->X adapter, V-series autobellows, maybe some tubes, my V-series->RMS adapter, and a Luminar or Photar. This kludge doesn't work very well because:

1) THERE'S NO :cussing: CABLE RELEASE FOR THE :cussing: X1D
2) You have to use the electronic shutter, so no flash (vibration is a real issue, as is getting enough light)
3) Did I mention THERE'S NO :cussing: CABLE RELEASE FOR THE :cussing: X1D?

I'm sort of casually looking for an old V-series manual bellows: this might let me use the microscope shutter, although it would be awkward and clumsy to trip it in conjunction with the ES.

fotophil

The 120mm Hasselblad HC Lens has an internal leaf shutter which will sync to electronic flash. The 1:1 range provides continuous focus over a wide range. The additional of a high quality duplex diopter lens such as the Canon 500D provides additional magnification as do the extension tubes. The X1D self timer is a substitute for the lack of a cable release. It is probably possible to adapt an V Series bellows using a X1D to V lens adapter and there may be microscope stage adapters with a built-in shutter but the huge technical challenge is to interface with the X1D shutter.

dave.gt

Self-timer!!!:):):)

I don't use a cable release, timer is fine with me, but I shoot maybe a dozen macros in six months and none professionally.:):):)

Iirc, Ming Thein is into watches, and macros. Any discussions about that on his website?

sog1927

The 120mm Hasselblad HC Lens has an internal leaf shutter which will sync to electronic flash. The 1:1 range provides continuous focus over a wide range. The additional of a high quality duplex diopter lens such as the Canon 500D provides additional magnification as do the extension tubes. The X1D self timer is a substitute for the lack of a cable release. It is probably possible to adapt an V Series bellows using a X1D to V lens adapter and there may be microscope stage adapters with a built-in shutter but the huge technical challenge is to interface with the X1D shutter.
The 16mm Zeiss Luminar was corrected for magnification of 10x-40x and covers 4x5. I don't have that one - I have the 25 and the 40 (6x-20x and 4x-10x, respectively, also with 4x5 coverage). They're all diffraction-limited wide-open, I believe.

Hasselblad made a lens adapter and a microscope shutter specifically to adapt these sorts of lenses to V-series cameras: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801284793-USE/hasselblad_microscope_shutter.html
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hasselbl...Luminar-40037-Condition-3E-7164-/232754821633

Using the self-timer at these magnifications is a pretty dicey proposition. It's very hard not to displace the camera when you trip the timer (especially with a few hundred mm of extension). I've had some luck with the Phocus app, but a wired release would be preferable. A real, Hasselblad V-series adapter that let you use the microscope shutter would be handy, too.

fotophil

"Using the self-timer at these magnifications is a pretty dicey proposition. It's very hard not to displace the camera when you trip the timer (especially with a few hundred mm of extension)."

Macro photography especially with slow high mag lenses is very dicey so electronic flash in conjunction with the self timer may help. Without the benefit of electronic flash, a longer delay. like 10sec. might help.

"I've had some luck with the Phocus app, but a wired release would be preferable."

Yes we all want a wired release but apparently Hasselblad will not make one for the X1D

"A real, Hasselblad V-series adapter that let you use the microscope shutter would be handy, too."

An adapter that would allow the use of any of the V lens built-in shutters would be wonderful but it is another item that apparently Hasselblad will not make available for the X1D.

V

Vivek

Lenses: Zeiss Luminars, Leica Summars, Nikon Macro Nikkors (not the F mount stuff).

A X1D mount to M42 adapter, focus helicoids with M42 mounts, M42 to appropriate adapters for the macro lenses.

Use the E shutter in the camera. Light up the subject properly.

These are general principles and do not particularly belong to the X1D alone.

Hi!

Best Michael

sog1927

"Using the self-timer at these magnifications is a pretty dicey proposition. It's very hard not to displace the camera when you trip the timer (especially with a few hundred mm of extension)."

Macro photography especially with slow high mag lenses is very dicey so electronic flash in conjunction with the self timer may help. Without the benefit of electronic flash, a longer delay. like 10sec. might help.
It's an acquired taste - sort of like caviar. :D

I got into this peculiar pursuit when I had to photograph some integrated circuits once.

It's not just the exposure time itself that's the issue: your subject at these magnifications may be only 1-2 mm on a side, and you're filling the frame with it. Pressing the shutter button to actuate the timer can move things enough to completely alter your composition - even with a really good tripod and head. A setup like this is really not very difficult with a 500-series camera and an appropriate flash. It's all but impossible with the X1D.

"I've had some luck with the Phocus app, but a wired release would be preferable."

Yes we all want a wired release but apparently Hasselblad will not make one for the X1D
Being a perennial optimist, I am not convinced of this. I do think they're probably concentrating their efforts on filling out the lens line and prototyping the follow-on product, because their resources are limited and those efforts will have a much bigger return. A wired release came in #1 on the desired features poll over on the HDF. I know people from Hasselblad are over there - I can't imagine they're not paying attention to that.

"A real, Hasselblad V-series adapter that let you use the microscope shutter would be handy, too."

An adapter that would allow the use of any of the V lens built-in shutters would be wonderful but it is another item that apparently Hasselblad will not make available for the X1D.
Apparently not - although they've actually done about half the work with the H->V adapter.

I think I can work around this deficency for this particular application with an old-style manual bellows (that has the cocking mechanism for the shutter and a release) rather than the auto bellows (which has a coupling shaft back to the body). I think I that will let me close the shutter prior to exposure - then I can trip the ES on a fairly long exposure setting (maybe 4-8 seconds) and fire the microscope shutter with flash to make the actual exposure.

cly

I want to have an adapter XCD - to M42 and M52 Tubus - the rest is clear...
If you need an extension tube anyway, wouldn't it be possible stack two adapters? X1d -> Leica M -> M42. Also, you might contact Novoflex and ask if there are any plans to manufacture the adapter you are looking for.

Chris

V

Vivek

If you need an extension tube anyway, wouldn't it be possible stack two adapters? X1d -> Leica M -> M42. Also, you might contact Novoflex and ask if there are any plans to manufacture the adapter you are looking for.

Chris
+1

You could also consider X1D -> Canon EOS -> M42. Canon EOS mount is much wider than Leica M and that has its own advantages.

Or you could conatact one of the adapter makers from China to make a custom adapter for you. This is probably quicker and cheaper than contacting Novoflex.

danlindberg

Just back in Spain from spending a full month in Sweden. I have been looking forward going back because I knew my new X1D -> Alpa adaptor was waiting for me.

This is the very first configuration I have done and it works perfect like this :thumbup: Here I get both tilt and swing at the same time. Nice.
I have plenty of ideas to take this further so I will keep you posted if any of those ideas work!

jduncan

IMNSHO, the H system isn't particularly good at this, either, since it lacks a bellows or any good way to adapt specialized macro optics or enlarger lenses (no equivalent of the old V-series microscope shutter/lens adapter combination). If you're shooting at >> 1:1, you probably want lenses that are designed for that purpose.

I suppose you could use an Actus, but I haven't gotten one yet.

My current, thoroughly unsatisfactory "solution" to this is to adapt my V-series equipment: Fotodiox V->X adapter, V-series autobellows, maybe some tubes, my V-series->RMS adapter, and a Luminar or Photar. This kludge doesn't work very well because:

1) THERE'S NO :cussing: CABLE RELEASE FOR THE :cussing: X1D
2) You have to use the electronic shutter, so no flash (vibration is a real issue, as is getting enough light)
3) Did I mention THERE'S NO :cussing: CABLE RELEASE FOR THE :cussing: X1D?

I'm sort of casually looking for an old V-series manual bellows: this might let me use the microscope shutter, although it would be awkward and clumsy to trip it in conjunction with the ES.
Hi,

Men relax :), it's 2018 trigger it with your phone,
You don't have even to touch the camera.

Jokes aside it will be great if it has a cable release or even better a simple wireless remote like some Nikon but it does not.
Hasselblad should solve the issue by releasing an App for the Apple watch. The Apple watches have actual CPUs, so it should be easy.
No more cables dangling from places, moving in the wind.

Best regards,