The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Cambo Actus

vjbelle

I finally made the plunge and purchased the GFX and three lenses (45, 63, 110). All of the lenses are stellar although it took a couple of copies for the 110. I had also tried a 120 but it exhibited a really weird anomaly on the left hand side transitioning from in focus to out of focus. Its hard to put into words but I have seen this before with a Batis that I returned. The transition from in focus to out of focus is very abrupt and looks chunky compared to the very smooth in focus to out of focus on the other side of the image. It took forever to get a 200mm bellows for my Actus but it finally arrived today so I was able to see how my Schneider Digitars worked. My 35mm will not focus to infinity. I don't know how the Hassy would handle this but the GFX just don't have enough room. My 60mm is scary sharp but is limited to about 5mm of movement because the rear element is just too close to the opening of the camera..... but it is scary, scary sharp and something I would always bring along on a shoot although without using any movements. All of my other lenses (72, 100, 120, 150, 180) work with lots of movements. I'm able to use the short rail for all of my lenses although I am limited to 13 feet close focus with the 180mm. No big deal as that lens would always be used for landscape and if necessary I could always switch to a long rail. I'm able to register the lenses in the GFX so that I finally have at least lens focal length data embedded in the EXIF. The entire setup is very slick and, so far, this has turned out to be a very good purchase for me.....

Cheers.....

Victor

ErikKaffehr

Nice to hear! Thanks for sharing!

Best regards
Erik

I finally made the plunge and purchased the GFX and three lenses (45, 63, 110). All of the lenses are stellar although it took a couple of copies for the 110. I had also tried a 120 but it exhibited a really weird anomaly on the left hand side transitioning from in focus to out of focus. Its hard to put into words but I have seen this before with a Batis that I returned. The transition from in focus to out of focus is very abrupt and looks chunky compared to the very smooth in focus to out of focus on the other side of the image. It took forever to get a 200mm bellows for my Actus but it finally arrived today so I was able to see how my Schneider Digitars worked. My 35mm will not focus to infinity. I don't know how the Hassy would handle this but the GFX just don't have enough room. My 60mm is scary sharp but is limited to about 5mm of movement because the rear element is just too close to the opening of the camera..... but it is scary, scary sharp and something I would always bring along on a shoot although without using any movements. All of my other lenses (72, 100, 120, 150, 180) work with lots of movements. I'm able to use the short rail for all of my lenses although I am limited to 13 feet close focus with the 180mm. No big deal as that lens would always be used for landscape and if necessary I could always switch to a long rail. I'm able to register the lenses in the GFX so that I finally have at least lens focal length data embedded in the EXIF. The entire setup is very slick and, so far, this has turned out to be a very good purchase for me.....

Cheers.....

Victor

Gerd

......... I'm able to register the lenses in the GFX so that I finally have at least lens focal length data embedded in the EXIF. .............
Try the audio EXIF from the GFX. Since you can then more details, e.g. record for the tilt / swing / shift.

For the short focal lengths I use on the Cambo Actus the 645 Pentax Lens Plate with P645 A35mm and P645 D FA 25mm. The image circle is sufficiently large for movements with both lenses. Especially with short focal lengths usually less movement is needed.

Have fun with the GFX ....

Greeting Gerd

algrove

So Victor as many of us are contemplating a mirrorless 50MP, but what convniced you to get the GFX? Mainly use with your Cambo setup?

vjbelle

Lou..... both the Fuji and the Hassy would/will work with the Cambo but I knew from the start that I would more than likely choose the Fuji because of their rich R&D experience. I also knew that I was buying into a lens system and though both would probably be very good Fuji had, again, a history of making superb lenses. The timing was right as the discounts made sense to me and I had 30 days to see if things would work out OK. Even though I had a couple of returns for lenses I am still surprised that I kept the 45mm and 63mm first copies. Both are just exceptional lenses and I'm real fussy. My experiences with the 120mm and my first 110mm are nothing compared to the junk that I have been used to from other lens manufacturers. I am sure that many/most users would have kept those first copies. I was really fussy with the 110mm and the second copy is just superb..... very unlike going from lens to lens with Sony or Zeiss. The camera itself is very sophisticated with anything I would ever need especially since I am mostly a manual user. Focus bracketing almost does away with tilt or swing.... the only thing really missing is rise which I can get with the Cambo. Shift can easily be replicated with panning in most circumstances but rise is not so easy. I understand and appreciate the industrial design of the Hassy but I am not a street shooter. Can't imagine a camera not being on a tripod.... but that's just me.

So..... I'm a happy camper so far......

Victor

Edit: I could go on and on about all of the camera particulars but most importantly its very easy to manually focus. I am 99 to 100 percent accurate with manual focus... very little practice needed. Its also very easy to check focus with either the LCD screen or EVF although I prefer the LCD screen. It does require using two memory cards and saving the JPG as extra large and fine but it does the job. This is not in the same league as a Phase 3100 for LCD sharpness but its all very doable.

Last edited:

algrove

Since I am an Alpa user the new X1D module could interest me especially because I am a street shooter when not shooting landscape. I hand held a Pentax 645Z on the street so the X1D could work, but if they do away with the 50MP I know after using the IQ3100 I could never hand hold a 100MP unless I could shoot at 1/4000 with every shot.

vjbelle

Lou..... FWIW you should be aware of the limitations of the X1D on any Alpa due to FFD and having to work with various helicals. I don't believe any of the wides will work. Also the weight of the STC plus lens plus adapter plus X1D starts to become something crying for a tripod. Way too heavy for me to be carrying around. The camera plus native lenses is another story and easily something that can be carried around all day long.

The X1D does have the advantage over the GFX of having a slightly shorter FFD (20mm vs 27mm). So, on a Cambo the X1D would easily be able to have all movements with my 60mm Digitar while that lens on a GFX is limited to only 5mm movement and only in one direction at a time. But..... 60mm is probably as wide as is possible on the X1D although I have no direct experience regarding this.

Cheers.....

Victor

algrove

Victor

I should probably keep my technical camera needs/use separate from any street needs/wants.

So I tried the original Sony A7R (NO), and lately tried the A7Riii (NO) on this one mainly due to the extensive menu coming from a more simplistic and precise (for me) Leica M menu and ergonomics. That being said I still like my 42MP Rx1R2 and have not changed the menu in a very long time (yeah).

For travel I would like a FF camera with a 24-105 range zoom to keep it simple, but in my mind I always imagine going back to a MF camera for AF street work when wanting AF.

Boinger

Lou..... FWIW you should be aware of the limitations of the X1D on any Alpa due to FFD and having to work with various helicals. I don't believe any of the wides will work. Also the weight of the STC plus lens plus adapter plus X1D starts to become something crying for a tripod. Way too heavy for me to be carrying around. The camera plus native lenses is another story and easily something that can be carried around all day long.

The X1D does have the advantage over the GFX of having a slightly shorter FFD (20mm vs 27mm). So, on a Cambo the X1D would easily be able to have all movements with my 60mm Digitar while that lens on a GFX is limited to only 5mm movement and only in one direction at a time. But..... 60mm is probably as wide as is possible on the X1D although I have no direct experience regarding this.

Cheers.....

Victor
I have used the HR 40 but the rear element enters the actus mount. (not into the camera though)

Edit: and you only get about 4mm-5mm of movement.

Last edited:

retcheto

Ive gotten full movements with an X1D and a Rodenstock 55mm so far. I can’t remember if I’ve tried extreme tilts, I think I have with no problem

vjbelle

I have used the HR 40 but the rear element enters the actus mount. (not into the camera though)

Edit: and you only get about 4mm-5mm of movement.
This is the same for my 60mm Digitar (the rear element enters the Actus mount) but I do get an easy 5mm worth of movement with about 2mm of wiggle room to spare. I don't have any technical information regarding the 60XL as it was 'post' the publication of the 'Digitar' lenses but I do for the Rody which has a FFD of 69.5mm. The 60mm Digitar is more than likely very close to that and the rear element is probably just a little smaller than the Rody giving me a little more room. If I were ever to buy a wide Rody it would more than likely be the 40mm.

Victor

Edit: I also don't use any lens mount other than the Actus Copal 0 mount. If the lens happens/ed to be in another mount then its easy to remove and place into a Copal 0 mount. At that point the maximum movement potential is available and the minimum weight potential is obtained.

vjbelle

This is a quick iPhone shot of the GFX and Actus with 200mm bellows and 60mm Digitar. Its an extremely compact high precision light system.

Victor

Attachments