The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Field monitor - tech cam and IQ3100

0beone

hi there,
Is anyone out there using a field monitor on their IQ back?
What are your thoughts and experience's.

i am thinking of a 7" version to go with my kit and would be interested to know if it would be a waste of good money...

Cheers and thanks
Frank

dchew

Hi Frank,
I thought about it a while back, but ultimately decided to deal with the image on the back. The IQ screen isn't the best, but I've never come home and said, "I would have captured a better image if I had a better screen in the field." I guess I learned to interpret what is sharp and what isn't using the live view image. One thing Steve Combs and I noticed in Iceland: the live view image appears to have more detail than the jpeg rendered after capture. Ever since then I've been ignoring the captured image when it comes to detail/sharpness. I do use it for evaluating exposure. That, of course, requires interpretation too! But that's another subject...

Dave

Last edited:

Jamgolf

With Credo 60 I used to carry a Surface Pro and it really did make a difference (to me). With an IQ3 series back, I felt the need for an external monitor was not large. So, I parted ways with the Surface Pro and now rely on the digital back screen entirely. I do carry a cheapish loupe which sometimes comes handy in very bright/sunny conditions to judge critical focus.

narikin

SmallHD 5" on camera Focus Monitor - it has 600nits brightness, so you can see it really well on a sunny day. (many others fail in this respect). Connects to your miniHDMI port on the IQ3-100.

I find using the screen on the back unreliable - its too small and too dim.

Also use Surface Pro 4 when working tethered. They have a new one out - the 'Surface Go', which should do the job too, and is smaller and very affordable, but not sure of screen brightness. Couldn't find that figure anywhere online.

jng

I started shooting tethered to a Macbook (the version that replaced the Macbook Air) when using the IQ160 in the field. This helped me minimize the times I'd arrive home disappointed by out of focus images, given the poor live view of the older CCD back, not to mention my aging eyes and my inability to hit focus reliably on the ground glass. It's too early to know whether I'll continue to tether now that I've taken the 100 Mp plunge. At least now I can opt to leave the laptop stowed if conditions are poor or I'm in a hurry, but I still like being able evaluate composition and focus on the larger screen. It's also nice to be able to enter metadata (like information re: shift) on the spot. YMMV, of course...

John

Frederic

SmallHD 5" on camera Focus Monitor - it has 600nits brightness, so you can see it really well on a sunny day. (many others fail in this respect). Connects to your miniHDMI port on the IQ3-100.

I find using the screen on the back unreliable - its too small and too dim.

Also use Surface Pro 4 when working tethered. They have a new one out - the 'Surface Go', which should do the job too, and is smaller and very affordable, but not sure of screen brightness. Couldn't find that figure anywhere online.
420 nits max for the Surface Go, according to some reviewers tests. Pretty decent

JeRuFo

420 nits max for the Surface Go, according to some reviewers tests. Pretty decent
That should be plenty, even more so because you can decide where you hold it. And it's way more versatile than just a monitor even when used as a monitor with all the C1 features.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’ve found capture pilot adequate for what I need. Normally just use my iPhone X, works great for focus and composing on Cambo DB. I have on occasion used it with my iPad Pro, pretty sweet to see that great big image. If I could flip and invert it, it would be like working with an 8x10 view camera :)

0beone

Hey, thanks gentlemen for your views.

Whilst the live view on the back is pretty good, the size is the thing that is my problem. As John (jng) mentioned, ageing eyesight is my concern and I think that I may be well served with this option.
In any event they are not too expensive so might just give it a go.

many thanks all
Cheers
Frank

kdphotography

SmallHD makes excellent monitors that work well with the Phase IQ with the HDMI cord option.

If you want the power of tethering, the tablet form factor if the Surface Pro is hard to beat.

Regardless of approach, the most difficult issue (not a deal killer) is how to handle glare from the sun. (dark cloth, hand, hat, etc)

Ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the rear LCD and a loupe. Like most, I don't rely on the jpg for sharpness vs the live view. The final result matches the live view but the jpg always ends up softer than the final raw.

I have the SmallHD 503 but haven't used it much after I bought it because I wasn't able to move the live view point around once connected which the LCD easily supports.

I probably should revisit Capture Pilot but I was so disappointed by the IQ260 performance and earlier versions that I've never really used it since. I know my IQ3100 is much improved but once disappointed I kind of abandoned this solution.

BFD

I do iPad all the time. Once in a while I get a connection glitch that requires complete reboot of iPad and IQ3 to recover but overall works really well.
IMG_4553.jpg