The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideas for attaching umbrella to tripod?

retcheto

I like to shoot in storms and I don't want to have to hold up an umbrella. I've never been happy with plastic coverings for the camera, they just get in the way for me.

I'm thinking of using some sort of clamp on the tripod to hold a large golf umbrella in place, leaving my hands free.

Anyone have any tips on a good setup for doing this?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't have any useful ideas. But I would caution to make sure whatever solution you end up with fails-safe. If the wind picks up and a gust comes up under the umbrella you don't want it to upend your tripod and risk damage to your camera. Then again, you probably don't want it to detach and become a pointy flying hazard both for your safety and the safety (and implied liability) of those around you.

Leigh

Attach umbrella to tripod ? ? ?

That's a good way to spend your time picking up the camera and tripod with a sail attached.

- Leigh

jng

I agree that attaching an umbrella to the (same) tripod is probably a terrible idea. Even if the whole thing doesn't set sail or fall over, this would be sure to transmit vibrations to the camera. Otherwise the idea of attaching the umbrella to your backpack (or wedging it in between the pack and your back) seems like a good alternative.

One great innovation from the (in)famous Capture Integration/Pigs workshops is the use of disposable shower caps, the kind you find in hotels. They may not cover the entire camera + lens (unless your rig is smaller than your head - I'll let you ponder that for a bit) but can at least protect the electronic bits from getting soaked.

John

retcheto

The ground spike sounds like a good idea. That’s a good point that a gust of wind could be trouble. In the end I’ll probably get tired of carrying more gear and end up holding it myself anyways. Thanks for the tips guys

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Might be better to attach it to yourself ... with a backpack that has a tripod holder.
I have a good friend who shoots for MLS team Real Salt Lake, and he used a piece of PVC pipe and a harness to hold an umbrella on his back when shooting during bad weather. Says it works pretty good.

dave.gt

Ed,

That looks elegant... do you not run into winds especially on locations like you have shown? Early mornings seem calm enough, though.

Ed Hurst

Ed,

That looks elegant... do you not run into winds especially on locations like you have shown? Early mornings seem calm enough, though.
Hi Dave,

I do experience winds a lot, but am not often shooting in conditions that are rainy and windy. The main examples of that are my storm shots, though even then I tend to shoot as a front is approaching me rather than when I am actually in the rain. It is not a rig I have used often, but when it is needed, it basically makes shooting possible is some pretty striking conditions.

Ed Hurst

Here are a few shots I would not have got cleanly without the umbrella rig:

[/url]LayeredLightningFilesV2Step22SpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]PanoFromFiles_IMG8865And68And71Step9sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_IMG9178Step14sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]PanoFromFiles_IGP0789-94V2Step8FlatsRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_IMG0379Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMGP6078V2Step11CropSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]SydneyStorm by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

dave.gt

Here are a few shots I would not have got cleanly without the umbrella rig:

[/url]LayeredLightningFilesV2Step22SpotSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]PanoFromFiles_IMG8865And68And71Step9sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_IMG9178Step14sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]PanoFromFiles_IGP0789-94V2Step8FlatsRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]_IMG0379Step7sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMGP6078V2Step11CropSMALL-L by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]SydneyStorm by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
Wow!!!! Totally awesome!!!

Ed, when you say striking, you certainly are NOT KIDDING!!!:bugeyes:

Last edited: