The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guitars

M

mjr

Ooh, good idea Dave, here's a very quick, inelegant shot of my main 3 taken just now, a Taylor, Martin and a Gosden. Really should take some proper shots! If only I had the talent to really make use of these guitars, alas, mediocre at best.

darr

Re: Everything's Pretty

Great topic!
The guitar pictured (Ovation EA63 Viper) was made with a Polaroid SX-70 and copied with a CFV-50c. That makes it a medium format. :p
I have a small collection of guitars that begins with a 1913 Martin parlor, includes a few Ovations, a Guild, and a Bonnie Raitt Fender Strat.
When I get the time, I will photograph them.

Kind regards,
Darr

jng

This has quickly turned into a great thread. Thanks, Dave, for starting it off!

And while I certainly appreciate the images of the beautiful acoustic guitars posted so far, Darr I can't wait to see your imagery of the Bonnie Raitt Strat!

- John

P.S. All this makes me miss my Fender Precision bass from my youth - sunburst body with a solid maple neck. Sigh....

Reactions: spb

dave.gt

Darr,

That is so beautiful.... so please do post some more!!!:):):)

In the meantime, my little Dreadnought:

Martin D JR Sapele Wood Body FINAL August 12, 2018.jpg

This guitar is solid Sapele tonewood (sometimes referred to as African Mahogany). No laminate here. 1.75" nut and basically the same fret board as the regular Dread. The smaller size is perfect for me around the house practicing or for travel. The purpose of this instrument is to be part of my writing endeavors.

:thumbs:

dave.gt

This has quickly turned into a great thread. Thanks, Dave, for starting it off!

And while I certainly appreciate the images of the beautiful acoustic guitars posted so far, Darr I can't wait to see your imagery of the Bonnie Raitt Strat!

- John

P.S. All this makes me miss my Fender Precision bass from my youth - sunburst body with a solid maple neck. Sigh....
Ooohh... sunburst body with a maple neck!
You know, Dante would not mind if you picked another Fender!!!:thumbup:

dave.gt

... and Dante would be proud of me. I love the Blues, open G string tuning and slide. In a year or so, I have plans to add an electric guitar just for that!!!:grin:

beano_z

Re: Guitars - blondes have more fun....

I hope some basses are also allowed in here? :grin:

Here's my custom shop '58 precision alongside my all original 1959 precision, shot on 6x6 Fuji Provia 100F

Two basses in color
by BB, on Flickr

jng

Re: Guitars - blondes have more fun....

I hope some basses are also allowed in here? :grin:

Here's my custom shop '58 precision alongside my all original 1959 precision, shot on 6x6 Fuji Provia 100F
Oh man, Binbin. Pre-CBS no less. They are gorgeous!

John

dave.gt

Binbin,

Two 1950s guitars/basses.. wow!

Where in the world did you find that beautiful pair?:):):)

beano_z

Binbin,

Two 1950s guitars/basses.. wow!

Where in the world did you find that beautiful pair?:):):)
Actually the custom shop is a new bass, I bought it in 2013, it's supposed to be a recreation of a vintage instrument. I bought this one to match with the vintage bass so I could have something to take to gigs and practise without worrying that it would get stolen or damaged...

dave.gt

Actually the custom shop is a new bass, I bought it in 2013, it's supposed to be a recreation of a vintage instrument. I bought this one to match with the vintage bass so I could have something to take to gigs and practise without worrying that it would get stolen or damaged...
Wow!
That is too cool!:thumbs:

Thank you for sharing, I had no idea that was the case but it is brilliant!

dave.gt

How about some images of your guitars on the road? On location? In your hotel? Or you playing it?

I would love to see Mat's when it was in the Antarctic!:thumbup:

I am thinking of some on-location compositions already for me!:)

M

mjr

Dave

Despite having thousands of images from 2.5 years living and working in the Antarctic itself, I have next to none with the guitar! This is the closest I have, can't remember the circumstances but I do remember it being bloody cold, hence the grumpy look! Not medium format, this from 2007 and taken with a trusty Canon 20d, which I still own! I tried my hand at writing and recording some music back then on the long winter nights at -50, pretty funny looking back on those songs, what was I thinking! Anyway, hope this gives you an idea.

Reactions: spb

dave.gt

Mat,

Thank you for sharing that image! It is rare to see photos of photographers themselves, and it appears to be extremely rare to see them/us in -50 weather! But it is stunning for me to see a fragile instrument like an acoustic guitar in such a hostile environment.

You have inspired me to take my guitar with me as we venture to the comfort of the Smoky Mountains in October! :) We are slowly saving funds to pay for a few days in our favorite part of the world to celebrate our 47th Wedding Anniversary.

A picnic basket, a Martin, and mountain stream in the Fall.

I don't think I can find anywhere more opposite than your image above. Contrast has always fascinated me. Perhaps I will be able to capture an image of my guitar in the "wild".:):):)

M

mjr

They are just things Dave, took me years to save up enough for the Martin, the money meant nothing compared to the memories I made taking it to stupid and completely inappropriate places! My advice is to take it everywhere, it's an object designed to bring pleasure so get pleasure from it. I love all the marks and scrapes on mine, I made them all in the process of enjoying it, it's now priceless to me, worthless to anyone else, wouldn't have it any other way!

Enjoy.

Mat

dave.gt

.....I love all the marks and scrapes on mine, I made them all in the process of enjoying it, it's now priceless to me, worthless to anyone else, wouldn't have it any other way!

Enjoy.

Mat
THIS!

Words to live by.:):):)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My best friend in 6th grade was a good guitar player. He used to sit on his bed playing Classical Gas on his Martin. He moved out of state in High school, but we went to college together. Lost track of him after that, but heard a few years ago he had died in his 30's. This thread makes me remember him.

Here's my axe. 120 years old, but rebuilt in 2005.

Leica S, 70mm.

Matt

Last edited: