The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To My Friends at the MF Forum

Pradeep

It will take some time, but I'm sure you'll adapt.

I've had vision only in my left eye from the age of 10, when I had an accident - Google gilli-danda. I got used to it pretty quickly. Photography was a very fortuitous choice of profession - I see exactly like a camera! I learned to drive a car, but never bothered to get a license, since I can't judge distances easily, and it would be pretty dangerous to others.

Kumar
Kumar, I am sure you remember the famous MAK 'Tiger' Pataudi, India's Cricket Captain who lost one eye in an accident in England and later became the youngest Captains in the game and went on to lead India for so many years. He was considered the best fielder and batsman of his era.

Dave, I am sure you will bounce back and regale us with more of your wonderful photos of the NJ beaches. The human brain is capable of great feats of adaptation. This is a major event, yes, but will not hold you back. With best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Pradeep

Photon42

To Friends & Family: Yesterday I had a life altering experience. While at the gym working out, I had a stroke to my left eye. I had a long standing 3:30 appointment with my ophthalmologist. I called and said it was an emergency, and they brought me in at 1:30. We were told by the doctor that the top and bottom of the retina is supplied by separate blood vessels. I had a stroke in the top half vessels, which cut off the blood supply. I have vision in that eye only in the bottom half of my vision field. It is like a line were drawn through the middle of my eye. The top half is 100% opaque dark grey. I see nothing. Below that I can see. While being examined, I told the doctor if I looked straight ahead at the door, I could see from the door knob down to the floor. From the door knob up, I saw nothing. It is inoperable, and permanent. The real bummer is that I am left eye dominate, and used that eye to view and focus my cameras.

The human brain is a wonderful thing. I will adapt to having only vision in 1 1/2 eyes. My cameras have adjustable eyepiece diopters, so I can set up my cameras for right eyed use. Vertical shots will be tricky. With left eyed shooting, I would turn the camera 90 degrees clockwise to view. Right eyed verticals I will have to turn the camera 90 degrees counter clockwise, so the camera body does not hit my nose.

Golfing should be a real experience, although when I look down both eyes should be able to see the ball, but nothing above the ball. When I hit it and look up, my left eye will not be able to follow it to the sky. That's why we have golf buddies to track it for you.

Using a graphics stylus pen to retouch Photoshop subjects will be a challenge, as my left eye sees only about 1" of the bottom of my monitor, and my desktop, nothing else.

Going to "3D" movies would be a waste of money, as one must have binocular vision to have depth perception. From experience, the brain knows a smaller object in front of a bigger object is closer, so I have"imagined" depth perception. Today I put something in the trunk of the car. When I reached up to grab the trunk to close it, I missed it! Two trys to close a trunk.

This is not going to ruin my life style if I hang in there, which I will. Sharon loves me. What else do I need?
I really wish you mental strength to live with it. My right ear went deaf within hours eight years back - blown vessel spilling blood into the chamber where the hair cells reside. My brain did adjust to this to some extend, effectively cancelling out the constant white noise I am hearing. Directional hearing is gone, which sometimes can lead to funny situations. Listing to others in noisy environments can be difficult. It took me some months to get over the fact that this is it. Redundancy is good thing (I ordered a Z7 anyway ...). I take double care of my left ear now. Wear glasses if in doubt to protect your eyes.

gurtch

First use of my camera "right eyed" and first attempt to edit in Photoshop right eyed since my stroke in my left eye.
I am left eye dominant, so everything seems backwards to me, but I am managing.
D772 framed.jpg

jduncan

First use of my camera "right eyed" and first attempt to edit in Photoshop right eyed since my stroke in my left eye.
View attachment 136412

Hi,
Beautiful image.
Keep going, and keep posting, keep dreaming and enjoying.
But in the middle of all of that remember to go at your own pace.

Best regards

fmueller

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Nine years ago I had an accident and broke my back resulting in a spinal cord injury and partial paralysis. I've recovered a lot, I'm what they call a "walking paraplegic", still living with a lot of the effects in my left leg limited on what I can carry and how far I can walk. I don't "go for a stroll", its always a deliberate affair and a little slow.

When I picked up a camera again (a Canon 5D3) I quickly realized that not only was it a little heavy but I when I put it to my eye I would come close to falling over because I needed my unobstructed vision to compensate for a lack of feeling and strength (plantar flexion) in my feet. Normally people keep themselves balanced by the muscles of your calves and feet that work in tandem with your vestibular senses to keep you upright. Cover my eyes and I would fall over. Pulling a shirt over my head had to be done quickly! That particular issue improved as I learned how to compensate for my new limitations, not totally gone but lots better. Still a bit unsteady on my feet. But I'm still kinda stuck with not being able be a pack horse for lots of gear.

Well, I bought an M9 and a light tripod to lighten my load and I don't just wander the streets of a city as I would once do, I have to be more deliberate. And I use a higher min shutter speed for hand held shots. I've upgraded equipment but a tripod is important for most of what I do, still.

My problem is much different than yours, but I've adapted. It seems like you are still in the game and have lots of flexibility to adapt also. Good luck with figuring out what will work for you!

gurtch

I am sorry to hear of your troubles.

Nine years ago I had an accident and broke my back resulting in a spinal cord injury and partial paralysis. I've recovered a lot, I'm what they call a "walking paraplegic", still living with a lot of the effects in my left leg limited on what I can carry and how far I can walk. I don't "go for a stroll", its always a deliberate affair and a little slow.

When I picked up a camera again (a Canon 5D3) I quickly realized that not only was it a little heavy but I when I put it to my eye I would come close to falling over because I needed my unobstructed vision to compensate for a lack of feeling and strength (plantar flexion) in my feet. Normally people keep themselves balanced by the muscles of your calves and feet that work in tandem with your vestibular senses to keep you upright. Cover my eyes and I would fall over. Pulling a shirt over my head had to be done quickly! That particular issue improved as I learned how to compensate for my new limitations, not totally gone but lots better. Still a bit unsteady on my feet. But I'm still kinda stuck with not being able be a pack horse for lots of gear.

Well, I bought an M9 and a light tripod to lighten my load and I don't just wander the streets of a city as I would once do, I have to be more deliberate. And I use a higher min shutter speed for hand held shots. I've upgraded equipment but a tripod is important for most of what I do, still.

My problem is much different than yours, but I've adapted. It seems like you are still in the game and have lots of flexibility to adapt also. Good luck with figuring out what will work for you!
Thank you fmueller....it is courageous folks like you that keep me going. My work right now is with my Sony A7RII because of its light weight, and my ability to hand hold with it's built in IBS. I have not attempted my Pentax 645D yet....I think it will require a tripod, or at least a monopod. I am 81 years old, and had open heart surgery in December.....not as steady as I once was, but compared to some, I am darn lucky!
Best of luck to you.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven NJ USA

Steve Hendrix

Thank you fmueller....it is courageous folks like you that keep me going. My work right now is with my Sony A7RII because of its light weight, and my ability to hand hold with it's built in IBS. I have not attempted my Pentax 645D yet....I think it will require a tripod, or at least a monopod. I am 81 years old, and had open heart surgery in December.....not as steady as I once was, but compared to some, I am darn lucky!
Best of luck to you.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven NJ USA

You keep on keeping on in Beach Haven, Dave. I didn't notice that until just now. I went to the junior high in Manahawkin.

Steve Hendrix/CI

D&A

Dave, I followed and admired your imagery here on Getdpi for many years. As impressive as it is, my admiration for you goes well beyond this. Your rebuilding your home, life and also saving what was not completely destroyed of your decades of photographic work over the years, all due to horrific weather related circumstances that you and your wife encountered in the past, is a testimony to your strength and resolve. This is especially so considering your age for as we all get older, its not always easy. Combine all these factors and I marvel how you are able to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on with your passions in life be they photographically related or otherwise. I hope and am sure in time, you'll once again find a way and the resolve to adjust to your current situation and continue to provide us with inspirational examples of your work as you have always done. Very much looking forward to it.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

young'ee

View attachment 136412
My goodness....this IS the photo!

As many others have stated here, your will to go on no matter what is inspirational. I dont know you, never spoken to you here on DPI and know nothing of the "Sandy" issues you have been through. From what I have read though, it sounds like you have been through a lot. Your resolve helps me to see things in a clearer way. Thank you for that.

This place, DPI.....what a place ! Its guys like you who help make this the truly remarkable place it is.

In awe of your work, humbled by your never say die attitude, inspired to go out there and try harder by your example.

yaya

View attachment 136412
Been following this thread since you started it Dave. All I can say is WOW what an inspiration you are!!! I've had my share of life changing events and bad luck over the last 4 years (see link to my blog in my signature) but am still here and able to tell the stories. These things teach us to appreciate the small things we have in life and to make the best of the little time we all have on this planet.
Keep doing what you love most and everything else will just follow!!!

Cheers
yair