The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

To My Friends at the MF Forum

gurtch

To Friends & Family: Yesterday I had a life altering experience. While at the gym working out, I had a stroke to my left eye. I had a long standing 3:30 appointment with my ophthalmologist. I called and said it was an emergency, and they brought me in at 1:30. We were told by the doctor that the top and bottom of the retina is supplied by separate blood vessels. I had a stroke in the top half vessels, which cut off the blood supply. I have vision in that eye only in the bottom half of my vision field. It is like a line were drawn through the middle of my eye. The top half is 100% opaque dark grey. I see nothing. Below that I can see. While being examined, I told the doctor if I looked straight ahead at the door, I could see from the door knob down to the floor. From the door knob up, I saw nothing. It is inoperable, and permanent. The real bummer is that I am left eye dominate, and used that eye to view and focus my cameras.

The human brain is a wonderful thing. I will adapt to having only vision in 1 1/2 eyes. My cameras have adjustable eyepiece diopters, so I can set up my cameras for right eyed use. Vertical shots will be tricky. With left eyed shooting, I would turn the camera 90 degrees clockwise to view. Right eyed verticals I will have to turn the camera 90 degrees counter clockwise, so the camera body does not hit my nose.

Golfing should be a real experience, although when I look down both eyes should be able to see the ball, but nothing above the ball. When I hit it and look up, my left eye will not be able to follow it to the sky. That's why we have golf buddies to track it for you.

Using a graphics stylus pen to retouch Photoshop subjects will be a challenge, as my left eye sees only about 1" of the bottom of my monitor, and my desktop, nothing else.

Going to "3D" movies would be a waste of money, as one must have binocular vision to have depth perception. From experience, the brain knows a smaller object in front of a bigger object is closer, so I have"imagined" depth perception. Today I put something in the trunk of the car. When I reached up to grab the trunk to close it, I missed it! Two trys to close a trunk.

This is not going to ruin my life style if I hang in there, which I will. Sharon loves me. What else do I need?

tsjanik

This is not going to ruin my life style if I hang in there, which I will. Sharon loves me. What else do I need?
You ask the question because you know the answer. Keep on truckin' Dave, your enthusiasm is a tonic for us all.

Tom

Oren Grad

I am very sorry to hear this. I wish you well.
+1

Hoping you will be able to adapt smoothly and continue to gain much enjoyment from your craft... and that this will be the end of health troubles for a long time to come. Good luck!

tcdeveau

Also very sorry to hear this. There are others on the forum who have been affected by stroke so you’re not alone.

My doctorate is in Neuroscience. I chose to do my thesis research on novel therapies for stroke (ischemic and hemorrhagic) out of a desire to improve our knowledge of central nervous system repair and rebuilding. I hope the work I did contributed to progress with therapeutics but I do wish we were further along on the therapy front. I wish you nothing but the best.
-Todd

JeRuFo

Thanks for sharing. Best of luck trying to adapt to the new situation, you already seem very accepting.

This summer my wife and climbed a mountain together. At the start of the climb we passed an elderly couple of which the woman already needed her hands to climb over very minor obstacles that barely slowed us down. We wondered why she would attempt a 1200m (about 4000 ft) climb that was probably not going to get easier. But every time we sat down for lunch or to take in the view we saw her still scrambling, but going strong and slowly gaining on us again.
In the end they summited only about an hour after us, she can't have taken much of a break all afternoon.
Just goes to show that 'can't' is almost always in the mind. Just keep going. It'll be all the more satisfying and inspirational to others.

Jewan

vjbelle

Best to you....... I too am a fatalist knowing that certain things just can't be changed. I'm sure you'll adapt well.

Victor

D&A

Dave, you have always been an inspiration to many of us here on Getdpi and no doubt in your everyday life to others. This has been true from your very first postings and along the way in your descriptions of your horrible losses in life due to hurricane Sandy and other acts of nature. I'm not sure all are aware of this and you have shared your stories with descriptive words and pictures at various times. Your will and strength at your age was an inspiration and demonstrated your resolve to move forward, rebuild and make the most out of life, including your photography which is such an integral part of your enjoyment.

Although from all you described regarding your loss of vision, it being a significant loss especially due to your keen interest in taking images and without meaning to trivializing it, you can imagine how much more severe things could have been. As we get older, we are all confronted with life's challenges and although difficult and frustrating at times, it does make us appreciate that much more the time we have to enjoy life with the people and things that mean the most to us, and the associated activities we engage in.

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors and know in time, like previous experiences, you will adapt, move forward and live life to its fullest. Be well!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

gurtch

Thank you all for your good wishes and encouragement. The day after the stroke, I made a 20"x30" and 24"x32" print with my Epson 7890 printer. I was able to set the printer up and feed the roll paper properly. Next day I mounted, matted, and framed the prints for an exhibition I have coming up. The lack of depth perception led to several humerous (you have to laugh so you don't cry). The picture hanging braided wire I use is on a big spool. I cut off what I need with wire cutters. When I attempted to do this I missed the wire. I use light pencil to title and sign the mats. I had trouble seeing this. I will try a clamp on high intensity light on my work bench when I sign and title the prints. The hangers that screw onto the back of the aluminum frames I use have a 1/8" diameter screw with slotted head. I could not get the screw driver in the tiny slot. The corner hardware has Philips head screws, which proved to be much easier to use. I made some snapshots with my camera set up for right eyed viewing. After setting the camera up, and going to take snapshots, I instinctively raised the camera to my LEFT eye.So far so good. Thanks again.
Dave

biglouis

I am deeply sympathetic to what has happened to you. Especially as it was out of the blue. I admire your determination to succeed even if your vision is now impaired.

Good luck and I wish you better health.

LouisB

jduncan

To Friends & Family: Yesterday I had a life altering experience. While at the gym working out, I had a stroke to my left eye. I had a long standing 3:30 appointment with my ophthalmologist. I called and said it was an emergency, and they brought me in at 1:30. We were told by the doctor that the top and bottom of the retina is supplied by separate blood vessels. I had a stroke in the top half vessels, which cut off the blood supply. I have vision in that eye only in the bottom half of my vision field. It is like a line were drawn through the middle of my eye. The top half is 100% opaque dark grey. I see nothing. Below that I can see. While being examined, I told the doctor if I looked straight ahead at the door, I could see from the door knob down to the floor. From the door knob up, I saw nothing. It is inoperable, and permanent. The real bummer is that I am left eye dominate, and used that eye to view and focus my cameras.

The human brain is a wonderful thing. I will adapt to having only vision in 1 1/2 eyes. My cameras have adjustable eyepiece diopters, so I can set up my cameras for right eyed use. Vertical shots will be tricky. With left eyed shooting, I would turn the camera 90 degrees clockwise to view. Right eyed verticals I will have to turn the camera 90 degrees counter clockwise, so the camera body does not hit my nose.

Golfing should be a real experience, although when I look down both eyes should be able to see the ball, but nothing above the ball. When I hit it and look up, my left eye will not be able to follow it to the sky. That's why we have golf buddies to track it for you.

Using a graphics stylus pen to retouch Photoshop subjects will be a challenge, as my left eye sees only about 1" of the bottom of my monitor, and my desktop, nothing else.

Going to "3D" movies would be a waste of money, as one must have binocular vision to have depth perception. From experience, the brain knows a smaller object in front of a bigger object is closer, so I have"imagined" depth perception. Today I put something in the trunk of the car. When I reached up to grab the trunk to close it, I missed it! Two trys to close a trunk.

Hi,

It's a very dificult experience. Thanks for sharing and for sharing your iner strenght and perspective. They will be days you will be down and you have to remember that you have every reason to be, so be gentle with yourself. And then rise and continue your journey.

This post is such an inspiration. Thanks again.

Best regards,

FromJapan

It will take some time, but I'm sure you'll adapt.

I've had vision only in my left eye from the age of 10, when I had an accident - Google gilli-danda. I got used to it pretty quickly. Photography was a very fortuitous choice of profession - I see exactly like a camera! I learned to drive a car, but never bothered to get a license, since I can't judge distances easily, and it would be pretty dangerous to others.

Kumar

DB5

I'm very sorry to hear this, sending you best wishes.

Things like this must not stop us. They are not denials, just new challenges and I trust you will overcome and continue to be happy. As you say, love is all we need in the end.

I am blind in one eye and it's such that I'm not even aware of it anymore. With any luck I don't loose the other one! :)