The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V series tripod plate

vivizen

Hi,

I've been using the stock arca swiss plate (that came with the tripod) to mount a Hasselblad 501CM to the tripod. However, since it only screws onto the body at one point, the plate can come loose from the body if the body is rotated while the plate is clamped on the tripod. In principle, this problem seems to be solvable since there is the possibility of using a plate to screw on to both the 1/4" and 3/8" screw holes on the body. In this case, the body cannot be rotated while the plate is clamped, since the two screws constrain that motion.

Has anybody done this around here? What plate (or plate, and screw adapter combination) might work?

Thanks.

vivizen

Thanks for that pointer.

It does seem to be specifically made to solve the twist problem for the Hasselblad.
Do you know if there is a version which engages the safety screw found on some tripods?

jng

Do you know if there is a version which engages the safety screw found on some tripods?
Some of the Really Right Stuff plates have safety stops that prevent the plate from sliding out of a partially opened clamp, but I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to. Can you clarify?

John

W124

Hello,

I replaced the original Hasselblad plate on my 503CW with a Markins P60H which fits very well.
Only thing you need to pay attenion is the quick release clamp on your tripod head. I use an Arca Swiss Classic Clamp which works perfekt with the 503CW.

Photon42

Hello,

I replaced the original Hasselblad plate on my 503CW with a Markins P60H which fits very well.
Only thing you need to pay attenion is the quick release clamp on your tripod head. I use an Arca Swiss Classic Clamp which works perfekt with the 503CW.
That is what I did, too. The P60H is slightly thicker, though. My 501 doesn't stand quite on its feet anymore, but on the 60H.

vivizen

Some of the Really Right Stuff plates have safety stops that prevent the plate from sliding out of a partially opened clamp, but I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to. Can you clarify?

John
Indeed, this is what I was referring to. Even Gitzo's have a screw head sticking out on the plate on the head, which engages with the mounting plate. I believe that the mounting plate need a scalloped-out base for the screw head to fit; if not, then the screw would have to be removed, leaving with no safety stop.

vivizen

That is what I did, too. The P60H is slightly thicker, though. My 501 doesn't stand quite on its feet anymore, but on the 60H.
Where do you guys get the Markins P60H from? It doesn't seem to be listed on B&H, neither can google find it (!).

sog1927

Thanks for this suggestion -- slightly cheaper than Arca Swiss's variant. What tripod do you use this on?
Well, I have an RRS TQC-14 as a travel tripod, a Giotto knockoff of the Gitzo Explorer (forget the model number), an old Bogen/Manfrotto 3021, and an old Linhof Heavy Duty Pro twin-shank (from my 4x5 days). The RRS has pretty much sold me on carbon fiber - I'm probably in the market for good, heavy duty CF tripod sometime in the next year or so.

I haven't tried the Acratech ball heads, but I really like their camera plates and clamps. They seem quite well-made. I'm torn between an Arca P0 and the Acratech GP-S for the TQC-14. I'm kind of in the midst of my Great Arcafication project (it took the X1D to get me to abandon the Hasselblad QR system - after 35 years with the V-series I must have about a dozen Hassy QR clamps lying around the house).

algrove

Perhaps too late here, but I use the dedicated V plate for the L Flex-smart (not with it right now). This fit into the Hassy body thus no movement whatsoever. This L bracket interchanges between landscape and portrait without detaching L bracket. I think I got mine from CI.
Terrific design.

sog1927

Perhaps too late here, but I use the dedicated V plate for the L Flex-smart (not with it right now). This fit into the Hassy body thus no movement whatsoever. This L bracket interchanges between landscape and portrait without detaching L bracket. I think I got mine from CI.
Terrific design.
That looks really slick. It's probably overkill for the X1D, but it might be worth getting one of those for the ApoTessar.

vivizen

Hello,

You can still find in the web, for example in Hongkong

https://www.howenint.com/products/markins-p60h

I made good experiens with that Dealer, bought my Markins Hub TH500 there.
Thanks for that link.

Do you screw this onto the bottom plate on the body, or remove the Hasselblad plate and screw this onto the body directly as replacement?
In fact, does anyone know how to replace the default tripod mount plate on the body?

jng

The clamps from Really Right Stuff have the cut-outs. These plates have both the anti-twist end plate and safety screws you are referring to:

https://breakthrough.photography/collections/all/products/universal-arca-plate?variant=32340742673

I haven't used these so can't speak to their quality, but they are quite cheap ($15 USD) and from a company that makes quality filters.

John

Indeed, this is what I was referring to. Even Gitzo's have a screw head sticking out on the plate on the head, which engages with the mounting plate. I believe that the mounting plate need a scalloped-out base for the screw head to fit; if not, then the screw would have to be removed, leaving with no safety stop.