The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well count me in as being impressed. That LCC performance is far better than I would have expected.

I’d be interested to see how well it copes with other tech lenses like the Schneider wides like the 35XL that always used to render LCCs looking like a nasty bruise on my IQ260 when shot without a center filter.

Dave Chew: I’m hoping to try out the IQ4 in a couple of weeks in the dense forests of the PNW. It sure is easy to ‘get lost’ in one of our forests ... :ROTFL:

jagsiva

WOW! That just leaves light falloff to fix.

Interesting that when Sony moved to the BSI sensor, we did not hear much about any performance improvements on Leica and other lenses.

Paul2660

If they have fixed most of the color cast, which it does appear the BSI did, all that leaves is the loss of saturation in shifts which C1 tended to do a good job on already with the other backs, and crosstalk. Add into the equation focus peaking (still need to see how P1 implemented it) But sure looks good to me.

Paul C

jagsiva

Just played with the RAWs available on the P1 site. They have the same scene with the 23HR and 32HR. The 23HR is awesome, and the 32HR is just glorious. I was skeptical, but I think now I need to visit my dealer and try this thing out. I just upgraded to the Tri in Jan, so we'll see if this is both kidneys or just one.

Jamgolf

The word of techcam demise might have been premature and over blown.

Yeah. Maybe somebody needs to buy my ALPA TC.
If the new sensor plays as well as it sems from this one example, I predict some new comers to techcam and return of some who left due to fatigue with the tedious techcam workflow, previously.

So, I think you would have some interested buyers. Or perhaps you would change your mind and decide to hang on :)

I played with the files earlier today and this looks pretty fantastic. Just told my dealer that I’m in for upgrading.

When Sony first introduced BSI sensors, folks did test it with Leica lenses and found that it significantly helped with color cast however corner smearing was still an issue, largely because of the thickness of the cover glass. So Kolari offers a mod to the A7r3 that replaces the thick cover glass with a thin one and the the side by side results I’ve seen show the corner smearing gone and performance equivalent to a Leica body.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
"...should be quite significant." IS QUITE SIGNIFICANT. :toocool:

The 151-megapixel BSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the LEFT. The 101-megapixel (non-trichromatic) FSI sensor on the Rodenstock 23mm is on the RIGHT.

View attachment 136002
Looks very promising. Just wondering if the center filter was used for those shots?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thank you Doug.

I am following (and have posted many times) in the thread you mention here, but among people who add infos on camera gear I see a lot of landscapes from Pentax 645z, Phase XF and DF, Leica S, Fuji GFX, some Hassy X1D, but not much from tech cameras. Hence my question :) I am sure I am wrong and you are right, perhaps you could point me out to a couple of names of professional landscape photographers using tech cameras + Phase backs, not necessarily here on forum of course, so I can get a better idea?

Best regards,

Vieri
Rodney lough shoots mainly with Arca Swiss and IQ backs now. A few years ago he was still using 8x10 film some of the time.. I think he’s semi retired now, closed down his galleries so not sure what he’s up to but definitely a professional landscape photographer of many decades.

vieri

Vieri
You also might want to check out P1 videos where various "Pros" demonstrate their techniques. Steve Gosling is another Alpa tech cam user I am a bit familiar with-mostly B&W.

Lou
Rodney lough shoots mainly with Arca Swiss and IQ backs now. A few years ago he was still using 8x10 film some of the time.. I think he’s semi retired now, closed down his galleries so not sure what he’s up to but definitely a professional landscape photographer of many decades.
Thanks guys, that's really helpful - helpful in digging my (bank account's) grave!! :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, thank you - much appreciated, will look into that!

Best,

Vieri