The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 series. Much more than resolution.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There are so many new features that we've launched a dedicated mini-site to parse it all:
www.phaseoneIQ4.com

Here is a very abbreviated summary:

The three IQ4 backs:
- Phase One IQ4 150mp
- Phase One IQ4 150mp Achromatic
- Phase One IQ4 100mp Trichromatic
All three use full-frame 645 sensors. Phase One is 100% focused on Full-Frame 645 solutions.

The IQ4 Platform Features
This is much more than an [IQ3 + 1].
- Infinity Platform
- Capture One Inside
- Faster, sharper, more accurate, more responsive in-back image review
- Dual Next-Gen storage: XQD and SD with future support for CFexpress
- USB-C and Ethernet tethering
- Wireless Tethering (actual raw file transfer)
- Live View Focus Peaking
- Live View Histogram
- Live View Exposure Simulation
- Improved Live View image quality
- In camera JPGs
- Pinch to Zoom
- Multi-finger gesture ready
- Brighter, Sharper, Faster LCD Previews
- Improved Dark-Frame workflow

IQ4 150mp and IQ4 150mp Achromatic Features
- Full-frame 645 BSI CMOS Sensor
- 15 stops of DR*
- ISO 50 to ISO 25,600*
- Faster Electronic Shutter
- Up to 3fps in ES mode; TBD speed on XF
- Much better tech camera compatibility re movements and cast

*Phase One is still working to squeeze the most out of this sensor. These specs, as is, are conservative and may be improved via Feature Update.

Other news
Price Drops: As you’d expect with the release of new products, the price for previous products has been reduced and more products are now available as CPO (certified pre-owned). With the release of the IQ4 150mp the IQ3 100mp is no longer the “king of the hill” but it’s still a *really* great camera, so this price-drop is very welcome.
Trade-Ins: There are a wide swath of upgrade options from Phase One and competitive cameras/backs.

If you're looking for a jumping off point for the many articles we have written, I'd suggest 17 Surprises You'll Find in the Phase One IQ4.

I'll be right here in this thread all morning ready to answer your questions. Fire away! If I don't respond within a few minutes it's because I've fallen asleep at my keyboard.

Last edited:

gerald.d

Any details on the video functionality?

(Deleted earlier post after watching the video :) )

Resolution/framerate still the same?

Phase V

The lineup 150MP, 100MP Trichromatic and 100 Achromatic means that there is a
150 MP Trichromatic to follow?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The lineup 150MP, 100MP Trichromatic and 100 Achromatic means that there is a
150 MP Trichromatic to follow?
Phase One has stated pretty clearly that there will not be a "Trichromatic" version of the IQ4 150mp. They say the 150mp BSI sensor did not require the same CFA to achieve the same results.

I look forward to testing this claim via the same kind of direct comparison testing we did with the IQ3 Trichromatic vs IQ3. We will, of course, provide raw files from that testing as well as the ability to test the back yourself so you can make your own judgement.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any details on the video functionality?

(Deleted earlier post after watching the video :) )

Resolution/framerate still the same?
HDMI Out is there. No internal video features at launch, but you could use an external monitor and/or external recorder if desired, on day one.

The hardware components and the processing power of the Infinity Platform would allow some pretty great video features via future feature update if there is enough demand. Maybe you could speak to what use-cases you have and what kinds of video features would be most important to you? As you know a ton of the work is in building the platform and adding features/interfaces on top of that is the (relatively) easy part, so feedback (especially from current/knowledgeable owners like you) on where to take this system in the near future is highly valuable.

I've heard R+D float the spec for hardware limits for video on the sensor and platform. It's much better than the IQ3. But I think they are still tweaking and testing, so for now I will refrain from providing a spec.

DB5

So it kinda sorta is just megapixels (for most people) and some marketing sprinkled on top of some incremental upgraded things.

I'm surprised not to see an EVF Finder at this point too.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So it kinda sorta is just megapixels (for most people) and some marketing sprinkled on top of some incremental upgraded things.
I mean, I acknowledge I'm very biased, but I count no fewer than a dozen headline-level features other than image-quality/resolution, most of which are direct customer requests.

Heck, if it was only the Live View Histogram, Live View Focus Mask, and Live View Exposure Simulation I think that would warrant "more than resolution".

That said, it's our job to help you understand what the differences are, not to tell you how much they are worth to you (only you can do that!). We have an article Which Back is Right for You which lays out the differences between IQ4, IQ3, and IQ1. If the IQ4 feature set is not important to your use cases, the IQ1 and IQ3 are both available as Certified Pre-Owned (with warranty, all new accessories, and full dealer support) at new lower prices.

DB5

I mean, I acknowledge I'm very biased, but I count no fewer than a dozen headline-level features other than image-quality/resolution, most of which are direct customer requests.

Heck, if it was only the Live View Histogram, Live View Focus Mask, and Live View Exposure Simulation I think that would warrant "more than resolution".

That said, it's our job to help you understand what the differences are, not to tell you how much they are worth to you (only you can do that!). We have an article Which Back is Right for You which lays out the differences between IQ4, IQ3, and IQ1. If the IQ4 feature set is not important to your use cases, the IQ1 and IQ3 are both available as Certified Pre-Owned (with warranty, all new accessories, and full dealer support) at new lower prices.
Your "more than resolution" items listed here are incremental upgrades and while I would agree as being nice to have, give me no reason to upgrade but I acknowledge the tech cam niche may find it useful. To my knowledge, experience and also my colleagues and associates, that is a small amount of buyers who have traditionally bought Phase One backs and cameras. As a Phase One owner since 2004 I acknowledge that the pixel count is a really big jump but seems mostly moot to me at this point.

I hope Phase One has a mirrorless option up their sleeve for the very near future.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Your "more than resolution" items listed here are incremental upgrades and while I would agree as being nice to have, give me no reason to upgrade but I acknowledge the tech cam niche may find it useful.
Other than an entirely different form factor (i.e. an entirely different camera system), what features were you hoping for? The processing power and software-stack in this back is meant to help them rapidly add meaningful features. So your suggestions are welcome!

DB5

Other than an entirely different form factor (i.e. an entirely different camera system), what features were you hoping for? The processing power and software-stack in this back is meant to help them rapidly add meaningful features. So your suggestions are welcome!
Phase One are the ones who need to innovate. Something other than pixels to stop me from moving to Mirrorless.

But to answer your question - Mirrorless. Direct and integrated focus from the sensor into the viewfinder that removes our SLR focus woes, especially so with such high resolution. A camera that no longer needs to be the size of a truck and one that almost always needs a tripod.

An EVF prism would have gone a long way at this point and I'm surprised that it hasn't materialised in light of competition.

My upgrades are on hold to watch what happens for the time being and I hope Phase One can bring a competitive mirrorless to market in the very, very, near future.

Phase V

Are the upgrade prices already set up, so what is it to upgrade from a IQ3100 to a
IQ4 150 or is this all negotiable more or less? (i guess less)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Are the upgrade prices already set up, so what is it to upgrade from a IQ3100 to a
IQ4 150 or is this all negotiable more or less? (i guess less)
Upgrade pricing from any IQ1, IQ2, and IQ3 back are public and ready. Contact your local dealer for pricing options in local-currency.

If you're in the US, our team is fully caffeinated and glad to help. [email protected]

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So what are those public prices Doug? ;)

Peter
I'm not trying to be obtuse but:
- There are IQ140, IQ150, IQ160, IQ180, IQ250, IQ260, IQ260 Achromatic, IQ3 50mp, IQ3 60mp, IQ3 80mp, and IQ3 100mp, IQ3 Achromatic, and IQ3 100mp Trichromatic backs each of which have unique pricing. Not to mention competitive backs.
- There are three IQ4 backs you can upgrade to, each of which have a different upgrade price for each of the above.
- The price is different in each market and USD translated to the currency elsewhere is not necessarily that answer.
- The price is different depending on whether you're adding an XF kit and if so which warranty you want on that body.
- This thread will live for years and the numbers may not be applicable in x months/years. People still ask me about promos/pricing from thread made years ago, or worse, don't ask because they assume it's still the price and it doesn't make any sense to their needs.

Shoot us an email (if you're in the US) and we can get back to you within minutes. Or just call our main number (in my signature) and someone can answer you immediately. We've been feeding our team espressos all morning to keep them running fast. You're more than welcome to share those numbers here, but again, with 80+ different combinations of upgrades we could fill an entire thread with upgrade-pricing Q&A.

Pemihan

I'm not trying to be obtuse but:
- There are IQ140, IQ150, IQ160, IQ180, IQ250, IQ260, IQ260 Achromatic, IQ3 50mp, IQ3 60mp, IQ3 80mp, and IQ3 100mp, IQ3 Achromatic, and IQ3 100mp Trichromatic backs each of which have unique pricing. Not to mention competitive backs.
- There are three IQ4 backs you can upgrade to, each of which have a different upgrade price for each of the above.
- The price is different in each market and USD translated to the currency elsewhere is not necessarily that answer.
- The price is different depending on whether you're adding an XF kit and if so which warranty you want on that body.
- This thread will live for years and the numbers may not be applicable in x months/years. People still ask me about promos/pricing from thread made years ago, or worse, don't ask because they assume it's still the price and it doesn't make any sense to their needs.

Shoot us an email (if you're in the US) and we can get back to you within minutes. Or just call our main number (in my signature) and someone can answer you immediately. We've been feeding our team espressos all morning to keep them running fast. You're more than welcome to share those numbers here, but again, with 80+ different combinations of upgrades we could fill an entire thread with upgrade-pricing Q&A.
Ok Doug, I see your point. :)

Peter