The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CI First Take on Phase One IQ4 150 Announcement

JeRuFo

The question shouldn't be why he doesn't want to touch it with a 10ft pole, but who here would and why?

Christopher

I would, I did, and I will keep my IQ3100 as well. Main reasons are less stitching for panoramics, hopefully much less color cast on my arca swiss, it just works for me and together with the new GFX I will be happy for a very long time.

kdphotography

Unfortunately Doug has myopic vision that doesn't seem to see beyond his Nikon. Yup, definitely myopic.

Btw, nobody doubts the qualities of the D850 (arguably the best DSLR on the planet these days) BUT there are a lot of folks who really don't care. Not a bit. In fact, they tire of hearing about Doug's Nikon choice again, and again, and again, and again ... just saying.

As regards the new IQ4 series. Well, I'm impressed. I'm not sure that it'll stop me from buying a new sports car (this is the discretionary purchase I'm looking at again this year) but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how well it performs, plus secretly hoping some IQ260 or IQ3100 achromatic owners sell in order to get the new beasts.
You're going to have to make the trip sometime and share which sports car----we'll make a great photo shoot with our lowly IQ3 100 "entry level" cameras! :ROTFL:

Truck vault in the trunk? Might not need it since we only have "entry level" cameras----no one wants those :ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
If only I worked from a tripod... I know. I should. OTOH, 60th birthday just around the corner, and no room for an R8 (damn city living)...

Well, enjoy!, o ye partakers in either sports cars or 100+MP backs. I look forward to ... internet sized versions of your glorious works ... this system has some flaws.. (no sarcasm at all - I realize it could sound that way)

Matt

DB5

I appreciate but have no use for the significant bump in pixels.

No H System is the deal breaker to end all deal breakers for me and many others I know.

No simultaneous writing to both cards makes it utterly pointless and it seems it's just headline grabbing with nasty caveats. If this is actually true it contravenes what the press release suggests.

I am a Phase One owner since 2004, bowing out of this paradigm and crazy game which seems mostly irrelevant now.

But I do hope Phase One can bring a realistic mirrorless system to market very soon and I really do hope they have something up their sleeve to survive the coming revolution, already here.

MrSmith

So basically the US national average yearly income to put down for one of these (no camera/lens included) so really a rich plaything or for a professional photographer a large capital investment that needs to pay for itself over 3-5 years, you have to weigh up the added value for your clients and if they will even see the ‘added value’. for me it’s simple.
Will i get any more paying clients buying this camera to offset the cost and then make more money? in short no, the money is better spent on marketing, lenses and something that shoots 4k at 60p.

the market must be shrinking for phase backs, my admittedly small pool for reference of phase owners (half a dozen car/advertising photographers) no longer own or use them.

where is the main market place for Phase now?

hcubell

So basically the US national average yearly income to put down for one of these (no camera/lens included) so really a rich plaything or for a professional photographer a large capital investment that needs to pay for itself over 3-5 years, you have to weigh up the added value for your clients and if they will even see the ‘added value’. for me it’s simple.
Will i get any more paying clients buying this camera to offset the cost and then make more money? in short no, the money is better spent on marketing, lenses and something that shoots 4k at 60p.

the market must be shrinking for phase backs, my admittedly small pool for reference of phase owners (half a dozen car/advertising photographers) no longer own or use them.

The main market? Institutional clients like museums. Perhaps aerial applications. It used to include wealthy enthusiasts and a small population of fine art photographers who may or may not be wealthy but print large and have the print sales to justify the cost and the ever diminishing returns from a 150 mp back. My sense is that the latter group is severely contracting, because (a) there are other options out there now like the X1D and the GFX, (b) the cost is NOT a one time cost but it's part of a nonstop merry go round of marginal upgrades, (c) they want smaller and lighter, and the Phase XF and the BR lenses are anything but, and (d) you can pick up a used IQ100 at a great price. All in all, it's a pretty tenuous market niche to tie your business to.

hcubell

The main market? Institutional clients like museums. Perhaps aerial applications. It used to include wealthy enthusiasts and a small population of fine art photographers who may or may not be wealthy but print large and have the print sales to justify the cost and the ever diminishing returns from a 150 mp back. My sense is that the latter group is severely contracting, because (a) there are other options out there now like the X1D and the GFX, (b) the cost is NOT a one time cost but it's part of a nonstop merry go round of marginal upgrades, and (c) they want smaller and lighter, and the Phase XF and the BR lenses are anything but. All in all, that's a pretty tenuous market niche to tie your business to.

Christopher

A Camera I buy has to finance itself in 18months. If it wouldn’t I wouldn’t buy it. And that applies to Phase Fuji and all other cameras I ever owned.

hcubell

A Camera I buy has to finance itself in 18months. If it wouldn’t I wouldn’t buy it. And that applies to Phase Fuji and all other cameras I ever owned.
Do you mean that your profits INCREASE by the cost of a new IQ4 150 compared to your profits with your IQ 100? Or, your business makes enough money for you to be able to afford it? Two very different ways to approach it. A business does not decide to buy equipment just because it can afford to do so. That's what wealthy people with disposable income do with their hobbies. A business approaches it based upon return on investment. I gather there are precious few professional photographers out there today who feel that their business increases its overall profitability by buying a 150 mp back, particularly if they already have a 100 mp back.

Christopher

Both. It has not to effect the business in any way and it has to increase profits. Otherwise there is no sense in buying it.

Another very important is how much fun it makes To work with a camera. It certainly isn’t important for the business, but for me. ;)

Do you mean that your profits INCREASE by the cost of a new IQ4 150 compared to your profits with your IQ 100? Or, your business makes enough money for you to be able to afford it? Two very different ways to approach it. A business does not decide to buy equipment just because it can afford to do so. That's what wealthy people with disposable income do with their hobbies. A business approaches it based upon return on investment. I gather there are precious few professional photographers out there today who feel that their business increases its overall profitability by buying a 150 mp back, particularly if they already have a 100 mp back.

hcubell

Both. It has not to effect the business in any way and it has to increase profits. Otherwise there is no sense in buying it.

Another very important is how much fun it makes To work with a camera. It certainly isn’t important for the business, but for me. ;)
Care to share how you increase your profits by more than the cost of the IQ4 150 when you already have a fully paid up IQ 100?

Christopher

Kind of. The client get charged for the equipment. I already know a clients, who will actually ask for more resolution and they will pay more for that.

D&A

If only I worked from a tripod... I know. I should. OTOH, 60th birthday just around the corner, and no room for an R8 (damn city living)...

Well, enjoy!, o ye partakers in either sports cars or 100+MP backs. I look forward to ... internet sized versions of your glorious works ... this system has some flaws.. (no sarcasm at all - I realize it could sound that way)

Matt
Matt, how do you define R8? :) Surely there's room for one of these in the big city. LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

Abstraction

So Phase have closed the system?
My guess is that if you wait a few years, they will close their doors. Their market is shrinking by the year. They got pushed out of the 33x44 market, Hasselblad market and they're not in the portable, mirrorless market. At best, they will wind up being a software company if they open up C1 to include all cameras. Otherwise, this may very well be the last release.

MrSmith

Leica seem to do ok in a luxury/exclusive/high end market and they don't have a successful software company in their portfolio so i wouldn’t write off P1 just yet.

DB5

It sure is weird to watch Phase One go from practical high quality products for the working photographer and the pinnacle of relevance, to nichier than niche and seemingly lost or stuck in its ways and fast becoming irrelevant.

No Hasselblad H fit - :thumbdown: Actually - screw you Phase One for leaving H users in the lurch
2 cards that don't write simultaneously even though their press release suggests it - :thumbdown:
A design and paradigm that is no longer relevant. :thumbdown:
Marketing fluff :thumbdown: artfilters and focus peaking is not revolutionary... Sony used to say "steady shot inside" so it seems Sony's influence is far and reaching. This seems really gimmicky marketing covering up for the fact that this upgrade is out of alignment with what is happening with the real revolution in the industry. Infinity platform? give us a break! Just because you use a word like infinity doesn't change the fact your camera system is outdated.

At this point in time I see no aspect that is geared to the future of the industry and a company that is stuck in it's ways and likely in trouble. That is a shame to see for someone who has been buying their backs for 14 years - I'm out.

The King is dead. Long live the King.

Last edited:

Phase V

Leica seem to do ok in a luxury/exclusive/high end market and they don't have a successful software company in their portfolio so i wouldn’t write off P1 just yet.
I guess Leica is worldwide known as a luxury brand, even from people who are not
photo enthusiastic, ask someone who is not in the game and you probably get the
answer "Phase WHAT??"