The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Transition on lenses for the IQ4 150

Phase V

So, i went thru the article DT posted here about lenses for the 150 Mpx era:

Lenses for 150 Megapixels – Phase One IQ4

My 120 LS BR is considered a "Great" lens.
I wonder why PC Mag tested it then as one of the best lens they ever tested?

https://uk.pcmag.com/phase-one-schn...se-one-schneider-kreuznach-120mm-ls-f40-macro

My 70 HR Digaron is also just Great and the 32er is Extraordinary, but the MTF curves
Rodenstock provides might me think the other way around.

And where is the 80 LS BR standard lens, the "Good" 80 LS here listed?

Guess we have to wait for some real world testing.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So, i went thru the article DT posted here about lenses for the 150 Mpx era:
My 120 LS BR is considered a "Great" lens.
I wonder why PC Mag tested it then as one of the best lens they ever tested?

https://uk.pcmag.com/phase-one-schn...se-one-schneider-kreuznach-120mm-ls-f40-macro

My 70 HR Digaron is also just Great and the 32er is Extraordinary, but the MTF curves
Rodenstock provides might me think the other way around.

Guess we have to wait for some real world testing.
Our Future Testing - We are looking forward to doing a huge battery of real-world tests and making the raws available so you can come to your own conclusions. That will certainly provide a much more objective and valuable source of data than our subjective summary here.

Your Own Testing - We're glad to facilitate any customer testing at our offices in NYC and LA or via shipment elsewhere in the US. We have IQ4 open houses coming up in 10 cities starting next Thursday, and will have an IQ4 150mp beta unit at those open houses that clients will be welcome to use and take home raw files from.

In the meantime... - We would wait for the above two, but we know some customers will (and now, already have) ordered an IQ4 150mp before they are possible to provide, and wanted to provide a good-faith-if-speculative evaluation of which lenses are the best pairing for the IQ4 150mp.

Subjective - It's definitely subjective. There are many aspects of a lens to consider and reducing a lens to a single word/letter score is an oversimplification at best. Nevertheless, it provides some value. While reasonable people might place one of these lenses up one or down one notch in our scoring, I doubt many would find them off (in their evaluation) more than that.

Great vs Extraordinary - The difference between great and extraordinary is pretty narrow. I'd go so far as to say that, other than bragging right, the only meaningful practical differences will manifest at the envelope of performance/usage. For example, making a very large print of a very detailed subject, shooting at f/5.

PC Mag - Their points of reference and expectations are likely quite different than ours. I'm not a car guy, and I certainly don't have much experience with Porches and Maseratis. If my job was doing Consumer Reports reviews of mid-range 4-doors and someone ever gave me the penultimate Maserati to test drive I would likely be gushing with praise.

Feedback - We very much welcome feedback and disagreement on our listings. If enough people feel that one of the lenses should be up or downgraded we will gladly change our listing, or at least note the disagreement in the article. It's a very important topic; a great sensor is moot without great glass.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
And where is the 80 LS BR standard lens, the "Good" 80 LS here listed.
The entry for "80LS" was meant to read "80LS BR" in the top chart. I have now corrected that.

In the bottom chart it is listed as "80LS" since that is the most recent meaningful optical change to that lens.

stevenfr

Hi Doug

When do you think you will start testing? As I mentioned in another forum thread, I am very interested in the ISO Sweep compared to the IQ3 100. As you know it is the print quality not the screen quality that interest me. I know it would be hard for you to know my tolerances vs yours. Just your overall impressions would be interesting.

Thanks Steven

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
When do you think you will start testing? As I mentioned in another forum thread, I am very interested in the ISO Sweep compared to the IQ3 100. As you know it is the print quality not the screen quality that interest me. I know it would be hard for you to know my tolerances vs yours. Just your overall impressions would be interesting.
As early as next week.