The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Peculiar XF question

satybhat

Hi all,

I've got three projects lined up starting in December, up and until end of Feb. Two of these are events, one charity shoot requiring A3 prints. The only common stipulation is that they need to be shot on film -- the guy and his wife used to run an old photo developing lab in Bombay. I'll need AF for the event shoots.

Specific Query: Is there any way to attach a film back to the Phase XF?

My only other option is an old H1-80(2.8) and a Hassy film back. Or just my plain trusty F6, but that wouldn't impress the old man.

So does the XF system play well with MF film backs or any third-party backs? What are my options?

Thanks !

DB5

Hi all,

I've got three projects lined up starting in December, up and until end of Feb. Two of these are events, one charity shoot requiring A3 prints. The only common stipulation is that they need to be shot on film -- the guy and his wife used to run an old photo developing lab in Bombay. I'll need AF for the event shoots.

My only other option is an old H1-80(2.8) and a Hassy film back. Or just my plain trusty F6, but that wouldn't impress the old man.

So does the XF system play well with MF film backs or any third-party backs? What are my options?

Thanks !
The XF doesn't work with film backs.

Abstraction

Hi all,

Thanks !
This is what I would do: Buy two or 3 Mamiya 645 cameras and a whole bunch of inserts, a 150, 80 and a 55 lens and shoot away.

Alternatively, get 3 Mamiya c330 cameras with 150, 80 and 65mm lenses and fire away. It's easier to shoot with Mamiya 645 because it's much faster to change film in the middle of the action.

The reaso I say get 3 cameras is so you have backups.

Having said all that, I wouldn't shoot an event with med format film cameras because they don't make 220 film anymore and you don't want to switch rolls every 12-15 shots. If you have to use med format film, use it for portraits and shoot candids in 35mm