The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo Offerings - Late 2018 Edition

drunkenspyder

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys like this type of thread that announces upcoming products? If I were to have another one just about ready to go would you want to see it and comment on it? Let me know!
Absolutely Blake! This type of thread is of tremendous value from my point of view.

drunkenspyder

If true.... it's embarrassing. ....... still no 28mm lens.. (However, I have huge doubts it will come and can be any good, as Phase lacks the knowledge in lens design when it comes to modern lenses)
That must be it; all my Phase lenses are terrible. They obviously have no clue what they are doing. Embarrassing. My 35, 40-80, and 240 are more than a match for the IQ4. So, P1 must have some idea of what they are doing. Really, could we have any more silly hyperbole?:rolleyes:

I would love to see a new 28, because the old one is not impressive, but the current 35 leads me to believe that Phase could make a wonderful 28 if they so desire. Why they haven't, I don't know. It's a lot of sensor to cover, and the 35 is fairly wide already. The Hassy at 21 and the Fuji at 23 are effectively a bit wider than the Phase 35 is, but not by orders of magnitude. I liked the Fuji 23 when I tried it, but not enough to switch systems. And I liked the Hassy at 21 even more, enough [when their dust settles] to want to add it to my kit. But not enough to dump the Phase; still, YMMV. And who knows what the future might bring.

FWIW, I enjoy my Phase lenses very much when shooting with the XF; but I have little desire to use those same lenses on my Cambo. They are big suckers, dwarfing the Rodie and Schneider equivalents, which I acknowledge are not without their tradeoffs. But I realize that's just me, and I completely support user choice, and would love to see a Phase/S-K adapter for the Cambo (though I suspect it would not see much adoption). Why stick a heavy piece of AF metal and glass on a tech cam, just to lose most of the AF and auto-functionality? But again, I see why some might want to try, and I wouldn't be averse to trying out some of my S-Ks on the Cambo. If I still had two Phase backs, I would probably be more inclined to carry a single set of lenses, so that makes sense, too.

Cambo has shown a remarkable dexterity in releasing a slew of adaptive products. But as others have pointed out, Phase is hardly alone among camera/lens makers that decline to disclose full specs on their equipment to third parties. If it makes you want to dump Phase for Fuji, it's a relatively free world. And Fuji is clearly gunning for your $.

I've got the V adapter for my Cambo. It replaces the ebay-sourced one I had, and is exceptionally well-made. I love Cambo's approach to the market. I hope they can keep going. Being able to use the Superachromats on the Cambo is wonderful.

Christopher

Lucky you... and your correct the 45 is great. The 150 is great. However, the rest is fine, but not the best there is...

I have now tested 3 35s and all aren’t that great. All have one weak side. My own was still ok on the IQ3100 but really lacks on the left side with the new back. And yes my lens is in its specifications... it was at phase one, still has warranty and still isn’t great.

I have test images off 3 40-80 lenses and was never impressed. No match for Fuji’s 32-64 lens. I know however, that the 40-80 has some brilliant copies as I used one right at the beginning which actually was super. (It still was a none BR lens)

In all fairness the GFX is currently not as demanding on lenses as a Iq4150, but I can’t wait to get my hands on a GFX100 and see if anything changes, but I have the feeling the GF lenses will do fine.

Using my XF glass on a technical camera, wouldn’t be for using it with my Phase systems, but being a let to stitch with the Fuji ;)

Phase V

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Zeiss 250 Superachromat and
the 240 Blue Ring PhaseOne? I know the later is Autofocus etc. but the Zeiss could be
adapted on both the Cambo and the XF via adapters.

drunkenspyder

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Zeiss 250 Superachromat and
the 240 Blue Ring PhaseOne? I know the later is Autofocus etc. but the Zeiss could be
adapted on both the Cambo and the XF via adapters.
Actually, yes, I have, though hardly a scientific one. I have the 250SA and 350SA, and a 500, though it is not in the same league as the SAs. I shot all the lenses on the XF/Trichro. The 250 compared quite well, though I preferred color out of the 240. The 250SA is an amazing lens given its design simplicity [and age].

But by sheer coincidence, I am today testing all five of the following lenses on the IQ4 in prep for an upcoming trip:
250SA
350SA
500 Tele-APOTessar
S-K 240 BR + TC
Mamiya 300/4.5
Will post more soon.

Boinger

Lucky you... and your correct the 45 is great. The 150 is great. However, the rest is fine, but not the best there is...

I have now tested 3 35s and all aren’t that great. All have one weak side. My own was still ok on the IQ3100 but really lacks on the left side with the new back. And yes my lens is in its specifications... it was at phase one, still has warranty and still isn’t great.

I have test images off 3 40-80 lenses and was never impressed. No match for Fuji’s 32-64 lens. I know however, that the 40-80 has some brilliant copies as I used one right at the beginning which actually was super. (It still was a none BR lens)

In all fairness the GFX is currently not as demanding on lenses as a Iq4150, but I can’t wait to get my hands on a GFX100 and see if anything changes, but I have the feeling the GF lenses will do fine.

Using my XF glass on a technical camera, wouldn’t be for using it with my Phase systems, but being a let to stitch with the Fuji ;)

It is easier to design better lenses for a smaller sensor. And when you consider that the GFX lenses are almost as big as other MF lenses. It is no wonder that they are that good. Phase lenses would have to be even bigger than they are currently to match the optical performance to cover the full sensor.

Steve C

I wanted to update this as well. Early this morning I received some additional information from Cambo HQ regarding this statement:

It makes sense to offer an adapter to enable the use of Hasselblad-V lenses on a WRS
· there are plenty of those around
· it gives access to some unusual focal lengths you couldn’t use (or wouldn't be available) otherwise
· most important, those lenses were designed for a format larger than the current sensor size, so the image circle will still enable a bit of shift.

Regarding modern Phase One lenses, they were specially designed to cover the 40x54mm sensor. So because of this there (possibly) isn't much room for movement depending on the lens. So basically an adapter wouldn't allow for anything that couldn't arguably be done better using the native camera system.

Hope that helps clear some things up a little bit.

On a completely unrelated note, do you guys like this type of thread that announces upcoming products? If I were to have another one just about ready to go would you want to see it and comment on it? Let me know!
It is very useful to have Cambo officially represented on this forum. Furthermore, PLEASE request a simple WRS adapter for Pentax 67 lenses. I have asked for this for over 2 years. These lenses have large image circles, manual apertures, no shutter, are very high quality and low cost. This seems like a no-brainer for Cambo and should be easier to accomplish than the Hasselblad V-adapter.

CAMBOUSA

It is very useful to have Cambo officially represented on this forum. Furthermore, PLEASE request a simple WRS adapter for Pentax 67 lenses. I have asked for this for over 2 years. These lenses have large image circles, manual apertures, no shutter, are very high quality and low cost. This seems like a no-brainer for Cambo and should be easier to accomplish than the Hasselblad V-adapter.
Steve,

I assure you. I bring it up almost weekly a Pentax 67 solution of some kind on my conference calls.

I'm doin' my best over here!

Of course take everything I say with more than a few grains of salt. I have almost zero to say on the R&D side of things (and for good reason).

CAMBOUSA

Absolutely Blake! This type of thread is of tremendous value from my point of view.
Of course! Once I have something I can share that is more official than a CAD rendering I'll be sure to let everyone know.

On that note I will be spending next week at the factory (and touring the beautiful countryside of The Netherlands) for our first Cambo USA workshop. I'm hoping to snag some behind the scenes shots of some work in progress...and I've already been told I'm getting my hands on something that is coming soon and has been being eagerly talked about for a while now.

pigtango

Hi Blake,

Any chance at all that Cambo will make a 4x5 film rear standard/bellows kit for the Actus? That we can switch out to film when wanted, similar to the Arca Swiss Universalis? Would be great to be able to use the same camera base and swap out standards when the need or want arises.

CAMBOUSA

Hi Blake,

Any chance at all that Cambo will make a 4x5 film rear standard/bellows kit for the Actus? That we can switch out to film when wanted, similar to the Arca Swiss Universalis? Would be great to be able to use the same camera base and swap out standards when the need or want arises.

I'll pass this along and see what the consensus is!

Earlier this year I was given the unfortunate information that there were VERY limited 4x5 options in remaining stock, and the decision had been made to discontinue them once stock was sold through. No guarantees, but I'll see what can be done!

CAMBOUSA

IMG_3615 1.jpg

I know I said I would wait until I had more than some CAD renderings, but I had a chance last week to actually get my hands on the working prototype of these.

You are looking at a rendering of the upcoming AC-380 and AC-381 Fine Gear Drives.

This double gear knob kit for focus and tilt will be interchangeable with the current axle/knob/gear. The large knob controls as it does with the existing knob set, however this will add a smaller knob that reduces the movement to 1:5 gearing for more precise control and self locking.

The new gearing is VERY smooth and feels wonderful to use.

The first batch of these were being sent for anodization while we were touring the factory last week, so I would expect them to be available soon! I can happily announce that they are currently available for pre-order as of yesterday!

Smoothjazz

Good news! According to the Capture Integration website, Cambo is now manufacturing an adapter for Phase Blue Ring lenses, to mount onto the Cambo technical camera. This will allow me to use some of my Phase lenses-very happy to hear this.

I wanted to update this as well. Early this morning I received some additional information from Cambo HQ regarding this statement:

It makes sense to offer an adapter to enable the use of Hasselblad-V lenses on a WRS
· there are plenty of those around
· it gives access to some unusual focal lengths you couldn’t use (or wouldn't be available) otherwise
· most important, those lenses were designed for a format larger than the current sensor size, so the image circle will still enable a bit of shift.

Regarding modern Phase One lenses, they were specially designed to cover the 40x54mm sensor. So because of this there (possibly) isn't much room for movement depending on the lens. So basically an adapter wouldn't allow for anything that couldn't arguably be done better using the native camera system.

Hope that helps clear some things up a little bit.

Mexecutioner

Good news! According to the Capture Integration website, Cambo is now manufacturing an adapter for Phase Blue Ring lenses, to mount onto the Cambo technical camera. This will allow me to use some of my Phase lenses-very happy to hear this.
Yes, but no aperture control or electronic communication of any kind, even on the XT.

Smoothjazz

I can work with that; usually for landscape work I am setting the aperture most of the time to f8-f11 range.
Focusing should not be an issue, and coverage of the sensor should be complete. Now I can use my 80mm, 110mm, and hopefully even the 150mm Blue Ring lenses on the Cambo camera.

Yes, but no aperture control or electronic communication of any kind, even on the XT.

Mexecutioner

I can work with that; usually for landscape work I am setting the aperture most of the time to f8-f11 range.
Focusing should not be an issue, and coverage of the sensor should be complete. Now I can use my 80mm, 110mm, and hopefully even the 150mm Blue Ring lenses on the Cambo camera.
Price is really attractive for this adapter, so for many it is a no-brainer.

Let us know how it goes, I am sure you'll have a lot of fun!

BFD

Hi Blake,

Rear tilt built into the WRS body so it can be used with all lenses :grin:

A revised hood with more than one filter slot, just two would be great. And built slightly different so the filters doesn't get scratched when you put them in. As it is now the filters can get scratched if there's grit on the circle where the hood itself is attached. I shoot a lot in rather sandy conditions so it tends to be a problem for me but I'm sure that for a lot of users it isn't a problem.
FYI, rear tilt is not the same as front tilt.

vjbelle

Redesign the front standard so that it has LOCKING movements. I'll buy it..... I'll bet others would too.

Victor

alistairsimmons

My only reservation on this is how good it is for the lens?