The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hasselblad v dB or h/645??

Atracksler

I sold my 645 AFD a year. Or so ago with an Aptus 22 back.
I liked the images, but was frustrated about tethering, so I kind of threw the baby out with the bath water, and sold it to get a 503cxi - I thought I would just shoot film with it and my 4x5. I would leave the A7 for work.

I miss shooting MFD. I know its not logical, but neither is my M8. For me, time is precious, and I don’t get to processing my film, which will just get scanned anyway..

I am looking at Hasselblad V Backs. Mostly the 22MP ones, since I really dig the fat pixel look, and if I need mega huge files for something, the Sony can be used.

The prices on these are steeper than the Mamiya versions. It’s close to getting an H2/3D (especially if I sold the 503 and my 4x5), or going back to the AFD, or Pentax 645D, or even with a bit of saving the Fuji. And I’m pretty much shooting the same size as the 645 backs.

So, I am in a conundrum.

Any advice for a poor soul like me? Up here in Maine, there aren’t a lot of camera shops to test these out.

Thanks so much in advance...

//ad

dave.gt

I liked the images, but was frustrated about tethering, so I kind of threw the baby out with the bath water, and sold it to get a 503cxi - I thought I would just shoot film with it and my 4x5. I would leave the A7 for work.

I miss shooting MFD. I know its not logical, but neither is my M8. For me, time is precious, and I don’t get to processing my film, which will just get scanned anyway..

I am looking at Hasselblad V Backs. Mostly the 22MP ones, since I really dig the fat pixel look, and if I need mega huge files for something, the Sony can be used.

The prices on these are steeper than the Mamiya versions. It’s close to getting an H2/3D (especially if I sold the 503 and my 4x5), or going back to the AFD, or Pentax 645D, or even with a bit of saving the Fuji. And I’m pretty much shooting the same size as the 645 backs.

So, I am in a conundrum.

Any advice for a poor soul like me? Up here in Maine, there aren’t a lot of camera shops to test these out.

//ad

Well, only you can value what works for you. In my own case, the Studio's H5D with a film back does all I need. It is far more versatile than my own 503cxi, which is on consignment as we speak.

Do I love the 503cxi? Absolutely, but since I cannot afford both, I made a decision and do not regret going with the H system.

Would I love a fat pixel back? Yep! But, again, I can only do one thing at a time.:)

Photon42

First off I am clearly not the expert here, but I do own a CFV-50c and an 10 year old S2, I got for a really amazingly low price. The V system's widest offering essentially is 40mm (38mm, if you count the SWC, but this is another shooting experience). If wide angle is important for you, carefully consider the crop factor of the DB in question.

The second aspect is integration. The CFV-50c is integrated almost perfectly with the V cameras. No extra cables. Can work with the 200 series if the camera receives a small modification (albeit somewhat costly). Not sure this is important for you.

The third aspect is recording media flexibility. The V offers film (different formats) and digital. The S/S2 obviously only allows for digital. I list it here because you can get H, m645 and V adapters for it.

Last not least: how about the shutter concept and flash and flash synchronisation? The 500 series allows for sync speeds up to 1/500. The H goes up to 1/800 and 1/2000 with selected lenses (not sure it works with all bodies).

You do not disclose what are you missing from MF other than "Fat Pixels". Working from a tripod with lots of consideration per shot, some usability flaws may just not be important.

med

I was once in a similar conundrum and as much as I love love love my 500 series V body for film, it really works best as a square system in my opinion... so unless you plan to track down a square sensor CFV then you need to consider how your usage will change with a 4:3 sensor, I.e how will you shoot verticals? Unless you have the bulky winder grip and prism (which kill some of the V appeal for me).

I ended up going with an H system which I have really enjoyed using (although I have now moved on again to the Phase XF).

Good luck with your choice!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have a P45+ with the Hassy 555/ELD, it is workable but using the flash sync cord is a mess.

But, I don't think old MFD gear makes any sense any longer:

• 24x36 mm is pretty good.
  • If 24x36 mm is not good enough, go 44x33 mm, Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D are great options.
  • If 44x33 is not good enough go for high end, 54x41 mm, but be prepared to pay >20 k$US for gear.
It may be that we like some other stuff, and that is OK. But, finding rationale may be hard.

My experience is shooting with Phase One P45+ on Hasselblad V-system. I like to shoot with it, but it has been phased out for 42 MP on 24x36 mm. It is a system that delivers 95% of the time.

Shooting with ancient stuff may be fun, but it is hard work and the results often don't match expectations.

Best regards
Erik

So, I am in a conundrum.

//ad

jng

It depends on your intended use(s). If your eyes are sharp and the focus path is properly aligned and accurately calibrated, in decent light conditions and shooting from a tripod, using a digital back on the old Hasselblad bodies can give beautiful results that IMHO stand out from the 35mm FF cameras. But it's a labor of love so best left to those who have some history with using the older V system bodies and already have a collection of the better lenses. And as noted by others, the crop sensor backs will restrict you on the wide end. The good news is that with the latest iterations from Phase One these older backs can be found for a song.

For several years I used an IQ160 (40x54 mm sensor) on a 501CM body. I got some great images but it wasn't easy. I've since gone down the tech cam rabbit hole so have left the old V system behind me (although still keeping the Zeiss magic of some of the V system tele's via an adapter). I also have an X1D. While it's as versatile as any modern mirrorless camera with terrific image quality, it's just a different experience than using an old Hassy 500 series body.

John

Atracksler

Looks like an H2 might be a reasonable solution, and keep the 503 for film.

Other than it being old(er) is there any disadvantage to the H2? I know it may have slower AF, but its still faster than the 503's AF :)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Looks like an H2 might be a reasonable solution, and keep the 503 for film.

Other than it being old(er) is there any disadvantage to the H2? I know it may have slower AF, but its still faster than the 503's AF :)
503's AF ? ? ? I have never heard of that . Have I missed somethong here :banghead:

Atracksler

And then I find a nice aptus 75 for hasselblad v’s.

Any opinions on one of these? Seems like there aren’t a ton of reviews.
Modify message