The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GFX time-lapse issues

drevil

Staff member
I guess not many of you who shoot the GFX do use the time-lapse function alot.

Well i do occasionally and thus i found a problem.

Lets do this quick, the resulting images, combined into a video.... flicker, quite strong actually.
after alot of testing i found out that it must be related to the aperture blades, i think they are closing/open not at the same time, each time.
therefore the resulting images are slightly exposed differently.

when i shot a time-lapse on my GF 23mm wide open the flicker issue was gone completely, settings were all fixed, iso, f stop and exposure time.

anybody else has used the timelapse function and can confirm this?

i already send fujifilm a support case, no answer at all.

cheers

mirko

ejpeiker

Lets do this quick, the resulting images, combined into a video.... flicker, quite strong actually.
after alot of testing i found out that it must be related to the aperture blades, i think they are closing/open not at the same time, each time.

when i shot a time-lapse on my GF 23mm wide open the flicker issue was gone completely, settings were all fixed, iso, f stop and exposure time.

cheers

mirko
Can you run the time lapse function using electronic shutter? That would solve the uneven exposures issues. Of course if you have things that are moving significantly and you are using a slow shutter speed, you might get some weird rolling shutter.

M

mjr

I haven't used this function so not talking from experience, but are you processing the stills in lightroom and then producing the timelapse in PS? If so, can you not select 1 image and then equalise the exposure across all the others in the set? If it's flickering due to uneven exposure then it sounds like you just need to sort the exposures out? I may not be picking up on what you mean so apologies if I'm missing the point! If this is what you need then highlight the image with the correct exposure, shift click on all the others then go to settings and match total exposure. Might be worth a try.

Mat

drevil

Staff member
Can you run the time lapse function using electronic shutter? That would solve the uneven exposures issues. Of course if you have things that are moving significantly and you are using a slow shutter speed, you might get some weird rolling shutter.
i did test that of course as well, same result, i see the issue with the blades

Gerd

cheers

mirko
I can confirm the problem. But this is normal for modern cameras that focus on open aperture and only switch to the working aperture when the picture is taken. The behavior does not change in manual mode either.
If you use manual MF lenses on the GFX (for example, Pentax / Mamiya 645 lenses), then the problem is not.

You can dimming the GFX via the aperture key in manual mode. Unfortunately that only holds exactly for one picture - then the aperture opens again.

Greeting Gerd

Paul2660

Flicker,

Yes, the best way to fix is to fix the aperture blades at a certain aperture. This issue is common with both Nikon and Canon and Sony DSLR's unless you slightly release the lens. With Canon it often took several attempts, to slightly release the lens, thus fixing the aperture so the lens would no longer stop down. The trick is releasing the lens, without getting an error. I have not tried this with Fuji, but have done it often with Nikon and the 19mm PC-E to allow it to be used on the Fuji. (not for time lapse but just to get a aperture)

Another solution with the Fuji, would be to try a non Fuji lens with an adapter like a Nikon 14-24 or similar Canon lens. The aperture will be fixed by the adapter and thus the problem should be removed.

Paul C