The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2018 Safari in Tanzania with H6D100c and S007

ndwgolf

Okay so I am back home from Safari and have some pictures to share with you guys. The pictures were taken with both my Leica S007 and with my Hasselblad H6D100c. For those of you that like full size picture you can see full size JPGs HERE For those of you who prefer a quick look you can see the same pictures below..........
I hope you enjoy looking at my pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them.

Neil

ndwgolf

Great images, Neil. :thumbup:

What worked and what didn't? Which lenses did you use most and which stayed in the bag? I'm curious because I kept up with your preparation thread before the trip and know that you put a lot of thought into what to take.

Joe
Good morning Joe
I ended up taking H6D with Leica S007 as a backup. I used the H6D 90% of the time with the HC300 attached 99% of the time, during the mara river crossing I put my HC50 II for a few wide angle shots.......I was worried about changing lenses in the field so stuck with the HC300 all the time. I also had the 1.7 TC but you loose AF so I tried it once and decided to just stick with the 300mm.
I used HC150 and HC50 on the Leica S007 but once you see the Hassy files it's hard to use anything else unless you need something wider.
Dust Was everywhere, but surprisingly I only had to clean the H6D sensor once for the whole 7 days and that was to remove just one spot.
Next time I will take the same set up but leave the TC at home and just take 300mm and 100mm.... lugging two heavy bodies and 3 heavy lenses is a PITA but was worth it when I see the files
All in all a great trip. I'm away to print my favourite 25 images today and auction them off for a local charity in Phuket Thailan
I will post up some more of my images later today
Neil

tcdeveau

Great images, thanks for sharing! Thanks for sharing info about what gear worked/didn’t etc too
-Todd

D&A

Neil, I echo what others here have expressed. Simply lovely and a wonderful diverse collection of images from your safari. Thank you for taking the time to post images as well as provide some technical perspective too.

Dave (D&A)

DB5

Awesome Neil,

I much prefer this perspective than the usual 500 or 600mm on 35mm cameras that people normally do and say you have to have. The environment is just as important as the subject and these give the images a lot more context AND, more importantly I find it more interesting, and I respect it far more because it's harder to get a good landscape AND a good animal shot too.

Touched to hear you are doing a charity auction too.

Bloody marvellous mate, well done.

:clap:

Pemihan

Awesome Neil,

I much prefer this perspective than the usual 500 or 600mm on 35mm cameras that people normally do and say you have to have. The environment is just as important as the subject and these give the images a lot more context AND, more importantly I find it more interesting, and I respect it far more because it's harder to get a good landscape AND a good animal shot too.

Touched to hear you are doing a charity auction too.

Bloody marvellous mate, well done.

:clap:
+1 I too find images with the environment more interesting than the closeups of the animals that overall seems to be the standard.

Last edited:

Pradeep

Great photographs and thanks for sharing.

I too have been around the block with MF and wildlife. I guess we all want absolutely the best images in terms of resolution and color/contrast and in the end MF does deliver, at least if you print really big. I took my Pentax 645Z to Africa, along with my Canon and Sony systems. I also like the 'animal in the habitat' concept and it was an interesting exercise. However, at least for me the MF lure did not last very long and ever since Sony came up with the A7r3, I have not looked back.

The problem with MF and wildlife is that while you can take really beautiful photos of relatively slow-moving animals (especially larger ones), it is very difficult to do so in many other situations. For example, birds (and I like them) are too small in the frame even at 300 mm unless you are really close, which they almost never let you get, and it is almost impossible to get a BIF shot with MF. Action events, where the animal is jumping or running are also much harder, as is low light shooting which is more often than not the best image making time for wildlife.

I found that even with a high resolution sensor on an MF body, I was having to crop heavily with lenses shorter than 300mm. At the time there was really no good solution in terms of long lenses.

I was constantly lugging both my Canon and the Pentax systems to fulfill all my needs. That became too much to handle and I gave up on MF. Now I am only shooting Sony and while it is not perfect, hopefully when they come out with the longer lenses it will be close to fulfilling my needs.

Of course if one is only into 'animalscape' photography then MF may be quite enough. But if you, like me, also want to shoot birds and action it gets much harder.

The point is that while you can do everything MF does with 35mm, including environmental images, you can't do everything with MF alone and that's the rub.

Neil, would you mind sharing if your photos here were cropped at all? Must say you've got some great ones here. Thanks again for posting.

ndwgolf

Very little cropping on the pictures I posted..example the elephant head has zero cropping..
I have a second bunch of pictures that I will post early next week that have quite a bit of cropping but still good for printing at A2
Neil

Pradeep

Very little cropping on the pictures I posted..example the elephant head has zero cropping..
I have a second bunch of pictures that I will post early next week that have quite a bit of cropping but still good for printing at A2
Neil
Thanks. That means you were quite close to the elephant. Of course it is a large animal and at 300mm (?240mm FF equivalent) it would fill the frame, but only if it is close enough, especially if you want a tight shot of the head and trunk only.

From your photos and Andy Biggs' last post on the other thread, it is clear that with MF, you need a reach of over 200mm, preferably 300mm, even for the habitat shots. That makes lens choices rather limited which was the problem I was having with Pentax, especially since the older legacy lenses were not stabilized and the AF was difficult on such a high resolution body. I once owned the P1 system too, but stopped short of getting the 240mm lens as it became too bulky and yet did not provide the reach I had with Canon.

Wonder where we are headed though, with the 100mpx Fuji sensor and accompanying lenses, with advanced IBIS and PDAF capabilities. Surely must be exciting for MF enthusiasts. And at a price point that is only a little more than the top 35mm bodies, there is bound to be a lot of interest in this system.

PedroL

Great shots ! Keep them coming !

CU,
Rafael
Hello Neil. Over 30 years operating custom photo lab, I have seen thousands safari images from all over the world. Yours are now sitting on top of totem pole....
Congratulation, amazingly beautiful stuff. Peter