The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New XCD Lenses - 65, 80, 135 XCD

DB5

available for sale in USA right now and in stock

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=hasselblad x1d-50c&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

out stock does not mean discontinued!
True, but discontinued might. 2x discontinued is even more interesting. 2x Discontinued and "Out of Stock" on the Hasselblad site and you really have to wonder.

Just because B&H has them doesn't mean it isn't the last of the stock. It would make sense B&H has the last of the stock when they are a sort of central hub and get lots of attention to sell stock.

Hasselblad may just be playing their cards close to their chest at the moment to watch what Fuji did.

There must be a H-150 very soon too I think.

jduncan

True, but discontinued might. 2x discontinued is even more interesting. 2x Discontinued and "Out of Stock" on the Hasselblad site and you really have to wonder.

Just because B&H has them doesn't mean it isn't the last of the stock. It would make sense B&H has the last of the stock when they are a sort of central hub and get lots of attention to sell stock.

Hasselblad may just be playing their cards close to their chest at the moment to watch what Fuji did.

There must be a H-150 very soon too I think.
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. By the way, the camera never cost 12990$ so either you have issues with Math or with true. I guess is math the issue. But yes it's a heavy discount. But it's not a new one. It just put the camera price inline with the market, in particular, the Fuji. Based on this I will say it's difficult to read to much into it. I hope Hasselblad announces a new body soon, but at this moment is wishful thinking.

Best regards,

JeRuFo

I don't think Kamera-Express ever had the X1D itself marked as discontinued, only an entry on their site. They re-list stuff all the time, because packages and prices change. It is now in stock and ready for order.
Not many camera stores here in Holland sell the X1d anymore, I think Hasselblad or an importer only give them to certain stores because they make so few now? It makes sense that sales are a little slow now with photokina coming up and this iteration coming closer to the end of its life.

Still, if you complain about Hasselblad announcing stuff way too early it is a bit weird if you start speculating even before that happens.
Hasselblad is too invested in the system to stop with it now, and if they wanted to, they wouldn't have set up new production lines for these new lenses. A new body will come, but it will take quite a bit of time still.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Warning ------------- Keep it friendly and polite or I will shut it down AND hand out timeouts....

DB5

I don't think Kamera-Express ever had the X1D itself marked as discontinued, only an entry on their site. They re-list stuff all the time, because packages and prices change. It is now in stock and ready for order.
Not many camera stores here in Holland sell the X1d anymore, I think Hasselblad or an importer only give them to certain stores because they make so few now? It makes sense that sales are a little slow now with photokina coming up and this iteration coming closer to the end of its life.

Still, if you complain about Hasselblad announcing stuff way too early it is a bit weird if you start speculating even before that happens.
Hasselblad is too invested in the system to stop with it now, and if they wanted to, they wouldn't have set up new production lines for these new lenses. A new body will come, but it will take quite a bit of time still.
They did have it listed as Discontinued.

JeRuFo

They did have it listed as Discontinued.
Yes, they did, but not the x1d itself, only that offer. The first time you said that on here I checked on their site and you could still buy a package deal with the 45mm and some other stuff. It was ridiculously expensive compared to the 2 lens deal, but it was still on there. A while after that they ran out of bodies for a few weeks too, but that offer only went out of stock and is now in stock again.
Either way, it is not marked as discontinued now, they are selling it.

DB5

Yes, they did, but not the x1d itself, only that offer. The first time you said that on here I checked on their site and you could still buy a package deal with the 45mm and some other stuff. It was ridiculously expensive compared to the 2 lens deal, but it was still on there. A while after that they ran out of bodies for a few weeks too, but that offer only went out of stock and is now in stock again.
Either way, it is not marked as discontinued now, they are selling it.
Yeah I realise it isn't now but it was and was definitely listed as discontinued as I had to use Google translate to tell. Maybe the direct translation is inaccurate? Maybe Hasselblad asked them to change it. That was for the "Zilver" X1D by itself.

I should have screenshot it.

JeRuFo

Yes, I have seen that too, but in the meantime the black one was still available or out of stock. What I was trying to say is that what they wrote 'niet meer leverbaar' could mean either that the product is discontinued or that the offer in that form no longer exists. They have done that with package deals too, even if the same deal became available later. It is pretty far fetched to assume the whole camera is discontinued based on a 'niet meer leverbaar' on a website somewhere.

Anyway, back to the lenses, since the discussion is moot anyway. The XCD line is alive.

DB5

Yes, I have seen that too, but in the meantime the black one was still available or out of stock. What I was trying to say is that what they wrote 'niet meer leverbaar' could mean either that the product is discontinued or that the offer in that form no longer exists. They have done that with package deals too, even if the same deal became available later. It is pretty far fetched to assume the whole camera is discontinued based on a 'niet meer leverbaar' on a website somewhere.

Anyway, back to the lenses, since the discussion is moot anyway. The XCD line is alive.
That may be the case, sure.

It's not far fetched, though, when the Australian website listed the same thing at the same time. And it was out of stock elsewhere leading up to Photokina. Maybe they did that to force Fuji's hand? Maybe Hasselblad instructed both these dealers to remove "discontinued" and put it all full price because no one would buy it. Who knows.

But I do admit to getting excited about the thought of an imminent 100MP X2D!

Today would have been the day to announce the X2D or at least the development of it ...

... but instead they announced the 3 lenses that where promised for the first semester and are obviously delayed, probably because they wanted to improve some details in the AF mechanism or the leaf shutter.

So to me it is quite clear, that they are far away from the 100 MP body.

I have no problem at all with that, as our attention span seems to shorten every year, like addicted lab monkeys waiting for the next fix (read mark x version of y camera brand).

Ming (Hasselblad's Chief of Strategy) answered recently in his blog to a question about the rumored Hasselblad X2D:

"Actually, two years is a very short product cycle at this price point. I don’t think people who just invested would be happy at a replacement either…nor is the market large enough to support this rate of churn. So, those factors have to be taken into account when planning product…"

I think he is quite right, but on the other hand it is quite dangerous not to dance with the monkeys.

DB5

Today would have been the day to announce the X2D or at least the development of it ...

... but instead they announced the 3 lenses that where promised for the first semester and are obviously delayed, probably because they wanted to improve some details in the AF mechanism or the leaf shutter.

I have no problem at all with that, as our attention span seems to shorten every year, like addicted lab monkeys waiting for the next fix (read mark x version of y camera brand).

Ming (Hasselblad's Chief of Strategy) answered recently in his blog to a question about the rumored Hasselblad X2D:

"Actually, two years is a very short product cycle at this price point. I don’t think people who just invested would be happy at a replacement either…nor is the market large enough to support this rate of churn. So, those factors have to be taken into account when planning product…"

I think he is quite right, but on the other hand it is quite dangerous not to dance with the monkeys.
I think you're right, it's not going to happen.

With regard to Ming's comments - that just feels like sugar coating a bad situation with marketing fluff. It's just a sales pitch. There is not one GFX owner complaining that the GFX100 is coming out too early. I've only heard GFX, Hasselblad and Phase One customers wanting to jump in on the GFX100 now.

jduncan

I think you're right, it's not going to happen.

With regard to Ming's comments - that just feels like sugar coating a bad situation with marketing fluff. It's just a sales pitch. There is not one GFX owner complaining that the GFX100 is coming out too early. I've only heard GFX, Hasselblad and Phase One customers wanting to jump in on the GFX100 now.

Hi,

Fully agree. It's true that Fuji just announced that they are developing the camera, not exactly a preorder today. I am not sure that Hasselblad can do that without all the press and all the YouTubers going after them. As Nikon vs Canon mirrorless cameras shown: it's not a level field, some people can get away with stuff other companies can't. There is simply no Fuji hatters the way that you have Hasselblad haters. Now, as I stated before they should have released today an X1D-100c if they are unable to release an x2d. If the resolution difference was much more (against FF) you could wait. Hasselblad has to understand how the mirrorless camera works. It has Sony not Nikon or Canon in the lead, Sony will not wait 5 years to get people an updated product, so nobody can. When maturity hits mirrorless the wind will slow,

Best regards,

jduncan

Hi,

He also say:

Paul says:
September 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM
Well if the X1D was right I would be buying it now. So there is that. And I’m guessing there are quite a lot like me ready for something. So, those factors would also have to be taken into account when planning product I would think and hope.

Ming Thein says:
September 19, 2018, at 10:24 AM
Sometimes the painfully apparent truth from the customer point of view is the hardest thing to convince people of…

Carl Garrard says:
September 20, 2018, at 11:27 AM
And if camera companies are going to survive they better learn that damn lesson quick Ming.

I am not sure he still works with Hasselblad, but it's clear from that one, and many other blogs, that if he still does is an exercise in frustration.

Maybe we will get something from Hasselblad this Photokina, but right now it seems that we will not. So let's celebrate the lenses.

Best regards,

Hi,

He also say:

Paul says:
September 19, 2018 at 9:29 AM
Well if the X1D was right I would be buying it now. So there is that. And I’m guessing there are quite a lot like me ready for something. So, those factors would also have to be taken into account when planning product I would think and hope.

Ming Thein says:
September 19, 2018, at 10:24 AM
Sometimes the painfully apparent truth from the customer point of view is the hardest thing to convince people of…

Carl Garrard says:
September 20, 2018, at 11:27 AM
And if camera companies are going to survive they better learn that damn lesson quick Ming.

I am not sure he still works with Hasselblad, but it's clear from that one, and many other blogs, that if he still does is an exercise in frustration.

Maybe we will get something from Hasselblad this Photokina, but right now it seems that we will not. So let's celebrate the lenses.

Best regards,

I am sure he still works with Hasselblad. If he would quit already, now that he just started to have some influence, that would be very, very worrying.

Ok, lets celebrate the lenses:

The 65 XCD is a long overdue standard lens, which I am considering buying.

The 80 XCD, OMG, the MTF shows Otus level, or even better, the first photos on Steve Huffs site indicate sweet rendering. I am very tempted to sell my 90 XCD, which I love. This is a worthy successor of the venerable Zeiss Planar 110.

The 135mm/230mm XCD does not convince me. Sure the performance, according to MTF with and without the converter seems spectacular (with converter even better than without).

But on the other hand, it is too big and too heavy, especially in combination with the converter. I have the HC210, which I don't like to take with me because of size and weight. And this combination is even heavier and larger.

Also the 135 is not far away from the 120mm (now 4 lenses within the range of 80-135mm, hmm).

I bought the Leica R 180 Apo-Elmarit with a 2x Apo-Extender which gives me a nice range of 90/180/360 and use this for my landscape needs. Seems I will stay with that, although limited to e-shutter.

tcdeveau

I am sure he still works with Hasselblad. If he would quit already, now that he just started to have some influence, that would be very, very worrying.

Ok, lets celebrate the lenses:

The 65 XCD is a long overdue standard lens, which I am considering buying.

The 80 XCD, OMG, the MTF shows Otus level, or even better, the first photos on Steve Huffs site indicate sweet rendering. I am very tempted to sell my 90 XCD, which I love. This is a worthy successor of the venerable Zeiss Planar 110.

The 135mm/230mm XCD does not convince me. Sure the performance, according to MTF with and without the converter seems spectacular (with converter even better than without).

But on the other hand, it is too big and too heavy, especially in combination with the converter. I have the HC210, which I don't like to take with me because of size and weight. And this combination is even heavier and larger.

Also the 135 is not far away from the 120mm (now 4 lenses within the range of 80-135mm, hmm).

I bought the Leica R 180 Apo-Elmarit with a 2x Apo-Extender which gives me a nice range of 90/180/360 and use this for my landscape needs. Seems I will stay with that, although limited to e-shutter.
Definitely agree that the 65 XCD is a long overdue standard lens. Im pretty happy I’ll finally have something native in between the 45 and the 90, and imagine I’ll use this quite a bit as I shoot frequently with 50ish-mm 35mm FF equivalent lenses. Hopefully theyll ship in December as current shipping estimates indicate.

I’m drooling over the 80mm XCD and wish I could’ve pulled the trigger on one this morning in addition to the 65mm. Looks like a great addition to the system and I love the rendering from the sample images I’ve seen so far.

gmfotografie

Tested the three new lenses - love it.

I already preorder the 65mm - here you can find a RAW of my ugly hand (Distance about 45 cm from lens)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8vhqabcb102ko4d/AACraw-edzWTg-mgmYMMJ-Hna?dl=0

You know at photokina - light is not good and you are under stress... but for 1600 ISO and 2.8 great result.
The other pictures ( with persons) are also very sharp.

65mm I´m waiting - hope Santa brings it ... 80mm you will be next.