The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3

Stuart Richardson

I bought into the S line for the same positives you outline above. Very understandable reference set you have.

I'm intrigued as to why you think the SL is being favoured tbh - the SL lenses are all capable of rendering to 100megapixels + but to date ( hence why I am buying Fuji to use now becaue it is available now and will only get better later....) the SL lenses are restricted to a 24 megapixel chip...I think Leica has serious conflicts of interest between the two systems a lot of potential overlap artificially held apart somewhat by the dual use leaf and focal plane shutter option in S lenses. This seeming confusion is irritating tbh - and life is too short to be irritated for too long. I am prepared to give Leica another year to announce the SL2 but if form factor is radically changed and specifications dont do justice to the lenses I have - I 'm OUT and I am moving partially out already - selling my beloved 90-280 which has been crying out for a 1.4 or two 2X convertor but nothing....nada ...buys me (almost) an XT3 and a 200/2 Fuji for telephoto work delivering an equivalent 400/2.8 for a couple of bucks more than than the 90-280 is worth alone.

the price value proposition for my shooting requirements is not even close comparing IQ betwen systems alone Fuji has Leica SL and S covered, as for shootong pleasure - Fuji has it in bucket loads.
Again, not to lay on the criticism for Leica, but I thought the most exciting thing that was announced or teased in the Leica realm was the Panasonic SR1 -- Leica L mount with 47megapixels, highest resolution EVF ever produced, stabilization (which opens up pixel shift as well), and presumably a video capability that is absolutely first rate alongside Sony. This may be the true video solution for owners of S and SL lenses. Hopefully the sensor stack will work better with M lenses than the Sony's, but even if it doesn't, it is a far more exciting camera than the cosmetic upgrades that Leica announced, and the S3 which is basically the same camera it has sold for 4 years with a resolution bump (which in turn was highly similar to the camera it has sold for ten years only with a different sensor tech with video etc). As Peter mentioned, there is some weird dynamic going on between the SL and S where they both kind of hold each other back. Panasonic and Sigma will not have those constraints.

proenca

For me, its sad really.

Leica is doing H/Blad path - providing niche cameras, to niche buyers but one day, they will be in some serious trouble.

H/Blad did the lunar stupidity over and over and they found themselves at the brink of bankruptcy only to be saved by DJI.

Leica deserves better - and soon, in the medium term, they will find themselves in the same spot. The Leica M camera can only save them so many times.

S3 with 64mp at 25k euros in 2019 ? You nuts ?

S glass is fantastic but GF glass is as good ( and some better, by a large margin ); XCD lenses the same. And XCD lenses cost less and GF lenses cost a LOT and LOT less.

This is my experience : I had S2 and S006, jumped into the GFX boat and now X1D - the Fuji ( and now Blad ) drive is very real and they want to push and democratize medium format. S system is stagnant for years.

Hell, they are releasing a 64mp cropped sensor in 2019 for 25k euros, where H/Blad will release for far less (suspect 15k ) a 100mp and Fuji for 9k a 100mp camera.

S glass and the S camera were innovative and ground breaking : a smaller package ( vs Phase and H series ), weather sealed, lovely OVF and robust.

Not anymore.

Leica have been pouring R&F and now manufacturing costs to something that will sell very, very poor...

The lack of vision in Leica is worrying.

DB5

Yes, I bought into the S2 system before the Nikon D800 even came out. If you had told me at the time that I bought the S2 that the resolution would stay the same for 10 plus years, while every other manufacturer continued to grow with even every 35mm manufacturer surpassing it years in advance, I do not think I would have invested in it. The hard fact now is that I have paid tens of thousands of dollars for cameras and lenses which are only mountable to an extremely expensive, largely uncompetitive camera. The problem is really price more than anything else. It would be very attractive if it were priced like the Fuji and Hasselblad, but when it is priced like three or four Fuji's and Hasselblads, it is extremely frustrating. If this is a private equity issue, then I guess at least we can be thankful that we have not been given a Leica Lunar...
My thoughts exactly. I dumped my S for the same reasons, and the Sensor Corrosion and AF lenses were the nail in the coffin. I took a big hit getting rid of it but I have not looked back. 10 years to wait for another 20MP is totally unacceptable for a Pro camera in my opinion and there is no way I would consider this system now knowing that another upgrade would likely be another 10 years, and to be frank, it's future is totally questionable at this point. If this was the last S I wouldn't be surprised. I'm surprised even to see this one.

It's a great shame, it really could be the best system there is, and the image quality has a unique and very pleasing look about it and the camera, if and when it's working, is nice to use. Leica strategy and management is baffling. The profits they post does not reflect the end quality or usability in my opinion.

PeterA

Again, not to lay on the criticism for Leica, but I thought the most exciting thing that was announced or teased in the Leica realm was the Panasonic SR1 -- Leica L mount with 47megapixels, highest resolution EVF ever produced, stabilization (which opens up pixel shift as well), and presumably a video capability that is absolutely first rate alongside Sony. This may be the true video solution for owners of S and SL lenses. Hopefully the sensor stack will work better with M lenses than the Sony's, but even if it doesn't, it is a far more exciting camera than the cosmetic upgrades that Leica announced, and the S3 which is basically the same camera it has sold for 4 years with a resolution bump (which in turn was highly similar to the camera it has sold for ten years only with a different sensor tech with video etc). As Peter mentioned, there is some weird dynamic going on between the SL and S where they both kind of hold each other back. Panasonic and Sigma will not have those constraints.
At the very least the Panasonic could be a very good second body/backup to the SL....just as interesting will be comparing performance of Sigma lenses in L mount V performance of Leica equivalents...apparently Sigma is releasing 19 L mount Sigma lenses in 2019.

What I find frustrating is Leica's ability to create fantastic new cameras eg the CL and its ecosystem of APC lenses at price points that far more bearable than the 'gallery cost' pieces of glass for the S and SL ....all that said, I don't think large volume sales is a center piece of Leica strategy - it is a niche player and offers high end beautifully engineered and manufactured product - the stuff 'ages' well and doesn't look dated 6 months after you have bought it. If you like the feel of the M /SL / S systems you like the feel simple as that - the only camera I have put in my hands that feels as natural and good as every Leica camera i have ever bought since back in M6 and R8 days is the XID I bought it.

Fuji's GFX50 isnt a bad design - but compared to anything from Leica - nope. I'm interested in the Fuji because of its value proposition as a tool - not because I expect to love using it like I do an M or the SL or an S previously.

The S3 could be everything that the Fuji100 is going to be - and if it was there would be less reason to feel underwhelmed by specs and overwhelmed by relative price differentials. Leica's competitors are no longer PhaseOne and Hasselblad H models - but maybe they never were ( really) ....if I had 4/5/6 S lenses I'd suck it up and no doubt buy an S3 - it will be a great performer - no doubt.

PeterA

My thoughts exactly. I dumped my S for the same reasons, and the Sensor Corrosion and AF lenses were the nail in the coffin. I took a big hit getting rid of it but I have not looked back. 10 years to wait for another 20MP is totally unacceptable for a Pro camera in my opinion and there is no way I would consider this system now knowing that another upgrade would likely be another 10 years, and to be frank, it's future is totally questionable at this point. If this was the last S I wouldn't be surprised. I'm surprised even to see this one.

It's a great shame, it really could be the best system there is, and the image quality has a unique and very pleasing look about it and the camera, if and when it's working, is nice to use. Leica strategy and management is baffling. The profits they post does not reflect the end quality or usability in my opinion.
I have to disagree with yoru last sentence - really the only relevant 'negative' in the whole Leica portfolio has been the problems some have experienced with autofocus motor action in S lenses. Personally I have been lucky to never had an issue with any leica product I have ever bought - except corrosion in M9/MM CCD chips - both of which were replaced free of charge and returned within 6 weeks! Outstanding customer service - although again many others seem to have had different experiences.

DB5

For me, its sad really.

Leica is doing H/Blad path - providing niche cameras, to niche buyers but one day, they will be in some serious trouble.

H/Blad did the lunar stupidity over and over and they found themselves at the brink of bankruptcy only to be saved by DJI.

Leica deserves better - and soon, in the medium term, they will find themselves in the same spot. The Leica M camera can only save them so many times.

S3 with 64mp at 25k euros in 2019 ? You nuts ?

S glass is fantastic but GF glass is as good ( and some better, by a large margin ); XCD lenses the same. And XCD lenses cost less and GF lenses cost a LOT and LOT less.

This is my experience : I had S2 and S006, jumped into the GFX boat and now X1D - the Fuji ( and now Blad ) drive is very real and they want to push and democratize medium format. S system is stagnant for years.

Hell, they are releasing a 64mp cropped sensor in 2019 for 25k euros, where H/Blad will release for far less (suspect 15k ) a 100mp and Fuji for 9k a 100mp camera.

S glass and the S camera were innovative and ground breaking : a smaller package ( vs Phase and H series ), weather sealed, lovely OVF and robust.

Not anymore.

Leica have been pouring R&F and now manufacturing costs to something that will sell very, very poor...

The lack of vision in Leica is worrying.
Well said.

I agree the apparent lack of vision is worrying. I understand they are a small company in a difficult industry though they do receive a great amount of criticism because they are compared with industry giants who can move quickly and make big things happen. But it seems the model they are used to doesn't really hold much respect anymore and the price point they represent and the profits they take, the factories and stores they launch opens them up to even more criticism when the end customer is dealing with such monumental service and reliability issues as they have and are left with products that do not service their needs properly.

I have been reading all the comments around with great interest and I have to say most are skewed to disappointment and a lot are quite negative. While Leica has always attracted criticism and "haters" the products have stood up on their own and have validated things in the end. I'm not sure that is happening anymore.

Maybe Leica can get away with what they do. But from an outsiders perspective it seems quite precarious and that this gravy train and money party that Leica are used to could come to a sudden and abrupt end quite easily especially when introducing a 60MP medium format camera at $28K and not due for another year. I am very interested in how they actually justify this. It seems unexplainable to me.

Marginalising the M in the way they have seems like absolute insanity to me. It's their crown jewel. If people slowed down on the 240, it wasn't because they didn't want the M, it was because they didn't get it right. Hasselblad did that with the V and I really believe that was a major contributor to their issues and downfall at the time. They took away what people wanted, they took away the magic of the company and gave them what was the equivalent of an appliance instead. To me it looks the same in the SL too.

These Panasonic and Zenit (Zenit???? really?) deals are also worrying to me, Zenit is bordering on absurd.

Leica is, I believe, sort of sacred to photography and I really hope we don't loose it or it continues down this path of novelty to the point of being the "fun fair" of the industry. It's really sad to me to see it go and we've lost some really great products like actual polaroid that are now lost forever.

DB5

I have to disagree with yoru last sentence - really the only relevant 'negative' in the whole Leica portfolio has been the problems some have experienced with autofocus motor action in S lenses. Personally I have been lucky to never had an issue with any leica product I have ever bought - except corrosion in M9/MM CCD chips - both of which were replaced free of charge and returned within 6 weeks! Outstanding customer service - although again many others seem to have had different experiences.
Yes, i understand there are people who have had good experiences but personally I have not. The S, well that was a disaster in the end, and the M has gone back many times for many reasons and the turn around has been very slow. They replaced the sensor free of charge on more than one occasion only because they had to. They can market it as "good will" to sound like they give a damn but the reason it finished is because their legal obligation to offer it had finished.

In 30 years of taking pictures I've not had such problems with other brands.

As Peter mentioned, there is some weird dynamic going on between the SL and S where they both kind of hold each other back. Panasonic and Sigma will not have those constraints.
Seems so, the good news is -now as the S3 is announced- the doors for the Leica SL2 47 MP and the new even better Panasonic EVF are open.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I bought into the S line for the same positives you outline above. Very understandable reference set you have.

I'm intrigued as to why you think the SL is being favoured tbh - the SL lenses are all capable of rendering to 100megapixels + but to date ( hence why I am buying Fuji to use now becaue it is available now and will only get better later....) the SL lenses are restricted to a 24 megapixel chip...I think Leica has serious conflicts of interest between the two systems a lot of potential overlap artificially held apart somewhat by the dual use leaf and focal plane shutter option in S lenses. This seeming confusion is irritating tbh - and life is too short to be irritated for too long. I am prepared to give Leica another year to announce the SL2 but if form factor is radically changed and specifications dont do justice to the lenses I have - I 'm OUT and I am moving partially out already - selling my beloved 90-280 which has been crying out for a 1.4 or two 2X convertor but nothing....nada ...buys me (almost) an XT3 and a 200/2 Fuji for telephoto work delivering an equivalent 400/2.8 for a couple of bucks more than than the 90-280 is worth alone.

the price value proposition for my shooting requirements is not even close comparing IQ betwen systems alone Fuji has Leica SL and S covered, as for shootong pleasure - Fuji has it in bucket loads.
Sounds like you have found a winner . Don t get me wrong ...my brother worked for Fuji in the graphic arts industry for almost 15 years . They are a force in any market they go after .

The SL has been hampered by a fear (leica s) that it would make redundant the S had it been given more MP . 24MP was a good place to start balancing still and video . With the S moving to 64 ....everyone expects the SL 2 to come in at 47 MP with the Panasonic (Tower?) sensor .

The SL product line is the future for Leica at the high end ..the M and S as much as I favor them are gradually losing . I expect the next generation SL 2 may share its body and key components with the new Pansonic cameras ..much like Leica and Minolta shared components during the R4/5/6 cameras.

Last edited:

DB5

Sounds like you have found a winner . Don t get the wrong ...my brother worked for Fuji in the graphic arts industry for almost 15 years . They are a force in any market they go after .

The SL has been hampered by a fear (leica s) that it would make redundant the S had it been given more MP . 24MP was a good place to start balancing still and video . With the S moving to 64 ....everyone expects the SL 2 to come in at 47 MP with the Panasonic (Tower?) sensor .

The SL product line is the future for Leica at the high end ..the M and S as much as I favor them are gradually losing . I expect the next generation SL 2 may share its body and key components with the new Pansonic cameras ..much like Leica and Minolta shared components during the R4/5/6 cameras.
SL is definitely the focus. I agree, it seems that M and S are just strategic marketing concepts for the company now. M for heritage and S for Pro. Seems they have both been marginalized though.

drevil

Staff member
and they found themselves at the brink of bankruptcy only to be saved by DJI.

they were saved by a smart new CEO and a brave move with the X1D, sure then DJI came with the millions but still, the basement was founded by perry oosting

erlingmm

Not sure how to approach this. I have been with the S system since the S2 via the S006 to now S007. I have gathered 6 lenses through the years, half used, half new. 2 CS. Stayed put through all the AF-problems, when a solution finally came, I sent in all my lenses for upgrade and paid a minimal fee.

I have travelled the world with the system: New York, California, Karakoram Highway, Kenya, Faroe Islands, Northern Norway. I am actually extremely happy with the system. When I look through my photos, 8 out of 10 of my favourites are taken with the S. I own a Canon Pro-2000 printer, and have printed images up to 60*210 cm, again very happy.
What are in my opinion the strengths of the system?
- I do a lot of travel and hiking, and prefer the DSLR format over the digital back format
- I need a weather sealed system, as I often travel in rough climate, snow, rain. The battery is very strong, even in tough climates.
- I prefer an optical viewfinder. I have had the SL. EVF is for framing, with OVF you can nail the perfect smile at the exact moment.
- I have a Profoto system, and need leaf shutter sometimes. I have 2 CS lenses (70 and 120mm)
- For me, the S is ergonomically perfect. I note that some criticise Leica for using the same body over 10 years. Well, it works, so why change? Has P1 or Hasselblad fundamentally changed?
To sum up: The key is versatility.

Personally, I am very happy with the optics. I have not done scientific comparisons with other brands, I am just very happy with the results. My understanding is that most S lenses have apertures close to 2-2,5, much stronger than many competitors. They give a "Noctilux" feeling, at Medium Format, very delicate.

So, the S3 comes out, late, and at a high price. I guess it has the same "overpriced ratio" as most Leica products, be it FF or APS-C. But it is a lot of money. The new Fuji comes out as low priced, but the standard Hassy and P1 are still priced very high.

What are the new features of the S3, and how the they play out in my situation?
- 64 mpix. Quite optimal for handheld in my opinion, which is what I do most. Yes, I know it is possible to shoot 150 mpix handheld as P1 has demonstrated, but in realistic situations, I very much doubt how much you benefit from higher mpix handheld. If you do more tripod/studio type of photography, and need higher mpix, feel free to pay for it. I will not. But I will consider 64. See Ming's articles about shot discipline.
- S3 brags about ISO 50.000. Let's conservatively assume it is 2 stops better that the S007. For me, going from S006 to S007 was a great step in expanding the usage envelope for Medium Format. You need a certain shutter speed handheld, and it is more critical with MF than FF. S3 is another major step into using MF in demanding situations. This has value for me, and as far as I know it is the best ISO performance of any MF camera.
- 3 pictures per second? Fine, in some demanding situations, but I definitely don't need more.

24k Euros is a lot of money. If I can sell my S007 for 8k+, and get a good deal, the gap is closing in. I get a wider usage envelope, more mpix, in a body that I know and love, with all the features that I have listed above, that are important for me. I am not willing to give up any of these for 100 mpix.

So, yes, I will consider upgrading. But I would like to see RAW images from the new sensor first - can the difference justify an upgrade?

Not sure how to approach this. I have been with the S system since the S2 via the S006 to now S007. I have gathered 6 lenses through the years, half used, half new. 2 CS. Stayed put through all the AF-problems, when a solution finally came, I sent in all my lenses for upgrade and paid a minimal fee.

I have travelled the world with the system: New York, California, Karakoram Highway, Kenya, Faroe Islands, Northern Norway. I am actually extremely happy with the system. When I look through my photos, 8 out of 10 of my favourites are taken with the S. I own a Canon Pro-2000 printer, and have printed images up to 60*210 cm, again very happy.
What are in my opinion the strengths of the system?
- I do a lot of travel and hiking, and prefer the DSLR format over the digital back format
- I need a weather sealed system, as I often travel in rough climate, snow, rain. The battery is very strong, even in tough climates.
- I prefer an optical viewfinder. I have had the SL. EVF is for framing, with OVF you can nail the perfect smile at the exact moment.
- I have a Profoto system, and need leaf shutter sometimes. I have 2 CS lenses (70 and 120mm)
- For me, the S is ergonomically perfect. I note that some criticise Leica for using the same body over 10 years. Well, it works, so why change? Has P1 or Hasselblad fundamentally changed?
To sum up: The key is versatility.

Personally, I am very happy with the optics. I have not done scientific comparisons with other brands, I am just very happy with the results. My understanding is that most S lenses have apertures close to 2-2,5, much stronger than many competitors. They give a "Noctilux" feeling, at Medium Format, very delicate.

So, the S3 comes out, late, and at a high price. I guess it has the same "overpriced ratio" as most Leica products, be it FF or APS-C. But it is a lot of money. The new Fuji comes out as low priced, but the standard Hassy and P1 are still priced very high.

What are the new features of the S3, and how the they play out in my situation?
- 64 mpix. Quite optimal for handheld in my opinion, which is what I do most. Yes, I know it is possible to shoot 150 mpix handheld as P1 has demonstrated, but in realistic situations, I very much doubt how much you benefit from higher mpix handheld. If you do more tripod/studio type of photography, and need higher mpix, feel free to pay for it. I will not. But I will consider 64. See Ming's articles about shot discipline.
- S3 brags about ISO 50.000. Let's conservatively assume it is 2 stops better that the S007. For me, going from S006 to S007 was a great step in expanding the usage envelope for Medium Format. You need a certain shutter speed handheld, and it is more critical with MF than FF. S3 is another major step into using MF in demanding situations. This has value for me, and as far as I know it is the best ISO performance of any MF camera.
- 3 pictures per second? Fine, in some demanding situations, but I definitely don't need more.

24k Euros is a lot of money. If I can sell my S007 for 8k+, and get a good deal, the gap is closing in. I get a wider usage envelope, more mpix, in a body that I know and love, with all the features that I have listed above, that are important for me. I am not willing to give up any of these for 100 mpix.

So, yes, I will consider upgrading. But I would like to see RAW images from the new sensor first - can the difference justify an upgrade?
I have an S007, too, and a range of lenses. Since you've had the SL, how would you compare the two? I have carried my S to more than a few countries, but I'm thinking that the SL might be a little easier to schlep.

bab

Funny I look at the S3 announcement as camera that you can only buy if you believe that Lecia is the best! Their lenses are the best! And that once you have a larger sensor that's all you will ever need to make images.

Leica is really good at making the existing tooling work for them and newer versions of the same exact product as they had with a few upgrades.

With the S3 and its specifications list that has been announced I'll put the camera's desire on the list like almost wanting to buy the limited production of light (albino) Caviar that produced yearly.

At 24k Euro Leica has priced the camera out of reasonable and exotic desire. Unless Leica plans on changing the specification list (If they are even capable producing 2019 up-to-date firmware) and the camera has a much more robust competitiveness against other offerings that can leave the S# in the dust for most jobs.

In closing its not the 24k Euro its the fact that over the last 10 years the S line has had issues, its been seen as a great camera just lacking a higher MP I don't agree. Its also lacking in many other areas. Not to insult anyone were just talking... spending 24k the day you buy it then it's 12k a year later or its worth 8K maybe not exactly but close. So to the point of paying 24k Euro for what it really is (The Camera) seems dumb to me.

@erlingmm and anyone else wanting a handheld MF camera for travel: IMO it would be quite a mistake to preorder an S3 without considering GFX 50R.

Kirk

erlingmm

I have an S007, too, and a range of lenses. Since you've had the SL, how would you compare the two? I have carried my S to more than a few countries, but I'm thinking that the SL might be a little easier to schlep.
I had the SL, too. Great camera, small and light. But the lenses are almost as big as the S lenses, so the difference in weight for a kit is not that big. And although it still has the best EVF out there, I prefer the OVF.

I tried the S lenses on the SL with adapter. Works great, although a bit slow AF. But it makes it possible to transition to SL body and keep your S lenses, if you think that works better fot you.

Last edited:

erlingmm

@erlingmm and anyone else wanting a handheld MF camera for travel: IMO it would be quite a mistake to preorder an S3 without considering GFX 50R.

Kirk
Looks interesting. Leaf shutter? OVF? ISO? Ergonomics (small body, heavy lenses)?

For me, personally, it would cost more to change system, than to upgrade to S3 - I have all the lenses I need in the S system.

Last edited:

Neimad

Yes, i understand there are people who have had good experiences but personally I have not. The S, well that was a disaster in the end, and the M has gone back many times for many reasons and the turn around has been very slow. They replaced the sensor free of charge on more than one occasion only because they had to. They can market it as "good will" to sound like they give a damn but the reason it finished is because their legal obligation to offer it had finished.

In 30 years of taking pictures I've not had such problems with other brands.
My MM had the sensor corroded and it was replaced overnight by Leica USA. Excellent customer service.
My S2 has a corroded sensor and Leica USA is asking me to pay $8,000 for a refurbished S007
This is very frustrating that a camera I paid $20K+ 6 year ago is now a brick because of a design/manufacturing defect.
M users were making a lot of noise on forums and social media about the corroded sensor. This is why Leica had to offer a fair solution. Otherwise their reputation would have been deteriorated.
Unfortunately, S users are much more quiet and as a result, Leica believe that they will accept anything.

I'm now waiting for the Sigma Foveon Full Frame L-Mount Body to continue to use my S lenses (35, 70 and 120mm)
This will be a temporary solution while I'm moving to another Medium Format System.

Neimad

Kirk
I'm actually looking for the GFX 50R with the new 50mm pancake. This will be a very good documentary and travel camera.
Too bad that the 50mm is not available at launch. It would have made a perfect kit with the 50R.

I used the X1D and it's definitely much better than the S in term of portability and for handheld MF (no vibration).
The design of the body and the sensor of the X1D are extremely good but all the rest is far beyond the S (Viewfinder, reactivity, stability, heat management ...).
I will be very interested too see a detailed review between the X1D and the GFX50R.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My MM had the sensor corroded and it was replaced overnight by Leica USA. Excellent customer service.
My S2 has a corroded sensor and Leica USA is asking me to pay $8,000 for a refurbished S007
This is very frustrating that a camera I paid $20K+ 6 year ago is now a brick because of a design/manufacturing defect.
M users were making a lot of noise on forums and social media about the corroded sensor. This is why Leica had to offer a fair solution. Otherwise their reputation would have been deteriorated.
Unfortunately, S users are much more quiet and as a result, Leica believe that they will accept anything.

I'm now waiting for the Sigma Foveon Full Frame L-Mount Body to continue to use my S lenses (35, 70 and 120mm)
This will be a temporary solution while I'm moving to another Medium Format System.
S users are anything but quiet and ,in my experience ,have some influence with their dealers . I sympathize with your poor luck ...as had your S2 been within the 5 year window ..it would have been covered . I just had the sensor in my S 006 replaced (under warranty )(took about 5-6 weeks in total ) .

I also have a S 007 which has been perfect now for two years . It really depends if you enjoy your S system and want to continue with it . Getting another 4 years out of a S 007 seems like a good bet ,,if the camera is worth $3-4K after that you have no more than $1500 year in depreciation . Can you do better with a Fuji or HB ?

Now if you prefer the Fuji or HB that is a different decision .

I do appreciate how you must feel ..believe me not all my repairs have gone smoothly .