The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S3

dave.gt

Mat,

I'm on the fence. I wasn't expecting to be so impressed, as I've never felt the lack of resolution. I would still be using the S(006) if I hadn't dropped mine and gotten a great upgrade deal on the damaged body. My *only* complaint with the S system is its weight - and perhaps that means it's time for some diet and exercise on my part. :ROTFL:

Best,

Matt
My only complaint is that I have never even held a Leica S... period!:(
After shooting many Leica cameras over the years, it is one of those exotic unobtainuum cameras that seem to be in a parallel universe. They don't seem to exist in my part of the world.

I do hope to see a lot of images posted here soon!:thumbup:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My only complaint is that I have never even held a Leica S... period!:(
After shooting many Leica cameras over the years, it is one of those exotic unobtainuum cameras that seem to be in a parallel universe. They don't seem to exist in my part of the world.

I do hope to see a lot of images posted here soon!:thumbup:
Try to avoid it! It was the first camera I picked up that I couldn't put down. I was shaking my hand and it stuck like glue. The salesperson was quite alarmed... It was still a few years before I got one (used w/warranty).

There are certainly more detailed systems out there. The ancient IQ160 with tech camera lenses was amazing! If I worked mostly from a tripod, the S wouldn't be my first choice. But for ergonomics, for me, nothing comes close.

--Matt

Last edited:

DB5

I might just put aside my Leica S disasters and consider the S3. I'm not sure, the scars and rawness are still there but it's a camera I want to love. Damn you Leica. But at the rumoured $28K, no chance. Not worth the gamble after the hit I took on getting out last time. Leica needs to earn back trust somehow and it will also be very hard for this to compete with the Fuji and Hasselblad 100MP models.

M

mjr

There are some limitations with the S for sure, but I think it's the camera I liked more than any other, and what it does, it does amazingly well. The viewfinder, ergonomics, simplicity, it's very hard to beat. My GFX is easier to shoot for sure, moveable af point, tilting screen, come to love those things but I'd still have an S again I'm sure of it.

I hope you get one Matt and we get to see what it does!

Mat

Played with one today. Physically indistinguishable from the 007, but sensor much better than current ~50MP crowd. Will it stand out amongst the other next gen samples? I don’t know. But Leica aren’t playing catch-up here.

Matt
Hi Matt,

Does the S3 also shoot at 24 mpx resolution? I heard that the binning is possible with the new sensor.

Yevgeny