The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the SK 120/5.6 M Apo-Digitar the same as the 120/5.6 Macro-Symmar?

Long story short: mistakenly purchased the 'wrong' lens because the listing read 'Schneider 120mm f5.6 MAKRO-SYMMAR HM MC AKA APO-DIGITAR M Copal 0'. Want the latter (for DB), but the lens itself is the former. Seller insists the lens is identical (only the ASPH version differs), but simply with different markings on the barrel.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Edit: found a FS listing on here from 2 years ago that seems to follow a similar line of thought:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...-mm-apo-digitar-m-copal-0-mint-condition.html

--

Will be using with IQ3 80 until next year, when it will be used with the IQ4 100T or 150 back.

JeRuFo

I think that might be true. A lot of digitars are rebranded existing lenses.
There might be a difference in coatings etc.?

If it is true you won't be running out of image circle quickly. I have shot with the Macro-Symmar on 5x7 in the past.

SK's lens specification sheet has the Digitar's effective focal length coming in at 0.3mm longer. I assume that suggests different innards?

TimoK

I don't believe they are the same lenses. Apo-Digitars are rebranded Componons not Symmars, if I know.
As mentioned Macro-Symmar HM has huge image circle, 250mm at 1:1 and 55 degrees coverage according to Schneider's old paper. My apo-digitar 5,6/120 m (printed with small letters in lens barrel) has very limited IC.
There is a little data at Linhof Studio's site: http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Schneider-Digital-Lens Newer lens than my one but image circle in the same class.
If I can read in picture theres 26 degrees printed in the lens barrel.
btw HM is for "high modulation", the lens is improved from older macro-symmars.

f8orbust

In this thread on photomacrography.net, someone reports that they own both, and though similar in performance there is a slight difference in the spacing of the front and rear groups.