The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 WIFI tethering

jagsiva

I have always tethered via USB to my laptop and WIFI to Capture Pilot on iPad. Just wondering if I can connect my laptop (MacBook pro) via WIFI. This would, of course be with C1Pro as Capture Pilot is only for IOS. I cannot seem to get it working so far.

Also, is there no IQ3 manual on the Phase site????

Thanks in advance.

Paul2660

WiFi tethering is IQ4 only. With the IQ3, you still have to hard cable to tether, or use Capture Pilot, which IMO with the IQ3 wifi connection wise much better and solid. However the ability to zoom into 100% on the iPhone or iPad has never been addressed so that you can't really get a good idea of critical focus like you can with a tethered Live View.

Looks like P1 figured out how to do a few things with the IQ4 that were not possible with the IQ3, Live Histogram, true focus peaking in Live View and the Wifi tethering.

Paul C

jagsiva

Thanks guys. Looks like it'll have to be a USB cable for now. Just wish they had a Capture Pilot version over WIFI for OSX.

f8orbust

Looks like P1 figured out how to do a few things with the IQ4 that were not possible with the IQ3, Live Histogram, true focus peaking in Live View and the Wifi tethering...
With a bit of effort I'd imagine the first two could be implemented on the IQ3 via a firmware update ... but it would of course reduce the incentive to upgrade ... which I guess is one reason why - with the rare exception - P1's history of firmware updates over the years is fairly forgettable.

Paul2660

With a bit of effort I'd imagine the first two could be implemented on the IQ3 via a firmware update ... but it would of course reduce the incentive to upgrade ... which I guess is one reason why - with the rare exception - P1's history of firmware updates over the years is fairly forgettable.
I fully agree. Was told the processor in the IQ3 could not handle focus peaking.
Strange however other brands can handle it on the even older 50mp chip. And possibly Hasselblad on their 100mp camera. Don’t know the specs of that.

Paul C

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
However the ability to zoom into 100% on the iPhone or iPad has never been addressed so that you can't really get a good idea of critical focus like you can with a tethered Live View.

Paul C
Puzzled by this, as I double tap my iPhone screen which zooms to 100%, and focus with no problem. When using my tech camera, I do all focusing with an iPhone and Capture Pilot. The frame rate is a little slow so its a little challenging, but not bad and compared to the frame rate of the IQ180 it’s very useable.

Paul2660

Hi Wayne, I should have qualified my statement. I have not tried Capture Pilot in over a year, and last time I did, I was using an older iPad and iPhone 6+.

Neither, even with "respect retina" resolution one, would give me a good sharp view at 100%, at least not as clear as the LCD on the camera back.

I have newer iOS devices and will try them next time I am out. The phone is not as important to me as the ipad as I would prefer the larger screen. iPad is a 10.5" pro, from earlier this year. iPhone is an X, soon to be the Xs Max.

The other issue was time, both in loading in the images to Capture Pilot and time it took to go from normal view to 100%, on the devices I mentioned, it took a long time, 10 to 15 seconds to get a 100% view and the file loading, well that just seems to get more and more wonky with a large card 64GB or 128GB, especially the latter and I mainly use the 128s now. With around 500 images on a card it always seemed to load in all of them each time and took way too long.

But will try again as I would like to use the iPad.

Paul C

Paul2660

Well the problem might be that the IQ3 processors is the same as in the IQ180 series?

Probably right, but at the cost point of the upgrade, from IQ3100 only 2.3 years old, it's more than I can justify. Don't my tech camera anymore, and 150MP will over strain LR and CC with many layers in 16 bit causing PSB saves, which I also don't prefer.

If the upgrade price was more in line (since 2008, P45+, 160, 260 (would like that one back) and IQ3100).

Too bad P1 can't just upgrade the 100MP backs for a fee to give the necessary processing power.

Paul C

vjbelle

Puzzled by this, as I double tap my iPhone screen which zooms to 100%, and focus with no problem. When using my tech camera, I do all focusing with an iPhone and Capture Pilot. The frame rate is a little slow so its a little challenging, but not bad and compared to the frame rate of the IQ180 it’s very useable.
Agree..... 100% pixels is how I used my iPhone with Capture Pilot to check focus while in Lofoten. Worked very well.

AgoPaul2660
Re: IQ3 WIFI tethering

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Well the problem might be that the IQ3 processors is the same as in the IQ180 series?

Probably right, but at the cost point of the upgrade, from IQ3100 only 2.3 years old, it's more than I can justify. Don't my tech camera anymore, and 150MP will over strain LR and CC with many layers in 16 bit causing PSB saves, which I also don't prefer.

If the upgrade price was more in line (since 2008, P45+, 160, 260 (would like that one back) and IQ3100).

Too bad P1 can't just upgrade the 100MP backs for a fee to give the necessary processing power.

Agree Paul..... I need a Phase back for Wide shifting and that's about it. I can't get that with my GFX since I'm limited to 72mm for shifting. Of course I can always pan but rise is the big issue for me.

Victor

f8orbust

I'd be surprised if they're identical - separated by 5 years after all - but regardless, a live histogram and focus peaking in live view are relatively trivial programming tasks, and a good coder could more than make up for any performance 'deficiencies' in the IQ3 hardware.

Paul2660

Wayne, I wanted to correct my post, it's been sometime since I used Capture Pilot on the 3100.

You are right, on the Live View, it does zoom to 100%, actually appears to be 200% and I had to two finger pinch it back a bit. It's pretty responsive also, taking only about 3 to 4 seconds to refresh. Brightness is OK, once you zoom in as the screen does change to a bright view for the darker areas of the image.

I had been thinking of the playback, and to be honest, it's still pretty terrible. Images once zoomed in are very slow to paint into a view that will allow you to check focus, and it seems to get worse the more images that are taken. The view is better, once it moves from a blur to the focused view, it just takes too long, 15 to 20 seconds to get focus on a iPhone x sized view at 100% (again on playback). Did not try it on the iPad, but on the iPhone X.

But the ability to focus check in Live View is a big plus and it does run in a very quick manner.

Paul C

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I had been thinking of the playback, and to be honest, it's still pretty terrible. Images once zoomed in are very slow to paint into a view that will allow you to check focus, and it seems to get worse the more images that are taken. The view is better, once it moves from a blur to the focused view, it just takes too long, 15 to 20 seconds to get focus on a iPhone x sized view at 100% (again on playback). Did not try it on the iPad, but on the iPhone X.
yeah, playback is slow I tend to review the image on the back itself after taking the shot, and other times. I usually just use capture pilot for focusing and to trigger exposure, and to control all settings of the camera (other than f-stop when using my tech). However, I don’t see the image going to 200%, seems to be 100% to me. Haven’t ever really checked it though. Have to play with it more and see.

jagsiva

Anyone why:

1. There is no Capture Pilot for OSX?
2 Just have simple support for C1P over WIFI?

Both seem like simple solutions that give users a lot of flexibility. For me, using the laptop would mean one less device, batteries chargers etc.

Paul2660

WiFi tethered is supported with the IQ4. I assume it’s not on the older backs due to processing speeds on the back. Appears the Iq4 has a big step up in processing speed. Possible zero latency on power up for the first time or at least much less than 10 to 12 seconds with a larger card of the 3100.

Paul C