The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX-50R Bundle Deals

cabbage

I am seriously considering the Fuji now. I was going to wait for the pancake lens to come out before making my mind up but this bundle discount is incredible.

I assume they are trying to capture as much of the market as possible to choke out the competition (X1D). They also have to be keeping Fuji shooters who were thinking full frame from putting a different camera in their bag and stay with Fuji.

First world problems.

Paul2660

Amazing deals. For anyone who was wondering why Phase One decided to abandon the cropped medium format sensor market, these deals should answer your question. Nobody can compete with Fuji on price, or for that matter on the range of features. You have to compete by offering something that is distinct from what Fuji is offering. I am very curious to see how Hasselblad responds, which is really a question of how DJI responds. Hasselblad itself has not been all that much of a competitive force in recent years, but DJI is something else, and in many ways the drone market is far more complex technologically than the camera market. Does anyone even buy a drone not made by DJI?
DJI does control the lions stare of the market, but they have a long way to go for both product support (fixes to existing issues) and customer support, the later of which has to be the worst I have ever worked with, basically non-existent. There is is no way to open a tech question, with a ticket number, instead you have to open a forum question on the DJI forum. However the DJI representatives, answer with basic answers, usually which are unrelated to the market. DJI has no US tech support, just opened a California repair center but there is no way to call them directly. Lots of products, that need support which understandably requires a pretty high overhead, but so far, its apparent the investment has not been made there.

DJI store is great, unless you get a damaged, or lost shipment. Good luck fixing that.

Hopefully Hasselblad doesn't move to this model, and keep up their high quality level of support.

Paul C

iiiNelson

DJI does control the lions stare of the market, but they have a long way to go for both product support (fixes to existing issues) and customer support, the later of which has to be the worst I have ever worked with, basically non-existent. There is is no way to open a tech question, with a ticket number, instead you have to open a forum question on the DJI forum. However the DJI representatives, answer with basic answers, usually which are unrelated to the market. DJI has no US tech support, just opened a California repair center but there is no way to call them directly. Lots of products, that need support which understandably requires a pretty high overhead, but so far, its apparent the investment has not been made there.

DJI store is great, unless you get a damaged, or lost shipment. Good luck fixing that.

Hopefully Hasselblad doesn't move to this model, and keep up their high quality level of support.

Paul C
There are actually some commercial drone vendors stateside that service DJI products out of warranty. I’ve used a company out of Raleigh a few years back to have a mapping drone repaired for a company I used to work for. They did work on and sold DJI, Yuneec, 3DRobotics, and a few other drones but depending on the age of the drone it often was cheaper just to buy a new one and sell the old one for parts.

Paul2660

There are actually some commercial drone vendors stateside that service DJI products out of warranty. I’ve used a company out of Raleigh a few years back to have a mapping drone repaired for a company I used to work for. They did work on and sold DJI, Yuneec, 3DRobotics, and a few other drones but depending on the age of the drone it often was cheaper just to buy a new one and sell the old one for parts.
Yes, I agree once out of warranty, there are many US firms that will do work for usually less than DJI, with DJI parts and I have used them.

It's the new products that are problematic, as DJI tries to keep adding new and better/cooler stuff, they are getting bogged down with QA issues.

Examples:

P4Vr 2.0, still has flight stability issues (at least the first round of shipments due, looks like DJI fixed issue with a under the cover EC change to later drones), since 06/15/18. Still reports of battery failures and or dropping out of the drone.

Mavic Pro 2, issues with firmware updates, issues with the camera (the Hasselblad designed one), stability issues, battery issues, lens issues where image is not sharp due to de-center lens, Huge issue with lens distortion in the high quality video settings due to barrel distortion inability to correct in camera/drone which requires post processing barrel distortion fix in software.

There is a lot of hype on the latest released MP2, all the Hasselblad tech built in, net if it's really there, it's over rated.

Paul C

fmueller

All I can say is that the sensor in the GFX 50S is phenomenal with loads of headroom to push around the file if needed.

Just coming from the Sony A7's and the interface on the Fuji is like a breath of fresh air.

Get one.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I can say is that the sensor in the GFX 50S is phenomenal with loads of headroom to push around the file if needed.

Just coming from the Sony A7's and the interface on the Fuji is like a breath of fresh air.

Get one.
I dumped all my Sony gear when I transitioned to the GFX50S. I haven't regretted it for even an instant.

cabbage

Bundle deals are gone and expected to not be honored. Bummer, I was going to order this morning. Now I’ll just wait and see what the future brings.

tcdeveau

Won't it be odd to have systems that do essentially the same thing?

I mean the 65mm is what $2800? This is still $6000.

Just curious as to your though process.
My thought process. Aside from just seeing a crazy deal and wanting to get an order in and sorting it out later (and being a member of GetDPI, which by itself may mean I frequently toss logic out the window regarding gear choices):

My interest in the GFX system primarily lies in 110 f2, 250mm, and upcoming 100-200mm, for which there are currently no native HB X-system equivalents.

The 65mm XCD is $2750, the 50R package was $6000. I’d sell the 45mm GF because I don’t need it which would bring the package price down closer to $5k. I’ve found I don’t use my 30mm XCD that much (it only has 276 actuations) since I received the 21mm XCD, and id sell it, which would pretty much zero the GFX50R package assuming I cancel my 65mm XCD order. That would leave me with a hodgepodge collection of: X1D and 21/45/90mm primes, GFX50R with 32-64/63mm.

Currently the only native X-system options for longer-than-90mm are the 120 macro at $4500 and the new 135mm (which id get with TC) at $4850. I could presumably pick up a 110mm f2 AND 100-200mm GF for equal or less than the cost of the 135mm XCD. This would give me more versatility that the 135mm plus TC and would fit my needs better. If I ever wanted a macro, the 120 GF macro is half the price of the 120mm XCD. I’m trying to stick with native lenses btw.

Anyway, that’s my thought process. That would give two complimentary systems with all sorts of lens options for needs/uses. Also, the grip of the X1D limits it compatibility with Alpa SB17 lenses and the STC. If Alpa were to release a GFX Adapter, the GFX 50R would presumably be more compatible with my Alpa setup as it lacks the physical limitations (large protruding grip) of the X1D.

That being said, placing the order for the package was more just seeing a crazy deal and a knee-jerk reaction of answering Dante’s call. BH won’t charge my card until it ships, which could be months from now, so I have time to decide if I even want to keep the order. Not even sure they’d honor it at this point anyway because it is looking like a pricing glitch.

Last edited:

msadat

amazing prices, it makes very tempted to get one these 50r with bunch of lenses. I am now definitely thinking about it. its too bad that won't make af work with the h lenses.

atanabe

amazing prices, it makes very tempted to get one these 50r with bunch of lenses. I am now definitely thinking about it. its too bad that won't make af work with the h lenses.
I tried it with my 100 2.2 and all the other functions work, LS, aperture, maybe just a bit of time before they turn on AF? All the connections are there :)

Shashin

My thought process. Aside from just seeing a crazy deal and wanting to get an order in and sorting it out later (and being a member of GetDPI, which by itself may mean I frequently toss logic out the window regarding gear choices):
What do you mean? What logic is being tossed out? You have a cat. And a very detailed cat. It seems to be covered with a high-frequency linear pattern. Obviously, you need the gear to be able to render that--a problem only money can solve.

drevil

Staff member
Mavic Pro 2, issues with firmware updates, issues with the camera (the Hasselblad designed one), stability issues, battery issues, lens issues where image is not sharp due to de-center lens, Huge issue with lens distortion in the high quality video settings due to barrel distortion inability to correct in camera/drone which requires post processing barrel distortion fix in software.

There is a lot of hype on the latest released MP2, all the Hasselblad tech built in, net if it's really there, it's over rated.

Paul C

i also lost my M2P due to a software issue(i assume) will not go into details as its hugely off topic, but you can open a support case on the website and i am in talks with DJI now, to find a solution as the reason for the crash was in my opinion, not my fault.

algrove

Back to GFX bundle deals have any found local stores other than B&H, Adorama etc offering these same deals?