The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware for Phase One SK LS blue ring lenses

tashley

Subscriber Member
Please don't shame me for not knowing the answer to such a baby question (but if you can, imagine that you don't know the answer and try Googling to find it!)

I have just done a FW update for my XF body with IQ3 100 back as a system FW update but there is no mention of if, and if yes, how, lens FW updates should be found and applied..

Gosh I feel ignorant....

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Tim,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can name two places to call in the US without thinking. Digital Transitions and Capture Integration. There must be similarly expert dealers in your neck of the woods. Give them a call!

Best,

Matt

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can name two places to call in the US without thinking. Digital Transitions and Capture Integration. There must be similarly expert dealers in your neck of the woods. Give them a call!

Best,

Matt
I can't stand the shame of asking my dealer....

tashley

Subscriber Member
Digital Transitions said that there is usually no lens firmware update.

M
Thank you so much! Do you also offer 24 hour nursing support? :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Though 'usually' sounds like a slightly weasel word on their part?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well, if I'd given them the owner's name, address, and firmware version, they might have had more information. I was trying to spare you the indignity. :ROTFL:

M

tashley

Subscriber Member
Well, if I'd given them the owner's name, address, and firmware version, they might have had more information. I was trying to spare you the indignity. :ROTFL:

M
Thank God this is just a private conversation between you and me - I'd hate for anyone else to see my ignorance so publicly displayed. Oh. Hang on...

algrove

Tim
On your Phase profile all your Phase gear is listed and that inidicates FW updates as well as C1 updates. Look there.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim
On your Phase profile all your Phase gear is listed and that inidicates FW updates as well as C1 updates. Look there.
Actually I did. There was a system update for both back and body in one package, but there is no mention anywhere at all of lens FW.

algrove

Then you should be good, but somehow I am wondering if you are having issues with a particular lens.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Then you should be good, but somehow I am wondering if you are having issues with a particular lens.
Not particularly. My LS120 seems a little erratic when using the front and rear dials to control micro focus shifts when stacking but it's very hard to tell, so I thought I'd see if there was a FW update. The bizarre thing is that most modern lenses come with clear paths to FW updates but there is no mention on this anywhere that I can find on Phase One's site. Also, though I do indeed have lost of registered equipment when I log on to the Phase One site, there is no indication of which pieces have FW updates available.You have to navigate out of that area and into Support>FW Updates & Archive and nowhere is there a mention of lens FW.

med

Not particularly. My LS120 seems a little erratic when using the front and rear dials to control micro focus shifts when stacking but it's very hard to tell, so I thought I'd see if there was a FW update. The bizarre thing is that most modern lenses come with clear paths to FW updates but there is no mention on this anywhere that I can find on Phase One's site. Also, though I do indeed have lost of registered equipment when I log on to the Phase One site, there is no indication of which pieces have FW updates available.You have to navigate out of that area and into Support>FW Updates & Archive and nowhere is there a mention of lens FW.
My almost brand new BR 120 Macro is with Phase now getting its shutter replaced. When it comes back I can check the FW version... should tell us what the latest version is.

Have you opened a support case with Phase?

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Phase One 80D, early in its availability, received a firmware update that users could install.

Otherwise no Phase One D, Schneider LS, or Schneider LS Blue Ring lens has received any firmware update that a user could/should install.

There have been a few minor revisions to the lens firmware over the years, so if you dig deep and compare to lenses of the same model you may find slight differences in the firmware number. But this relates to the production timeframe and slight changes to the shutter in the lens over the years. It is not something the user can or should change in a particular lens.

So, in short, you don't need to worry about lens firmware (other than if you have an early Phase One 80D).

I know you're all (mostly) joking about being embarrassed to contact your Phase One Partner (aka dealer), but it's worth noting that, at least at DT, we absolutely operate under the "there are no stupid questions" premise. It is literally our job to help you with any Phase One related question you may have, big or small, and we are very happy to do so. I suspect most other Phase One Partners feel the same way.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Doug - you are very kind and that is the comprehensive answer I wanted. I really like the US model of customer focussed dealer relationships...

The Phase One 80D, early in its availability, received a firmware update that users could install.

Otherwise no Phase One D, Schneider LS, or Schneider LS Blue Ring lens has received any firmware update that a user could/should install.

There have been a few minor revisions to the lens firmware over the years, so if you dig deep and compare to lenses of the same model you may find slight differences in the firmware number. But this relates to the production timeframe and slight changes to the shutter in the lens over the years. It is not something the user can or should change in a particular lens.

So, in short, you don't need to worry about lens firmware (other than if you have an early Phase One 80D).

I know you're all (mostly) joking about being embarrassed to contact your Phase One Partner (aka dealer), but it's worth noting that, at least at DT, we absolutely operate under the "there are no stupid questions" premise. It is literally our job to help you with any Phase One related question you may have, big or small, and we are very happy to do so. I suspect most other Phase One Partners feel the same way.