The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon FD on X1D (or GFX)

danlindberg

Hi guys, saw that Novoflex, among others, offer a Canon FD lens adapter to X1D. I wonder if anyone has tried a wide FD with this size sensor? I have a few FD lenses left (FDn20/2.8 • FDn35/2.0 • FDn50/1.4 • FDn85/1.2).

Do you think I could get reasonable results with the FDn20/2.8 and the Hassy? Can I check image circle somewhere for various lenses? I'd like to know which of the 24mm I should be on the lookout for - FDn 24/1.4 or 2.0 or 2.8?

Stuart Richardson

Hi guys, saw that Novoflex, among others, offer a Canon FD lens adapter to X1D. I wonder if anyone has tried a wide FD with this size sensor? I have a few FD lenses left (FDn20/2.8 • FDn35/2.0 • FDn50/1.4 • FDn85/1.2).

Do you think I could get reasonable results with the FDn20/2.8 and the Hassy? Can I check image circle somewhere for various lenses? I'd like to know which of the 24mm I should be on the lookout for - FDn 24/1.4 or 2.0 or 2.8?
Just as a reference, I tried my FD lenses on the Sony A7 series cameras when I got one, and they did not hold up very well...and I had some of the better lenses... 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L, 24 f2 and 35mm f2. It could be an issue of the A7 sensor, but my guess is that they are not going to perform quite so well as you might hope.

Abstraction

I'm thinking the FD lenses would perform better on the GFX than on Sony a7rII because the pixel pitch on the GFX is greater than it is on the Sony, so the lenses don't have to resolve as much. That's not to say that they will be on par with the nativelenses or even that you're going to find their performance acceptable, but whatever the result was with the Sony, you can expect something a bit better.

JoelM

Canon FD lenses perform quite well on my a7rII. I only have the 50mm and 20-35mm, but they are outstanding.

Joel

danlindberg

Thanks guys for your input! I just ordered the adapter so I let you know if it is useless or reasonably ok! It's inexpensive so I just chance it.

danlindberg

It just arrived :clap: Going for a walk......and I have never ever had something this small and light and medium format :p

danlindberg

This is promising! All handheld on a very overcast day. Canon FDn 35/2

First one wide open at f2. Lensprofile FD 28 that worked nicely, still remains some vignetting though at f2.

Second is f8.

And lastly an f5.6 and closeup.

danlindberg

An example from the FDn 50/1.4 @ f5.6, handheld iso 800. No sharpening. Applied lens profile and cropped away
10%.

PeterA

Good to see a use found for old lenses Dan. These Sony chipped XID/GFX cameras are great 'lens horses'.

atb
Pete

gurtch

Thank you Dan for the info and samples. I ordered a GFX 50R and only one native lens (32-64mm). I have a shelf full of old 35mm film cameras and lenses in my collection (you name it, I probably have it). It might be fun to play with some of them via an adapter,,,,,but where did you get lens profiles for old lenses? I do have adapters to use them on my A7RII, but I have never used a lens profile, except native lenses which are supported by DxO Optics Pro software.
Again, thanks for the very useful info.
Dave in NJ

danlindberg

Thanks Dave, it's fun to shoot with old lenses and I am enjoying using my Canon FD lenses now on the X1D.

If I go the simple route and open up a X1D raw file in Camera RAW in Photoshop, then there are plenty of profiles available. For FD lenses there are only FD 28, FD 50 and FD 135, but the fun part is to try many different ones to try and find a suitable one....:)