The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12 Plus Announcement

Gerd

"When your rear wheel overtakes you, you know that you're sitting in a lotus."

Graham Hill

Greeting Gerd

f8orbust

Looks nice, but the cheap plastic knobs ruin the outift ...
Yeah, as others have said - there's plastic, and then there's plastic - and the dials on the Alpa are absolutely top notch, with brass inserts that make them even more of a joy to use.

As far as the Alpa 12 Plus is concerned, I still prefer the plain old vanilla Alpa 12. Why ? i) just seems a cleaner overall design without all the corners of the Plus, and ii) there's hardly any real daylight between the functionality of one over the functionality of the other.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I love my Cambo and would agree that CNC machining with any of these manufacturers is superb. However, having owned Alpa’s for many years, I have to say that the Alpa/Seitz industrial design and attention to detail such as ball bearing detents, brass rails etc etc really is a level above the competition, albeit it’s a very subtle difference. However, it does come at a cost, even with the plastic and 3D printed parts like lens hoods.

If you absolutely want the best though, there is basically nobody better than Alpa. :thumbs: (And yes, I’m biased).

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I love my Cambo and would agree that CNC machining with any of these manufacturers is superb. However, having owned Alpa’s for many years, I have to say that the Alpa/Seitz industrial design and attention to detail such as ball bearing detents, brass rails etc etc really is a level above the competition, albeit it’s a very subtle difference. However, it does come at a cost, even with the plastic and 3D printed parts like lens hoods.

If you absolutely want the best though, there is basically nobody better than Alpa. :thumbs: (And yes, I’m biased).
:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Am I biased too ? ? ?

PeterA

What you are actually saying is that you really like the quality of the anodising and the carefully chosen material quality and presentation of the fasteners used to make these baubles yeah? Nothing wrong qith that - it is male jewelry like those Swiss watches we all buy and wear - which cant match the time accuracy of an Iphone . It isnt about real 'functionality' or amenity or even utility really is it? It is about the 'look' it is all about the 'look'...

have to dash off now because I am going to fondle a Leica M10-D have been waiting for years for the re-introduction of a film advance lever on a digital camera.....:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Peter,

Yes you nailed it. I’m not too proud to admit that I like quality things. Heck I wear an IWC Portugueser or Omega Seamaster - neither of which are as accurate as my iWatch but I don’t care.

And the M10 D is on my radar for no rational reason other than I want one.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Back on topic. What’s not to like about a more compact Alpa Max. When I had one, the size / form factor was a pain to fit in a bag. The new body looks easier to fit. :thumbup:

PeterA

Peter,

Yes you you nailed it. I’m not too proud to admit that I like quality things. Heck I wear an IWC Portugueser or Omega Seamaster - neither of which are as accurate as my iWatch but I don’t care.

And the M10 D is on my radar for no rational reason other than I want one.
Totally agree with your perspective - not as if life is a dress rehearsal right?

gerald.d

I think the days of movements being a necessity for any kind of photography are at the end of their lifetime.

Victor
This is both a bizarre and willfully ignorant statement to come out with.

Had you said "most kinds...", then maybe you could argue the point.

But "any"?

Remarkable.

Every single photo (not including cell phone snaps of course) I have taken in the last couple of years has used tilt and swing and shift and rise/fall. Not just one of those - all of them. Every single shot.

Geoff

This is both a bizarre and willfully ignorant statement to come out with.

Had you said "most kinds...", then maybe you could argue the point.

But "any"?

Remarkable.

Every single photo (not including cell phone snaps of course) I have taken in the last couple of years has used tilt and swing and shift and rise/fall. Not just one of those - all of them. Every single shot.
There may be a misunderstanding here. The original statement is about movements in camera being a “necessity for any kind of photography”. It seems the point was that there are other answers available for all sorts of shots. And that may well be true. While my preference is for in-camera, time-of-shot alignments, it would be hard to argue that is the only way to work.

gerald.d

There may be a misunderstanding here. The original statement is about movements in camera being a “necessity for any kind of photography”. It seems the point was that there are other answers available for all sorts of shots. And that may well be true. While my preference is for in-camera, time-of-shot alignments, it would be hard to argue that is the only way to work.
On the contrary. It would be very easy to argue that for certain kinds of photography, using movements is the only way to deliver the desired image. MrSmith has already covered this to a large extent, and I'd be more than happy to share an image and challenge anyone to reproduce it without using movements.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yat

I believe , this ALPA 12 PLUS is mostly used from a tripod , therefore you will not need a handle .

Yes , indeed , I can not find a wooden handle yet but handle 040.888.110 will fit .
I have two of these handles and find them very catchy and comfortable .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
@yatlee

today I got information from ALPA , that there will be a set of special hand grips just for the
ALPA 12 PLUS in the near future . Therefore stay tuned .

My ALPA 12 PLUS will arrive by tomorrow . I am very excited .

yatlee

@yatlee

today I got information from ALPA , that there will be a set of special hand grips just for the
ALPA 12 PLUS in the near future . Therefore stay tuned .

My ALPA 12 PLUS will arrive by tomorrow . I am very excited .
Congrats!

I'm getting mine soon. Did you get a tripod mount with it? I was told there will be new tripod mount for 12 Plus, but it seems some of the existing one will fit.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
@Yat

My new toy arrived and is a fantastic piece of mechanical work . I love it .

No , the ALPA 12 PLUS came without the tripod mount , but ALPA will send me one for free in the next few days .
The ALPA MAX stitching adapter will work fine , but when you use a 17mm or 34mm swing/tilt adapter
with a 17 or 34 SB lens , the adapter body will interfere with tripod mount .
As an interim solution , you can turn the body around , so your tripod mount will be on the back .
ALPA is working on a separate ALPA 12 PLUS adapter .

yatlee

Given the missing stitching adapter (and I just sold my max), there is no rush for me to order.. Did they say how long it will take them to release the stitching adapter and grip?