The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 12 Plus Announcement

Steve Hendrix

Perhaps flying under the radar, Alpa today announced the new Alpa 12 Plus:

https://captureintegration.com/new-alpa-12-plus-at-photoplus-2018/

Capture Integration will be exhibiting in booth #1028 at PhotoPlus Expo starting 10am, October 25, 2018.

Among the items we will have in our booth will be a Phase One IQ4 150 and the just announced Alpa 12 Plus.

Please come by and say hello if you're attending the show. There is a link for free Expo passes at the bottom of the below link.

https://captureintegration.com/visit-us-at-photo-plus-2018-booth-1028/

Steve Hendrix/CI

stngoldberg

You’ve got to enjoy and applaud Steve’s salesmanship of the new Alpa “speed shift.”
While most users of technical cameras enjoy slowly contemplating the possibilities of art creation with shift and tilt, Steve 🎺 trumpets the seconds saved by shifting quickly.
Reminds me of my 1960 MGA, when I could speed shift, double clutch while down shifting and enjoy the sound of that muffler when I wound up that tiny but powerful engine.
Nevertheless, I must agree with a Steve that The Alpa is great looking, precision instrument 🎻.
Stanley

Steve Hendrix

You’ve got to enjoy and applaud Steve’s salesmanship of the new Alpa “speed shift.”
While most users of technical cameras enjoy slowly contemplating the possibilities of art creation with shift and tilt, Steve 🎺 trumpets the seconds saved by shifting quickly.
Reminds me of my 1960 MGA, when I could speed shift, double clutch while down shifting and enjoy the sound of that muffler when I wound up that tiny but powerful engine.
Nevertheless, I must agree with a Steve that The Alpa is great looking, precision instrument 🎻.
Stanley

I tend to have the voice of the Top Gear lads in mind when I'm writing.

And I do try to have fun when I write!

Regarding speed mode, I actually do get anxious when light is changing rapidly.

:)

Steve Hendrix/CI

RobbieAB

You might want to fix the SSL certificate. I know it's only a few hours out, but it's still not a good look...

captureintegration.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 24 October 2018, 06:01. The current time is 24 October 2018, 09:29.

Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

dchew

At ~1000 grams I'm interested. I've always wanted a Max but couldn't get over the size.

Dave

Steve Hendrix

Capture Integration will be exhibiting in booth #1028 at PhotoPlus Expo starting 10am, October 25, 2018.

Among the items we will have in our booth will be a Phase One IQ4 150 and the just announced Alpa 12 Plus.

Please come by and say hello if you're attending the show. There is a link for free Expo passes at the bottom of the below link.

https://captureintegration.com/visit-us-at-photo-plus-2018-booth-1028/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Website is back up:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
That ALPA 12 PLUS . How awesome . I don't need that camera . But I want it .
Dante is always present :banghead: and most successful .

narikin

At ~1000 grams I'm interested. I've always wanted a Max but couldn't get over the size.

Dave
The weight difference is minimal in the hand (I handled both up in a store yesterday)
It is smaller - right between the Max and STC, though it's partly due to cutting down the front rise, from 25 to 20mm. That's a shame imho, as front rise is #1 movement for most people, but maybe the trade off is worth it - ymmv!

Biggest shame is the lack of built in tilt, a la Cambo. That would have transformed this into a must have.

Oh, and it's about $7000 for the bare bones body ! Alpa never cease to amaze...

vjbelle

I think the days of movements being a necessity for any kind of photography are at the end of their lifetime.

Victor

stngoldberg

I think the days of movements being a necessity for any kind of photography are at the end of their lifetime.

Victor
Movements may not be a necessity, but in photographing images where objects are moving within the scene and focus stacking isn’t an option; TILT definitely adds a huge improvement to the final image.
I also find movements a extremely helpful tool preventing the appearance of leaning buildings etc.
Stanley

epforever

Victor
Can you elaborate? Are you saying this because one can tilt up and correct keystoning in post? Or because one can shoot extra wide and crop in post? I'd love to hear why movements are becoming obsolete.

dchew

Looks like a real monstrosity. What ever happened to SIMPLE ?
I don't understand, Doug. No buttons, switches, batteries, cords, viewfinder, lightmeter, focus mode, picture mode, A/S/M priority, custom functions or menu system. Doesn't even come with a manual. How many pages are there in the D850 manual? If I choose to shoot digital, that adds a whopping 5 buttons.

Don't get me wrong: I understand it is a whole lot less versatile than a D850, but it certainly checks the simplicity box.

Dave

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Movements may not be a necessity, but in photographing images where objects are moving within the scene and focus stacking isn’t an option; TILT definitely adds a huge improvement to the final image.
I also find movements a extremely helpful tool preventing the appearance of leaning buildings etc.
Stanley
I agree. Also, I find that in general when I shoot focus stack sets (or exposure blends) those end up being the images that I seldom get around to processing later and end up going for those shots taken as single images.

For me, tilt and especially rise & fall, are movements that I use extensively. I know that we have lots of pixels to crop these days but I do prefer getting a straight shot vs shooting wider to handle rise/fall/subject tilt/keystone, and similarly near/far focus in a single image.

danlindberg

There is something beautiful about seeing a RAW file which is all corrected for perspective.

The new Alpa body looks like a splendid evolution, I wouldn't mind...:D