The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old Sinar software

MMC

My aging Mac is unbearably slow to transfer data and a solution to just save the files from my Sinar back to DNG on Windows would be quite helpful (given that what is on the CompactFlash card is not usable except by the Sinar software). Years ago, Sinar was supposed to release their software program (more probably eXposure than Capture Shop) for Windows. I don't think it ever got past the beta, but I wonder if anyone ever got access to any beta version, and which backs it did support.

RobbieAB

An alternative option might be to look at DCRaw. I don't know which Sinar you have, but DCRaw claims to support some Sinar raw files.

TimoK

My aging Mac is unbearably slow to transfer data and a solution to just save the files from my Sinar back to DNG on Windows would be quite helpful (given that what is on the CompactFlash card is not usable except by the Sinar software). Years ago, Sinar was supposed to release their software program (more probably eXposure than Capture Shop) for Windows. I don't think it ever got past the beta, but I wonder if anyone ever got access to any beta version, and which backs it did support.
I recommend free RawTherapee. It's a great software to develop raw files. It can handle raw files of most camera models but naturally not all.
They have a list of known camera models with no samples. HY6 was only one Sinar model in that list. But maybe they don't know all Sinar models. If it happens to be your back, you could help developers and maybe you self too by sending a raw file to them. Look at https://discuss.pixls.us/t/raw-samples-wanted/5420 for instructions.
Manual for RawTherapee is called Rawpedia

MMC

An alternative option might be to look at DCRaw. I don't know which Sinar you have, but DCRaw claims to support some Sinar raw files.
I've got an eMotion 75LV, DCRaw does not support that. From what I can see, there are no real image files on the card (in the sense that quite a few raw formats are based on TIFF) but some strange system where everything is garbled (.BR files, .IA files, one .WR file) and only Sinar software can read the card and extract the photos from that garbled stuff... The old Brumbaer tools could convert the IA/BR files to DNG, but again they are Mac only, and discontinued a while ago - and AFAIK the author has not released any source code. Stephan Heß, the author of these tools, in not interesting in open-sourcing the code: "the Brumbaer-Tools project ended about 10 years ago. It does no longer hold any interest for me. So I will not invest time documenting, porting or making them available.".

Last edited:

MMC

I recommend free RawTherapee. It's a great software to develop raw files. It can handle raw files of most camera models but naturally not all.
They have a list of known camera models with no samples. HY6 was only one Sinar model in that list. But maybe they don't know all Sinar models. If it happens to be your back, you could help developers and maybe you self too by sending a raw file to them. Look at https://discuss.pixls.us/t/raw-samples-wanted/5420 for instructions.
Manual for RawTherapee is called Rawpedia
I'll try to send them sample photos using their method (provided there is enough light, all pictures at f/8, at each different ISO supported by the camera) but I'm not holding my breath. As much as the Leaf/Phase One IIQ format can be easy for them to decode (it's based on TIF), the IA/BR combination from the Sinarback will certainly be a challenge as I cannot find any documentation about it, anywhere...

MartinN

For Sinarbacks you need an Apple Mac. Why not upgrade your computer to a brand new or good used Mac ? The current and neat Software for Mac:s is Sinar Capture Flow that is available for free of charge to download from the Sinar website https://sinar.swiss/en/ by registering. This software should support older backs:

Sinarback S 30|45
Sinarback eXact
Sinarback eVolution 75H/86H
Sinarback eMotion 22, 54LV, 75, 75LV
Sinarback eSprit 65LV
System requirements / Minimum system requirements

Sinar CaptureFlow™ supports Apple Macintosh™ computers with Intel® processors
Operating system: Mac OS 10.10 or higher.
Processor: Intel Processor
Physical RAM: 8 GB
Hard disk space: 10 GB + space for capturing images
Mac OS: 10.10 or higher

MartinN

BTW I'm fond of Mac Mini:s that can be bought quite cheap used, likewise first generation Macbook Air:s that I eventually will aquire one.

eccwong

For Sinarbacks you need an Apple Mac. Why not upgrade your computer to a brand new or good used Mac ? The current and neat Software for Mac:s is Sinar Capture Flow that is available for free of charge to download from the Sinar website https://sinar.swiss/en/ by registering. This software should support older backs:
Need help from fellow 75LV user. My firmware is 5.11-33 and the date setting only goes to 2017. Is there any newer firmware available? Thanks

MartinN

Ashish65

I am also a Sinar eMotion 75 LV user, previously I used to read the compact flash card using Captureshop, but lately capture shop does not import the files, the little spectral circle keeps going round and round (overnight) ! no other software seems to be able to read Sinar files and the compatibility of Captureshop with later versions of OS (my computer uses Mojave 10.4) is perhaps the issue, please help.

thanks

Ashish

MartinN

I think Captureshop is older than Captureflow. Maybe Captureflow works better on newer Mac OS. But, sadly I believe that Mojave completely dropped support for older 32bit software. Myself I have an old Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6 for really old software and to say I never usually upgrade os just to be able to run my software without problems. Then I semi-retire the computer. My current Mac mini runs OS X Sierra 10.12 and I wont upgrade that because it now runs all my required software. If I really need Mojave in the future I probably get a separate mini for that but I wont upgrade Sierra. However what should be possible is to install a separate partition on your Mojave machine and on that partition install Sierra for example, or 10.8 which I remember had good support for Sinar software.