The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accidental Test of Fuji GFX50R

David Schneider

I went to the PhotoPlus Expo in New York City with the idea of handling the GFX50R. But when I got there I found that Fuji was loaning out medium format GFX50R cameras for the day and I got one! And I could keep the 16GB sd card they supplied! Since I've used Fuji X cameras since 2012 and use an "old" Hasselblad H3D2-39, I almost instinctively knew how the controls worked and the caveats to medium format, just needed to get use to where the controls were placed. Fortunately, Fuji generally has multiple ways of changing settings so it's not difficult to start using it without a manual or instruction.

I was walking out of the Javits Center to the street, and while trying to get familiar with the settings, I saw one of the most iconic, well known NYC photographers, Louis Mendes and his 1940's Speed Graphic. He's 78 and still earning a living taking photos on the street. He graciously allowed me to take a few images, (while I fumbled away with the GFX50R). I couldn't help but think of the evolution of cameras between his and mine. I've seen him several times over the years, but never had a camera with me.

For me, the GFX50R is a well done application of all the things that are wonderful, and I've come to expect, from a mirrorless camera into a reasonably sized medium format body. The body seems no larger than a high end dslr and the 32-64mm I also borrowed was much lighter than my Canon 70-200 f2.8II. It is great to be able to quickly manual focus or to have eye focus ability (which seems at least as good as my XT2, but didn't have it with me to compare). Nice to be able to pinch out on the screen to check focus of a shot or check in the EVF. I can see this easily replacing my Hassie in the studio and can even see it coming on an easy trip if I'm traveling by car; fine for, say, a drive through Loire Valley of France photographing chateaux, but not for trekking in Peru or Nepal. comp Louis Mendes.jpg

I found it a very enjoyable camera to use. Yes, it would be better with IBIS, maybe a stiffer diopter, but for US$4,500 it is fantastic. I can see it becoming my studio workhorse when the 100-200mm is available as it and the 32-64mm would cover me very well. But I might just get an adapter and use my four HC lenses until that happens.

JohnBrew

Most interesting. Have been considering X1D (even after their initial brush-off) - love the form factor, however the Fuji seemingly now offers much more bang for the buck.
I know this type of thing is hard but would love to see a test of the Fuji lens versus the Hassy. Can anyone point me to a site which has done comparisons? The Fuji lenses seem much larger and therefore more cumbersome. Happy to have this straightened out
At this point I think similar results (from MF to 35mm) could be obtained with a D850 and focus-stacking or bracketing or both.
Love to hear thoughts on this subject.
And thank you for any and all replies.

algrove

David
Thanks first of all. You hit that show on the right day and right time. I have used the XT-2 and assume transitioning to the 50R might have a shallow learning curve. It will be most interesting to see how street shooting with this camera compares to using the XT-2, Leica Q and Leica M10. I recall I had no problem using the 645Z on the street.

You converted the Louis Mendes shot to B&W with what software? Thanks.

Lou

gurtch

David: Does the camera have the ability to offer manual focus? I have Pentax 645 MF lenses, and I am considering getting the camera with the 32-64mm lens being offered as a kit. I have 35, 75, 150, 200, 300 (with the hard to find 1.4X matched extender), and 120 macro MF lenses. The 35mm I would sell, as the 32-64mm lens covers that. TIA
Dave in NJ

David Schneider

David: Does the camera have the ability to offer manual focus? I have Pentax 645 MF lenses, and I am considering getting the camera with the 32-64mm lens being offered as a kit. I have 35, 75, 150, 200, 300 (with the hard to find 1.4X matched extender), and 120 macro MF lenses. The 35mm I would sell, as the 32-64mm lens covers that. TIA
Dave in NJ
Manual focus is the same as other Fuji X cameras I've used since 2013. I did do some manual focusing with the 32-64mm. I changed the Peaking to Red-High and enlarged the image in EVF to fine tune, just like I've done with my other Fuji cameras. I tested this because I plan on using a Hasselblad HC 150mm with an adaptor on the GFX50R until the 100-200mm is available. I have Hasselblad HC 35, 100, 150 and 210 and I'm going to sell all, but the 150mm (for now) at low prices to fund the GFX50R, 32-64mm and 100-200 when it comes out.

vjbelle

Manual focus with the 50S is my 98% way of using my camera. It does take a little (very little) practice to become accustomed to the way the live view is displayed. There are some good practices described on Jim Kassens site which I've adopted and I can nail focus close to 100% of the time. As for using the camera as a walkabout it's easy if you're traveling with the lighter lenses. I have the 110mm and decided it would be difficult as it weighs almost 2.5 lbs and there is no 'is' so I leave it behind and only use my 63mm and 45mm. I really don't do that type of shooting often but there are some situations when traveling that can't lend themselves to a tripod and if the shot is wanted then hand holding is the only option.

Victor

algrove

I see Ace Photo in VA is having a studio test of the GFX 50R on 16 November. I can't make it, but someone should so that we can have your new input.

David Schneider

Manual focus with the 50S is my 98% way of using my camera. It does take a little (very little) practice to become accustomed to the way the live view is displayed. There are some good practices described on Jim Kassens site which I've adopted and I can nail focus close to 100% of the time.

Victor
Victor,

Tried to find that Jim Kassens site, but couldn't. Do you have a link? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.