The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpack and custom foam?

dave.gt

In another thread, the always-interesting discussion of custom foam was discussed and a question was asked about using the foam in an F-stop backpack. That caught my attention!

I am currently using my old Domke which is too small for even a small H5 kit like mine. It is sufficiently padded but crammed with the basic items. I have really liked the idea of an F-stop with ICU, but having never seen one other than online, I get the impression that padding is somewhat minimal for all the heavy Medium Format gear.

Am I correct in this presumption?

It seems that a custom foam option for the backpack would be possible but I don't know. The use of a hard case like the awesome Pelican is of no interest to me unless I am in mobile studio shoots where I can park close to my tripod setup. The usual shooting situation for me is a moderate hike and placing a backpack on the ground while using the camera on the tripod.

Has anyone worked out a foam solution in a backpack? Or is the ICU a good solution even with all the gear jostling and bumping together?

Christopher

A foam insert is certainly possible, but for my use (GFX, XF) not flexible enough. I much prefer to use the normal dividers and they work great. Never had problems with my Phase or Fuji gear.

jng

Dave,

You will see from Boinger's link above that, while foam would provide additional protection, it's not at all space efficient, which may be OK in a rolling Pelican case but less so when schlepping stuff on your back. You can certainly configure the dividers to give a pretty snug fit around big Hassy. And if you take a tumble big enough to damage your gear in your pack, your gear would be the last thing I'd be worrying about!

John

bab

I had three set ups in backpacks with foam, I loved it at first everything was so organized. Then it became apparent foam took up too much room, so a 35l backpack becomes a 25 l. I went back to dividers.

dave.gt

This is always great, receiving helpful advice based on experiences of members on this forum!:)

Another member PM'd me with this link:

https://atlaspacks.com/

It looks good, and dividers appear functional and flexible. Sigh... for now I will probably settle for a used F-stop after Christmas. The H5 with a single lens, two film backs, filters and various accessory requirements does not take up a huge amount of space, but, clearly, my old Domke is too small. Time to sell off some gear I no longer use to get a decent pack.

Frankly

Hey Dave, long time no see... there are a lot of companies offering laser cut foam to your tracing, you can also specify different densities of foam. For example: https://cobrafoaminserts.com a quick search will located dozens more.

I have an F-Stop Lotus 32l backpack with dividers and never felt like my gear was inadequately protected, especially if the pack is full so things aren't jostling around and bouncing. Much more than any old school Domke that's for sure! I have a couple of smaller F-stop bags as well, they are all good quality, comparable to Tenba, ThinkTank, Mindshift (owned them all) and everything else but maybe a little better design and build quality, they are all compromises and I eventually had to give up shopping.

I do worry about driving with the cameras in the car being subject to micro-vibrations over several years so I do try to keep the pack on the regular passenger seats (more foam there) and lay it on its back so forces are distributed over a wider area. If I were on a motorcycle I'd want to wear the pack so forces are further removed and that's a case where the foam insert would probably outperform the dividers.

Off topic the ultimate would be a Pelican case with a good backpack that could fit inside of it but then it becomes too small to be worthwhile unless you're a minimalist (or you'll never get it into carry-on luggage). My main concern is keeping the pack in the luggage bin and not being gate checked. With the F-Stop ICU you can, if pressured or in a puddle jumper, with great drama pull the ICU out of the larger pack and put the ICU at your underseat or up above... hand the flaccid shell of the backpack to the stewardii and rest assured your gear is close by.

It’s hard to travel sanely with good gear. I am seriously considering getting a #%£¥ zoom lens just for trips and saving space.

Last edited:

Boinger

Dave,

You will see from Boinger's link above that, while foam would provide additional protection, it's not at all space efficient, which may be OK in a rolling Pelican case but less so when schlepping stuff on your back. You can certainly configure the dividers to give a pretty snug fit around big Hassy. And if you take a tumble big enough to damage your gear in your pack, your gear would be the last thing I'd be worrying about!

John
Yeah this is what I ended up finding. On my recent trip to Australia I ended up going back to divders just so I could fit my Misc travel stuff in the bag. While the foam I am using is quite rigid so in theory I could make compartments. But then it just ends up being the same as dividers.

What I am currently working on is a hybrid system. Where I cut out a foam insert for a particular lens and stick that into the dividers of the backpack. So the lens can have padding but I can still be flexible.

So imagine if you will a foam cube with a lens hole.

dave.gt

Hey Dave, long time no see... there are a lot of companies offering laser cut foam to your tracing, you can also specify different densities of foam. For example: https://cobrafoaminserts.com a quick search will located dozens more.

I have an F-Stop Lotus 32l backpack with dividers and never felt like my gear was inadequately protected, especially if the pack is full so things aren't jostling around and bouncing. Much more than any old school Domke that's for sure! I have a couple of smaller F-stop bags as well, they are all good quality, comparable to Tenba, ThinkTank, Mindshift (owned them all) and everything else but maybe a little better design and build quality, they are all compromises and I eventually had to give up shopping.

I do worry about driving with the cameras in the car being subject to micro-vibrations over several years so I do try to keep the pack on the regular passenger seats (more foam there) and lay it on its back so forces are distributed over a wider area. If I were on a motorcycle I'd want to wear the pack so forces are further removed and that's a case where the foam insert would probably outperform the dividers.

Off topic the ultimate would be a Pelican case with a good backpack that could fit inside of it but then it becomes too small to be worthwhile unless you're a minimalist (or you'll never get it into carry-on luggage). My main concern is keeping the pack in the luggage bin and not being gate checked. With the F-Stop ICU you can, if pressured or in a puddle jumper, with great drama pull the ICU out of the larger pack and put the ICU at your underseat or up above... hand the flaccid shell of the backpack to the stewardii and rest assured your gear is close by.

It’s hard to travel sanely with good gear. I am seriously considering getting a #%£¥ zoom lens just for trips and saving space.
Hi, Frank!

It has been a very long time... funny how time seems to melt away. I have been somewhat pre-occupied, but somewhat productive. And then I turn around and see how much time has passed.

Your suggestions are excellent and I have not put much thought into vibrations over the long run. You have given me more to think about. Thanks!:)

jng

Dave,

Between spare dividers, wraps, lens cloths and even wash cloths, it's possible to pack your gear into an ICU (or equivalent) with more than sufficient protection from all but the worst insults. And unlike some of the exotic tech cam lenses, your Hassy is built like a tank, so with just a modicum of care you should be in fine shape.

John

dave.gt

Dave,

Between spare dividers, wraps, lens cloths and even wash cloths, it's possible to pack your gear into an ICU (or equivalent) with more than sufficient protection from all but the worst insults. And unlike some of the exotic tech cam lenses, your Hassy is built like a tank, so with just a modicum of care you should be in fine shape.

John
Sounds great, thanks, John!

Now, the gear will be a simple kit; the studio's H5D-50; 80mm lens;2 film backs;extra 120 film; no laptop; maybe an extra lens, periodically, if and when I rent one; tripod, of course; small first aid kit and medicines; mobile phone charger; misc. accessories, including battery charger; and a bit of outerwear.

What am I forgetting? Snacks, water, and CI folding stool? And...?:)

dave.gt

Update:

The last month has been challenging with one disaster and another and another following in succession.:( But, it seems that fairy dust accumulated at just the right time in regard to my photographic needs. Notice, I did not say "wants"...sorry Dante...

One of our esteemed members (and he is a great photographer and all around wonderful person) has me set up with a used Satori backpack. Many, many thanks for that blessing:thumbup:... and...Wow! Who knew how ingenious this system would be? Now I get it, and for those who are used to using a backpack, please let me know all the little useful tips that you have found for carrying your gear to location for a shoot/hike/camp. This is my first backpack setup for all my gear and it is amazing, making me wonder why I waited so long.

Typically, when going on location with TC, those observing our treks from car to the shoot and back, would witness me carrying a Hadley Pro shoulder bag, a small Domke backpack, a smaller bag with a backup or film camera, an accessories bag, a medicine bag, a small cooler, extra jackets/hat, a "fairly large" Gitzo tripod and, pushing my bride (who likes to accompany me to shoots when possible) in a small wheelchair with her own hot weather/warming gear:). Now, I have only the Satori with tripod strapped to it (around 40# total) plus the wheelchair to push. A huge improvement!

The H system really is not a problem for me and I really like the workout since it is difficult to find time and energy to actually have an exercise regimen. I am fortunate to be able to use the Studio's gear, plus I bought my own film back(s) to cut down on bringing another camera. There is something almost magical switching from the 50c to the film back. And the images prove that to be true. I love that modular system!:thumbs:

So, all who have practical tips about backpack systems and what to carry in it, let me know what you think! I am looking for a small first aid kit this weekend.:)

Edit:
Almost forgot... the ICU works so well, I don't even need to think about a foam insert anymore. I am absolutely happy with the strapped down equipment with the ICU compartment dividers. Been walking with the loaded backpack everyday lately and find that nothing shifts around or gets bumped. :)

dave.gt

BTW, over the years touring on either the BMW LT or one of the Harleys, I found the Road ID bracelets invaluable and have been using them for about as long as the company has been around. I just bought a new one with updated information this week. In case someone may find it of interest, here is the link:

https://www.roadid.com/

Looking for more links to gear accessories/must-haves, so please post them.:)

danlindberg

Yesterday I did a dirty cutout from a judo-mat to my smallest and lightest backpack. It holds the X1D, an extra battery and three Canon FDn lenses - FDn 20/2.8, FDn 50/1.4 and FDn 85/1.2 L. In the front pocket I can put a small one-leg support. The weight in total with the whole backpack is 3 kg. :thumbup:

Believe it or not, but all three lenses at F8 & F11 produces excellent results after applying a suitable lens profile and (important) cropping 20% of the frame. Meaning that the focal lengths are the same as the original 24x36 full frame film/sensor size on the X1D. Obviously this takes away the advantage of a larger sensor, but I find it very cool to use 40 years old lenses that can print 100x70cm landscapes that would not dissapoint many!

Right now I am setup to go for a three to four hour adventure on my motorbike! Going across Sierra Las Nieves on dirtroads. If anybody is knows about it, I am starting at La Quinta and will end up in the mountain village Istán. To make life more of a sport, I have studied google maps on screen and will not bring a gps.....:toocool:

3kg guys....including three lenses. Tough to beat!

dave.gt

Dan,

That is pretty cool!:)

I think I have some applications where your approach would be fun to do... with appropriately smaller gear. I am thinking of a smaller format (which I have plenty of to shoot film) since I cannot afford an X1D. And that Novoflex has me thinking too.:)

Never thought about making my own foam from a yoga mat!:):):)

drunkenspyder

Thanks for this Dave. I’ve been on the hunt for that perfect backpack as well. And like any good snipe hunt, it is both a fool’s delight and incredibly rewarding. I think I have every F-Stop bag, and was already in the Shimoda crowdfunding when I first came across Atlas. I recently took the new Shimoda 30L to Bora Bora, but not with any MF gear; just my Nikon Z7 and Lumix G9 rigs, along with a new anamorphic lens I am learning. It was pleasant carrying a lighter rig, versus the P1 and Cambo gear I took before. While I was there, I borrowed an X1D from the resort photographer, and enjoyed my limited use of it. I could easily see a street carry combo of the X1D and the 21mm, or maybe the 30mm. So I am trying them out with LensRental’s excellent free Christmas week. But I digress.

Based on your review and the many excellent YouTube videos, I am going to give the Athlete a try. I think the Adventure is just too much bag for my travel purposes. I love the concept of the integrated, non-removable Origami container, but for air travel, the removable ICU is still better for me. I put the ICU in either the Shimoda rollaboard or a Pelican Air, carry that with me on the plane, as well as the little PeakDesigns 20L. If I get on to a tiny plane or aggressive weight-enforcement carrier, I can keep my laptop and two camera bodies and main lenses in the 20L, while the rollaboard can be gate checked. The actual Shimoda shell goes into my checked bag, along with RRS tripod(s); I would love for one of those ultralight compact pods to be worth a damn,, but so far . . .. So, if the Athlete can act as a cross between a 20L and 40L, it could be very attractive and a way to cut down on what I carry on board. And it might be very attractive for long days (lots of water storage and non-camera compressible space) or short car trips, where getting out of the car quickly and into position is a real benefit. OTOH, for speed-packing, it may still be more than I need. The way to find out is to find out.

And for true backpacking/camping activities, I have Seek Outside and McHale packs designed for ICU style packing. Unfortunately, like Jae Moon and many of us here, I ain’t getting any younger. Multiple knee and hernia surgeries, and a long cancer recovery have taken some toll on my long-distance/high weight endurance. I have to be realistic about distance and elevation and seek the joy in less demanding locations.

I was also inspired by Dan Lindberg’s Hassy Daypack below. I have just such a tiny thing, and it should hold the Hassy and a lens just fine.

Thanks again.

P.S. I also enjoyed your review of the Hassy CF 350. I have the SA version, and I have not used it enough.

Pemihan

Would is be possible to use the Atlas Packs with an F-Stop ICU?

I sometimes go on trips where I need both a backpack and a Pelican case (eg river trips) and what I like about the F-stop is the possibility to just take out the ICU and put it in the Pelican but I hate the opening on the back of the F-Stop, I find it very hard to pull gear out that are stored in the outer perimeter of the ICU especially with delicate tech lenses. The Atlas Packs looks much better in this regard.

I suppose you could just remove the dividers in the Atlas Pack and shove an ICU in there instead?