The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DT's IQ4 Tech Camera Test Teaser

dchew

Notes on the LCC’s above:
I white balanced them all at the center of the image circle to give them a similar reference. I also gave them exposure adjustments as needed to get the center of the image circle to the same luminance, about 191 (0-255 scale).

Dave

Bruno Gil

I had the opportunity to test the IQ4 150 here in Lisbon last Thursday with Niels and Maximum.
We made some light controlled shots with food photography, some focus stacking ( 6 shots ) and we also tried with the WRS 1600 and the Schneider 35 XL ( 10mm up ) using the ES, no lcc = almost no color cast!
What an amazing DB!! For the first time really understood the BSI and could see it in use ( Niels explanation was super ). Really impressive!
Thumbs up for the PhaseOne guys! :salute:

vjbelle

Dave..... thanks for posting your results. You are so right in that the 35XL cannot shift to 15mm and still get sharp edges and corners. Just the nature of this lens. But it looks like 10mm is really doable which is a lot shifting for this lens. I would also never think of double movements with the 35XL - that's pushing that lens too much. Whether or not shooting the 35XL with 10mm shifting is worth $22,000.00 is another issue......

Victor

Edit: OOPS..... did I leave an 'f' out of shift?:facesmack: Corrected...:)

Last edited:

cnabbott

F***

My wife won't new happy!

Curtiss

Well, Doug continues to "tease."

I met him and his lovely wife in Northern Ohio. Tested the 35xl with and without a center filter. Doug can show you all the images if he wants (he takes better notes than I do anyway). It was a crappy day so we tested inside. The focus point was about 15 ft. Not infinity, which would be worst case, but close enough on this lens. After I got home, I repeated the LCC's at about the same focus distance with my IQ3100. All images at f/11.

My opinion: With the IQ4150, the limit to this lens is the lens itself. Those of you who have it know when you get out to 15-20mm it gets pretty soft anyway, so shifting out that far is not all that useful. Probably cannot get away without using the CF and not taking an LCC. But if you don't need too much rise/fall/shift, you certainly wouldn't need the CF. It is pretty clear to me that the LCC will clean up images with no issues or desaturation. This back has what I would call significant benefits to tech camera users:
  • Color cast barely exists on many lenses, and is easily dealt with on the tougher lenses like this one.
  • Focus peaking is useful and very well implemented.
  • I see little, if any, reason to take black reference frames. No more forgetting to re-open the shutter!! Not that I ever did that...
  • The electronic shutter is faster, but to be honest I've never had an issue on the 3100; I use it constantly.
Note the order between the two backs is not the same, so pay attention to the labels. Pretty obvious which image is which anyway.

Dave

IQ3100:

IQ4150: