The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Several CI Fresh Takes on the IQ4 150

Steve Hendrix

While the renowned Doug Peterson is going to have an amazingly comprehensive set of test results to share, with a product that costs as much as an IQ4 150, we feel that the more data points, the better.

So ahead of our event tomorrow with Niels Knudsen, we have now 2 additional articles published today from yours truly, and our very own Brad Kaye. If you don't know Brad, you should.

https://captureintegration.com/author/bradkaye/

IQ4 150: The Best Digital Back Ever for Technical Camera Use

Phase One IQ4 150: Built to Last (a long time)

It is our hope that you find the perspectives helpful.

Also - today we received our first official IQ4 150 demo units. Unboxing below:

Phase One IQ4 150 Unboxing

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

f8orbust

IQ4 150: The Best Digital Back Ever for Technical Camera Use...
It certainly appears to be in with a shout, though from what I've seen so far - in terms of out-and-out shifting ability - the P45+ is still king.

And since they can now be picked up used for about 10% the price of a 150, they're in the reach of most.

Overall then, in terms of functionality and price, I'd say a used P45+ is my 'Best Digital Back Ever for Technical Camera' :p

Steve Hendrix

It certainly appears to be in with a shout, though from what I've seen so far - in terms of out-and-out shifting ability - the P45+ is still king.

And since they can now be picked up used for about 10% the price of a 150, they're in the reach of most.

Overall then, in terms of functionality and price, I'd say a used P45+ is my 'Best Digital Back Ever for Technical Camera' :p

Good call on the venerable P45+! Considering the shift latitude (not to mention the long exposure performance), the P45+ could be considered a bargain today. And we do occasionally have them available in our Certified Pre-Owned inventory.

However, from Brad's perspective (and not taking price into the equation), his additional factors included not just shift latitude and long exposure, but also the flexibility that the advanced storage methods offer, and not least of all, the control over black reference calibration, which many photographers have been wanting for years. While the P45+ could produce an amazing 45 minute long exposure, having to then wait another 45 minutes before you could shoot again was agony.

I would also offer up that the ability to not just review the captures with a high quality LCD, but to also have live view with focus peaking for a camera that does not practically offer through the lens viewing, is another trump card over the P45+. Although, yes, it does come at a cost.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Jamgolf

I am impressed by the various IQ4 capabilities and tests results. By all accounts, it seems to offer several improvements/benefits for a techincal camera user. For that, Phase One deserves a lot of credit. The slow demise of technical cameras was being considered imminent just a few months ago and IQ4 features will definitely help in resuscitating and perhaps extending the life time of technical cameras.

In a perfect world, I'd jump in and upgrade to the new amazing tool. But the cost of upgrade from an IQ3-100 seems steep, based on what I've read so far. But its certainly seems like a great tool with tangible non-trivial improvements over the previous generation.

med

I would also offer up that the ability to not just review the captures with a high quality LCD, but to also have live view with focus peaking for a camera that does not practically offer through the lens viewing, is another trump card over the P45+. Although, yes, it does come at a cost.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Electronic shutter is another trump card in my eyes in favor of the 100 and 150MP backs.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am impressed by the various IQ4 capabilities and tests results. By all accounts, it seems to offer several improvements/benefits for a techincal camera user. For that, Phase One deserves a lot of credit. The slow demise of technical cameras was being considered imminent just a few months ago and IQ4 features will definitely help in resuscitating and perhaps extending the life time of technical cameras.

In a perfect world, I'd jump in and upgrade to the new amazing tool. But the cost of upgrade from an IQ3-100 seems steep, based on what I've read so far. But its certainly seems like a great tool with tangible non-trivial improvements over the previous generation.
I haven’t dared to price it up. What’s the damage?

kdphotography

To be clear, Don is asking what is the recommended minimum amount of computer RAM for processing IQ4 150 RAW files in C1 Pro----asking for a friend.

:ROTFL:

Craig Stocks

I have 32 in a Windows 7 laptop and it does fine. With kayers and stitching IQ3100 files it’s not unusual to end up with 2 to 5 GB Photoshop PSB files but I would opt for 64 if I were buying today. I also have two SSD drives which makes a big difference.

earburner

I learnt for a week over the summer how much ram is needed.. never really thought about it as I spec my hardware well. my main laptop went in for repair (onsite repair attempts failed) so I had to rely on my Wacom Studio pro. 16gb was just about enough, but would go on a bender now and then... going back to my 64gb ram laptop was amazing.. C1 can eat ram, mixed in with photoshop. With 50% more file on the iq4 150 I would have 32gb+ :D

med

I have 32 in a Windows 7 laptop and it does fine. With kayers and stitching IQ3100 files it’s not unusual to end up with 2 to 5 GB Photoshop PSB files but I would opt for 64 if I were buying today. I also have two SSD drives which makes a big difference.
I have 64 in my desktop and probably never use even close to all of it but my laptop with 16 is often at or above 80% utilization (mainly due to amount of programs open though, not due to particularly demanding ones... just how I roll on my laptop).

RAM is cheap though, relatively... I would get at least 32GB of the lowest latency, fastest speed modules supported by the motherboard.

Steve Hendrix

I have 64 in my desktop and probably never use even close to all of it but my laptop with 16 is often at or above 80% utilization (mainly due to amount of programs open though, not due to particularly demanding ones... just how I roll on my laptop).

RAM is cheap though, relatively... I would get at least 32GB of the lowest latency, fastest speed modules supported by the motherboard.

I would agree with all, in general I favor getting as much RAM as the system holds if upgradability is not an option for down the road.

Steve Hendrix/CI