The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 150 vs IQ3 100 Trichromatic ISO Run Testing @ Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

Amidst the other testing we are performing with the Phase One IQ4 150 digital back, we now have completed an ISO run comparison between IQ4 150 and IQ3 100 Trichromatic. We have learned that no test is perfect, there will always be second guessing (both internally and externally), so we treat any test as a data point. Does this test tell us something important about the product being tested? Can it tell us more? Perhaps, but there will always be more tests. Here then, below is the link to one such test:

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq4-iso-testing/

In this case, I think it does tell us something about how the IQ4 150 handles noise, and in a comparative environment to the previous best.

Steve Hendrix/CI

stevenfr

Steve

I have done a test with the prototype camera in a forest (which is kind of tough with wind conditions) doing a ISO sweep from 50 to 6400. I would be interested to see a final production version of the ISO sweep at 100% for the following ISO 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1250, 1600 and 3200 between the the IQ3 100 and the IQ4 150.

I have a sense from my testing of what the highest ISO I would use with the IQ4 150, but would like to confirm my observations.

I think others may have the same interest.

Also, I wonder how much of a difference can be seen in a large print and how much can be seen in a stitched panorama when the file size approached 5 GB. I have a file prepared with the ISO sweep, I just have to find the time to print it. Maybe next week.

Thanks for the help.

Steven

Amidst the other testing we are performing with the Phase One IQ4 150 digital back, we now have completed an ISO run comparison between IQ4 150 and IQ3 100 Trichromatic. We have learned that no test is perfect, there will always be second guessing (both internally and externally), so we treat any test as a data point. Does this test tell us something important about the product being tested? Can it tell us more? Perhaps, but there will always be more tests. Here then, below is the link to one such test:

In this case, I think it does tell us something about how the IQ4 150 handles noise, and in a comparative environment to the previous best.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix

Steve

I have done a test with the prototype camera in a forest (which is kind of tough with wind conditions) doing a ISO sweep from 50 to 6400. I would be interested to see a final production version of the ISO sweep at 100% for the following ISO 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1250, 1600 and 3200 between the the IQ3 100 and the IQ4 150.

I have a sense from my testing of what the highest ISO I would use with the IQ4 150, but would like to confirm my observations.

I think others may have the same interest.

Also, I wonder how much of a difference can be seen in a large print and how much can be seen in a stitched panorama when the file size approached 5 GB. I have a file prepared with the ISO sweep, I just have to find the time to print it. Maybe next week.

Thanks for the help.

Steven

HI Steve -

This testing was performed with our official demo unit that we received last Tuesday. Previously we had been testing with several prototype units. Hard to say if there will be any quality tweaks/improvements between our beta version and the first shipping version (I am doubtful), but I am already pretty pleased. And notably, this test was absent the Frame Averaging feature, which will take quality even further, but is not yet operational.

We are looking forward to more testing.

Steve Hendrix/CI

narikin

Thanks, good to see, but really almost nobody uses 3200/6400asa with these backs!
(I'm on 70,000 exposures with my IQ3-100, and have never gone above 800, and that was one single emergency!)

I'd much rather see you post the 100/200/400 comparisons, without us needing to fill in a form!
I know, it's a business you are running, so maybe I should chillax!

Steve Hendrix

Thanks, good to see, but really almost nobody uses 3200/6400asa with these backs!
(I'm on 70,000 exposures with my IQ3-100, and have never gone above 800, and that was one single emergency!)

I'd much rather see you post the 100/200/400 comparisons, without us needing to fill in a form!
I know, it's a business you are running, so maybe I should chillax!

That is true. With the IQ3 100 I cut off at 1600. Not that I was trying to use ISO 1600, but I felt like at ISO 1600 in situations where I had no choice, I was still getting the crispness and detail I wanted to see (with luminance noise reduction turned to zero). At 3200, I just wasn't. But - everyone is different, and I know some photographers pushed the IQ3 100 further.

What seems apparent to me is that the IQ4 150 may push my tolerance up to ISO 3200, as the detail I see is still in the realm of what I expect from medium format (I don't mind the noise so much, depending on the subject matter, I am more concerned with the bite and the detail).

Ideally, I and most would shoot at base or base + 1 or 2 stops. But everyone is different, different subject matter can work well at different ISO rates and noise levels. And sometimes we encounter opportunistic necessities.

There are ISO runs from 50 (or 35 on the Trichromatic), up to 12,800. So the entire range, including 400/800, is included. And with that said, this is all about data points, and the noise we see at IS 200 is relevant to some, the noise at 6400 is relevant to to others. And especially from a comparative standpoint to previous models.

On the subject of filling out the form, well, yes, we feel it is fair, but won't judge anyone who thinks it is not. However, on that subject, it has come to our attention today that the form is not forwarding download links to the email addresses. We have looked into this, and resolving it is not as simple as one might think. So for anyone who would like to see the raw files, please contact me directly via the email link below, or contact our [email protected], and we'll send you a download link. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Steve Hendrix/CI

joegl

Hi ,

Is there any kind of data sheet comparison IQ3 100, IQ3 Tri and IQ4 Tri,
looking for an upgrade from coming from IQ250

Thanks

Joerg

Steve Hendrix/CI
Hi, I am interested in both backs, please send me the raw files, more is better, I have enough bandwith:) My email is [email protected] Thanks