The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon to GFX smart adapters: Techart? Kipon?

Apparently the Techart autofocus adapter for Canon lenses to GFX has been available for a while. Fairly recently, Kipon has replaced their first version with a newer and smaller one that's also $100 cheaper than Techart.

I couldn't find any comparative reviews, but thought someone here might have some experience, or at least an opinion?

Kirk

Knorp

Hi Kirk,

I'm using the Kipon 'EF-GFX AF' adapter for my Sigma Art EF-mount lenses (20/1.4 and 135/1.8).
The adapter's firmware has seen some necessary updates, but the latest version 1.16 is doing fine.
The update is done via an executable that you run while the adapter is connected over USB to your workstation.
The adapter feels solid and has a good firm fit to both lens and camera.
Would I recommend it ? Yes, absolutely.
Something to complain ? Yes, there's no tripod mount.

Krgds.

marc aurel

I would not recommend the Techart EF to GFX adapter. Although it is fine mechanically it has one significant disadvantage in its firmware.

Background:
The GFX behaves strange when a lens with electronic aperture control (like a Canon lens) is connected via a smart adapter: the GFX then embeds the lens profile for its native GF 63mm lens (don't know why but it does). This unwanted distortion correction then distorts your image because it is made for another lens. And the correction profile can not be switched off in Lightroom because it is embedded. Annoying.

But this behaviour can be switched off by a clever programming of the adapter firmware. It took the adapter makers a while to do this. The Steelsring has done it smart: the profile is generally switched off.
But the Techart firmware does something stupid: it can switch off that profile, but you have to press the silver button every time you switch on the camera for that.

I don't know how the the Kipon behaves in that regard.

Danny Burk

I would not recommend the Techart EF to GFX adapter. Although it is fine mechanically it has one significant disadvantage in its firmware.

Background:
The GFX behaves strange when a lens with electronic aperture control (like a Canon lens) is connected via a smart adapter: the GFX then embeds the lens profile for its native GF 63mm lens (don't know why but it does). This unwanted distortion correction then distorts your image because it is made for another lens. And the correction profile can not be switched off in Lightroom because it is embedded. Annoying.

But this behaviour can be switched off by a clever programming of the adapter firmware. It took the adapter makers a while to do this. The Steelsring has done it smart: the profile is generally switched off.
But the Techart firmware does something stupid: it can switch off that profile, but you have to press the silver button every time you switch on the camera for that.

I don't know how the the Kipon behaves in that regard.
I'm glad you posted this. I wondered what the silver button was for. I'd read about the Techart/63mm profile issue, but I thought it was solved by their firmware update. Nowhere did I see that one has to hold in the button when turning on the camera.

Of course I had to try it right away, even though I read this at 2 am last night. Immediately I learned two things: 1) my adapter shipped with the update installed, and 2) one does indeed get different results after holding in the button! I was hoping that might have been fixed by now, and since it hasn't, the tests I've been doing with adapted lenses have all been made useless. Anyway, I'm glad I came across your post, or I'd have been shooting "real" images with the wrong profile and not just tests.

Danny Burk

Question for Marc (or others who may know):

Does the button-holding procedure need to be done whenever another lens is attached, even though the adapter has remained on the camera, or only after those times when the adapter has just been attached?

Danny Burk

I answered the above question myself: yes, the button has to be pressed if changing lenses while the adapter stays on the camera. And it also has to be pressed if the adapter and lens stay in place but the camera is turned off and on again.

The only time the button doesn't have to be pressed is when adapter and lens stay in place and the camera hasn't been turned off.

Very helpful, so glad I asked! Thanks to all.

I'll go ahead and order the Techart, knowing that I have to push a silver button every time I turn the camera on.

BTW, Adorama has (or had) a Black Friday offer of $100 off = $399.

Kirk

Last edited:

Danny Burk

And thanks for your post, Kirk. I didn't know that Adorama was running a sale on the Techart, but now that I do, I've written to request a $100 refund since I could easily return and reorder it instead. I assume they'd prefer to go with the simpler option!

marc aurel

I answered the above question myself: yes, the button has to be pressed if changing lenses while the adapter stays on the camera. And it also has to be pressed if the adapter and lens stay in place but the camera is turned off and on again.

The only time the button doesn't have to be pressed is when adapter and lens stay in place and the camera hasn't been turned off.
Hi Danny,

I recommend to switch off the camera before changing lenses with GFX and Techart adapter. The reason is that I sometimes experienced camera freeze when changing lenses with GFX switched on (screen freezes, camera does not react, only detaching adpater and switching off camera helps). Maybe you're lucky and it does not occur with your camera. But when it happens that might help.

Techart refers to the the camera freeze issue in the FAQ section on their website:
"Q: I have experienced some occasional camera freeze while using the adapter. May I know the reason why?
A: We are trying to identify in what scenario will camera freeze occur so that we can re-programme to solve this bug. If you can replicate the process which creates the freeze, appreciate if you could feedback to us via [email protected]."

That sentence stands there for a year now. They did not answer my email where I described the situations that create camera freeze. And I does not look like they are able to find a solution.

Marc

Danny Burk

Thanks, Marc. Yes, I do turn off the camera whenever I change lenses. I meant that it's only OK to not press the button if the camera is on *and* lens/adapter is not changed, such as moving the camera to get a different composition while it is turned on.

msadat

there is a the third adapter from steel, which works just fine with regular updates. i have both the techart and the steel ring, techarts customer service sucks

TriElmar

Even if you forgot to press the button there is still hope: Don´t use ACR but Capture One! Choose the "Generic" profile in the lens correction menu. Then the Fuji lens profile is removed and you are all set.

Kind regards,
J. J.

marc aurel

Even if you forgot to press the button there is still hope: Don´t use ACR but Capture One! Choose the "Generic" profile in the lens correction menu. Then the Fuji lens profile is removed and you are all set.

Kind regards,
J. J.
Great to hear that C1 does that the easy way. But there is still hope even for those who prefer ACR and Lightroom. You can use Iridient X-Transformer (a great and very cheap program for what it does), which is able to remove the embedded profile. But this is an extra step in import process which takes a lot of extra time. The steelsring adapter still seems to be a better choice for those who have not yet invested in the Techart.

Owen

Great to hear that C1 does that the easy way. But there is still hope even for those who prefer ACR and Lightroom. You can use Iridient X-Transformer (a great and very cheap program for what it does), which is able to remove the embedded profile. But this is an extra step in import process which takes a lot of extra time. The steelsring adapter still seems to be a better choice for those who have not yet invested in the Techart.
I've had no end of problems with the Steelsring adapter and the maker seems to have gone awol and doesn't answer requests for support. There were issues with certainly lenses suddenly being stuck with aperture wide open, whilst other lenses still worked fine. Caused a couple of very awkward situations on shoots with clients standing next to me and the camera unable to operate. I'm not the only one who experienced these problems. I think I'd choose Kipon purely for the customer service.

marc aurel

I've had no end of problems with the Steelsring adapter and the maker seems to have gone awol and doesn't answer requests for support. There were issues with certainly lenses suddenly being stuck with aperture wide open, whilst other lenses still worked fine. Caused a couple of very awkward situations on shoots with clients standing next to me and the camera unable to operate. I'm not the only one who experienced these problems. I think I'd choose Kipon purely for the customer service.
Sad to hear about support problems with the steelsring too.
Questions to those who use the Kipon:
- Does it work flawlessly concerning firmware?
- Does it fit firmly mechanically?
- How is support?

Knorp

- How is support?
- updated so far twice (1.09 -> 1.15, 1.16) without glitch (you download an executable)
- it fits firmly, but not too tight, to both lens and camera
- dunno, had no need for support yet

Owen

- How is support?
For their other products, Kipon's support has always been excellent. They'd certainly be my choice if I were buying again.

chrismuc

I use the Steel EF-GF adapter with Canon EF 17f4 TSE, 24f3.5 TSE II, 100f2.8 Macro L, 200f2.8 L and tested with several Sigma Art lenses.
I never had issues with auto aperture malfunctions with any lens.
With current firmware 2.05, speed, accuracy and reliability of AF is pretty good (with AF lenses) and no longer wrong profiles are written into the raw exif.
Mechanical precision is very good: tight but not too tight fit on both sides.
So from my side I can recommend the adapter.
Of course Steel is basically a one-man firm, not an established adapter company like Kipon.
(From Kipon I only use mechanical adapters. Techart and Fringer I never tried.)

Owen

I use the Steel EF-GF adapter with Canon EF 17f4 TSE, 24f3.5 TSE II, 100f2.8 Macro L, 200f2.8 L and tested with several Sigma Art lenses.
I never had issues with auto aperture malfunctions with any lens.
With current firmware 2.05, speed, accuracy and reliability of AF is pretty good (with AF lenses) and no longer wrong profiles are written into the raw exif.
Mechanical precision is very good: tight but not too tight fit on both sides.
So from my side I can recommend the adapter.
Of course Steel is basically a one-man firm, not an established adapter company like Kipon.
(From Kipon I only use mechanical adapters. Techart and Fringer I never tried.)
Chris, I find my experience confusing. With the TS 17/24/50 there have never been any problems. However with the 16-35 and a rental 85 it was never ending. So, perhaps an autofocus lens issue could be the reason, or so you would think? However the 40mm and even an old 24-105 work just fine. A friend also had the same issues with his 100 macro and fisheye zoom whilst other lenses work well. It's really strange. And then the guy just disappears, doesn't answer messages or emails, he's gone, invisible. Xiaoming at Kipon has been fantastic with support and answering questions, which I'm grateful for.