The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Pentax 645 lenses on GFX?

gurtch

Happy Thanksgiving all:
I have 5 manual focus Pentax 645 lenses (with aperture rings), I want to use on a GFX 50R, when it gets here. I will be getting an adapter. How is this done: do I open the aperature wide open, focus, then stop down, and then shoot? Camera set to aperature priority? Is there any focusing aids such as magnified view, peaking?
Thanks
Dave in NJ

ejpeiker

Happy Thanksgiving all:
I have 5 manual focus Pentax 645 lenses (with aperture rings), I want to use on a GFX 50R, when it gets here. I will be getting an adapter. How is this done: do I open the aperature wide open, focus, then stop down, and then shoot? Camera set to aperature priority? Is there any focusing aids such as magnified view, peaking?
Thanks
Dave in NJ
Funny I just got done shooting the GFX-50S with an old Mamiya 645 manual focus lens with aperture ring a few minutes ago - a very similar configuration to what you are asking about. With the adapter and lens and the camera set to MF mode with peaking on, it works very well. Just make sure you set the camera to allow shutter release with no lens attached since the camera will not "see" the lens due to lack of electronic coupling.

Another approach to focusing and probably a more accurate one especially if any of the lenses have focus shift is as follows. Rather than open the lens wide open, focus and then stop down, set the aperture to what you intend to shoot with up front and focus - this will eliminate any focus shift inherent in the lens between wide open and stopped down. If in low light and shooting with a flash, this might not allow you to see the image in the viewfinder so in that case just temporarily change the shutter speed to a slower shutter speed to brighten up the viewfinder and LCD to allow you to focus, and then change the shutter speed back down to take the shot.

Last edited:

gurtch

Thank you for the tip. I sure hope the adapted lenses work out, as I have 5 of them.
Regards
Dave