The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Most quite Capture One release ever?

Jeffrey

I have the annual subscription to Capture One, and the update came through without any problems.

I use the software to review images I've shot. I'm completely inept at post processing. I do hit the large "A" button and let the software make basic corrections. By the way, I find the "A" button corrections to be quite good!

I'm quite satisfied with the annual subscription but understand the argument by those people who want to own the software.

Good shooting, everyone!

DougDolde

Well I upgraded to Mojave and downloaded the trial of C1 V12.

So far I'm more impressed with Mojave than V12

ejpeiker

I updated both my Win 10 system and my Win 7.1 system. No problems at all, totally smooth on Win 10. The update on the Win 7 system threw me into a momentary panic. The software installed and then asked if I wnated to open C1 v. 12 which I said yes to. Nothing happened. I double clicked on the desktop icon it created and the little wheel that indicates that the computer is thinking went round and round for a while and then nothing. I launched C1 v. 11 and it said that my license had been deactivated. tTried C1 v. 12 again and again nothing. $#!+

So then I rebooted the system and all worked fine. The C1 installer should have said to restart the system when it finished, at least on my system.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yesterday I upgraded to Mojave on my Mac Book Retina and then did the same with C1 v. 12. After a few hours testing where everything worked perfectly, I did the same for my MacPro. It too runs well.

I have also installed the Helicon Plug-In for Mac but haven't tested it yet. Maybe this afternoon!

ejpeiker

I'm experiencing a painfully slow start up in comparison with v.11. Anyone else experiencing this?
Does v.12 needs to rebuild all previews?
It is a bit slower here too but the difference is maybe 3 seconds...
I found that one of my systems needed to be rebooted after initial install though in order for C1 v. 12 to start-up properly

dchew

I also found some weird operation until I shut down and restarted. Like no history (couldn't undo / CMDZ), histograms not always appearing, masks not working, etc.

Restarting seems to have fixed all of those issues.

Dave

RobbieAB

Does it support Linux yet?
/troll

I have strong objections to Win10 on a workstation due to questions surrounding liability for forced updates, and Apple don't currently sell any proper workstation class systems. Networked Win7 is not viable long, or even medium, term at this point. The leaves me looking for options for Linux. Cost wise, C1 would be a very easy buy for me if it had a Linux port, but it's not something P1 are doing currently.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Does it support Linux yet?
No, and I would not expect support until/unless Linux becomes a significant chunk of their potential user base.

The stats I find say Linux is used on less than 2% of desktop/laptop computers. I suspect most of that 2% are using Linux for a reason unrelated to photography. Obviously Linux is much more common in a corporate server environment, but that's unrelated to C1 use.

Apple really has left a hole in the product line for a long time now. The Silver Mac Pro was (is) wonderful but is quite legacy at this point. The black Mac Pro is sporting last-gen hardware (particularly the GPU which were cutting-edge in 2013) but a very next-gen price point. The new Mac Mini with a good eGPU should punch well above its weight/size/cost, but is not, in my opinion, a direct replacement for a true pro tower.

Apple has said they'll have something completely new in 2019, and that they want to return to modularity and upgradeability on this next-gen pro tower. At DT we're ready to buy four the day they are released, and won't be buying any new Mac hardware (unless absolutely forced to) until then.

So it's kind of a holding pattern in the mac world, unless your budget is under $3k in which case one of the current laptops or Mac Mini is probably the way to go.

Don Libby

I updated C1 the same day it was released for Fuji back in Sept so got screwed out of the window to update for free. As much as I had enjoyed being able to open my GFX files directly into C1-11 I was hesitate to spend the extra money on yet another update.

I did anyway and have been using 12 now for the past couple of days (PC with Win 10) and couldn't be happier. This is by far the best update to come down the pike. My normal workflow with C1 was nominal doing most of the heavy lifting in PSCC. I'm reviewing files taken shortly after switching to the GFX last year and about at least 1/2 I've been able to process entirely in C1-12; not a feat I had ever been able to do before.

Sure it cost me money I didn't want to spend however in the end it was well worth it.

RobbieAB

No, and I would not expect support until/unless Linux becomes a significant chunk of their potential user base.

The stats I find say Linux is used on less than 2% of desktop/laptop computers. I suspect most of that 2% are using Linux for a reason unrelated to photography. Obviously Linux is much more common in a corporate server environment, but that's unrelated to C1 use.

Apple really has left a hole in the product line for a long time now. The Silver Mac Pro was (is) wonderful but is quite legacy at this point. The black Mac Pro is sporting last-gen hardware (particularly the GPU which were cutting-edge in 2013) but a very next-gen price point. The new Mac Mini with a good eGPU should punch well above its weight/size/cost, but is not, in my opinion, a direct replacement for a true pro tower.

Apple has said they'll have something completely new in 2019, and that they want to return to modularity and upgradeability on this next-gen pro tower. At DT we're ready to buy four the day they are released, and won't be buying any new Mac hardware (unless absolutely forced to) until then.

So it's kind of a holding pattern in the mac world, unless your budget is under $3k in which case one of the current laptops or Mac Mini is probably the way to go.
Your comments on the Apple situation far more eloquently states my issues with Apple as a workstation candidate than I could.

At this point, I am in a position with no really good options: Apple don't have a hardware option I could even start to consider, Windows is basically unacceptable, and Linux has no vendor support. From that list, the easiest to work around, at least for my older P30 back, is the vendor support as dcraw supports P30 raw files, and almost any candidate program on Linux, currently, is open source.

I would question the assertion that it's actually a major issue porting a program that runs on both Mac OS and Windows to Linux, at least based on the observations of the games industry and games porting companies, but I will concede that this really is the software company's choice.

The major counterpoint I would offer to the "Linux isn't worth it" argument is to say "Look at what Valve are doing with Steam". They are putting a huge amount of effort into getting games running on Linux. Linux is there in the workstation space already, as the platform of choice for a lot of older Unix workstation applications.

All that said, I fully respect it is Phase Ones decision to offer a Linux port or not, but I also reserve the right to periodically pester them about it. If no one asks, there is "no demand" and it will never happen, even if that demand does actually exist.

med

All that said, I fully respect it is Phase Ones decision to offer a Linux port or not, but I also reserve the right to periodically pester them about it. If no one asks, there is "no demand" and it will never happen, even if that demand does actually exist.
I agree that some demand as there, but it is quite small IMHO. The video gaming crowd =\= the imaging community. If Adobe has gotten by without supporting Linux for this long i doubt Phase One are even considering it. Other than purpose built high end compositing/graphics/editing stations (where the OS is not even really exposed to the user) Linux has never been a popular choice in the imaging community.

But maybe it would be if the software support was there? Chicken/egg....

DougDolde

I"m still using my Mac Pro 2013 with 32 GB ram and 1 TB SSD. It still works very nicely I feel no need to upgrade