The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 Tri vs IQ250 noise at high ISO

joegl

Hi there,

just upgraded from IQ250 to IQ3 100 Tri, and I recognized an increasing of noise at high ISO between these two backs starting at ISO 1600.
Is there any kind of technical explanation, maybe because of lower ISO starting at the Tri. Or is it only my way of shooting ?
I had to exchange the backs, so no side by side shooting possible.

thanks

Joerg

Paul2660

In my experience, 1600 is pretty much top end on the 3100. If you are trying to push 1600. Not much push. 1600 on the 3100 works best when exposed to the right considerable, and bracketed as you will lose the highlights quickly. The IQ250, was always one of the cleanest backs from P1, and it would not surprise me to see more noise from the 3100.

Just curious, are you using C1 or a other raw converter?

LR for example can't touch the high ISO results from C1 on most cameras I have, especially a 3100. Adobe only made a simple one time pass on the raw and it's not a good conversion at all.

Paul C

joegl

hi Paul,

thanks for the reply.

I do always use C1.
In your experience, is the IQ3 100 any different in case of high iso noise compare to IQ3 100 Tri...?

thanks Joerg

Paul2660

I can't answer that one. From testing I have seen, the TriColor 100 has better low ISO push, and also has a lower base ISO of 35, instead of 50.

Paul C