The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iq4 high iso performance?

kdphotography

No matter what anyone says about you or your driving---I knew I liked you for a reason, Steve! :LOL:

Hope you and the rest of the CI family have a great holiday!

Ken

Boinger

Hmm I am planning to get the back to use in my studio with strobes. How will that work on my tech cam with the E shutter?

I hope it's not going to be a year long wait like it was with my H6d that was unpleasant.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hmm I am planning to get the back to use in my studio with strobes. How will that work on my tech cam with the E shutter?

I hope it's not going to be a year long wait like it was with my H6d that was unpleasant.
You can't use strobes with the E shutter: it reads out too slowly - which is also why you can't use the E shutter for large, moving objects. Scenes where small leaves are gently fluttering will generally be OK, but the top of the frame will read out later than the bottom, I don't know by how much but it's roughly in the order of 1/15th of a second.

I have regularly used my Alpa camera with strobes but always with the copal/Kapture combination.

Which means that until this is fixed, the IQ4 will not be useable for either strobes or for most moving subjects.

This is where Phase One begins to suffer from the ‘that cable connection will work at some time in the future’ history it should never have allowed to happen.

USB anyone? That’s why I do not trust this situation.

For reference here's a crop of a handheld frame taken from an IQ3100 at 100th Second using the electronic shutter.... so hand held is another use case that might be very limited without a wakeup cable. Followed by that is an example of a copal/strobe shot, also to be counted impossible for now....

Last edited:

JamesJetel

Well this is a tremendous disappointment. I hope a solution comes soon. I’d like a wake up cable with a built in ES trigger and programmable shutter speed...

Not sure if that’s possible, but would be ideal.

narikin

As stated, I don’t expect a cheap solution, I expect a free solution.
Completely agree. it needs to be complimentary, with profuse apologies.

It seems that the issue is the ability to use the copal shutter on a tech cam ----not using the ES feature, or included cables/releases that trigger the ES.

To me, this means my Kapture Group One-shot cable is now obsolete with the IQ4 series.
AND FPS/ Silex users, who rely on a cable to trigger the Focal Plane shutter, to get higher shutter speeds and freeze movement. None of those work at present, except in ES mode. So no strobe, no motion freezing.

Phase One - you have really dropped the ball here. I'd like to think it was simply overlooked, but it seems if you use the XF, you're fine, it's people who use other manufacturers cameras (Arca, Alpa, Cambo, etc) who are cut out. Hmmm...

narikin

It also worries me, that even if Phase were to release the IQ4 multipin specs today, it takes time for manufacturers to make them. Kapture Group, Alpa, etc can't have new cables ready in a couple of days. I'm steeling myself for a few months wait.

narikin

With that said - I know that Phase One is aware of how important this segment of the market is to them and I have some faith the delay for implementation will not be long. But the IQ4 150 backs are starting to ship, and the clock is ticking.
Had my IQ4 for 12 days already. My clock has tocked!

narikin

A belated idea - Phase should allow tech users to hold onto their old IQ3-100 back till this is fixed, at least we have something to work with. Too late for me, mine was traded out already, but for others, this might be a workable patch.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The IQ4 is a ground-up redesign: all hardware (except the physical chassis and LCD), all software (including the OS itself), and all firmware are brand new from scratch.

The firmware/cable for Copal Sync is coming; P1 (and any dealer worth their salt) understands it's, as Steve said above, an "important issue" and "needs to be solved promptly by Phase One" vital to a large subset of users. It just wasn't ready at the same time everything else was ready and it didn't make sense to hold all shipments until it was.

In the meanwhile, this afternoon DT's R+D team developed a pretty reasonable workaround for our clients who need fast flash sync (up to 1/500) on a tech camera with their IQ4.

Last edited:

narikin

It's *not* simply Copal Shutter Sync Doug. There's Alpa FPS and Silex users out here who's whole workflow is totally suspended till this is fixed. If it's *months* that is simply unacceptable.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's *not* simply Copal Shutter Sync Doug. There's Alpa FPS and Silex users out here who's whole workflow is totally suspended till this is fixed. If it's *months* that is simply unacceptable.
You're preaching to the choir. Bear in mind I'm not the one responsible for getting the firmware/cable to market, and I fully agree it's very important Phase One do so. I'm responsible for making sure DT's clients know the current situation and provide them the most up to date and useful information.

And please excuse my shorthand; "copal sync" can be more accurately read as "external trigger pulse via multiport" as, in addition to the use cases you outlined, it includes use with Rodenstock eShutter, Schneider SES, some exotic scientific and machine-vision setups, and use as a pinhole camera among others.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I’ve been in communication with both my dealer and with Phase’s main man in the UK, who I know, like and trust. He tells me Relax, it won’t be next week but it will be soon.

I’ve already paid for my upgrade in full and am awaiting updates about delivery.

So if ‘soon’ comes before proposed delivery, I’m in. Otherwise, I’m not - and will be asking for a refund - unless they let me keep the iq3100 in the meantime.

Companies should not expect to be allowed to ship incomplete products at full price without cast iron guarantees. And companies which have previously indicated functionality which they take overly long to fulfil should not be surprised when their carefully couched indications come to be regarded as suspect.

It seems really very likely that this will be sorted quickly and that this will be a storm in a teacup. However, assumptions aren't enough to go on at this level of investment.

Last edited:

Boinger

The IQ4 is a ground-up redesign: all hardware (except the physical chassis and LCD), all software (including the OS itself), and all firmware are brand new from scratch.

The firmware/cable for Copal Sync is coming; P1 (and any dealer worth their salt) understands it's, as Steve said above, an "important issue" and "needs to be solved promptly by Phase One" vital to a large subset of users. It just wasn't ready at the same time everything else was ready and it didn't make sense to hold all shipments until it was.

In the meanwhile, this afternoon DT's R+D team developed a pretty reasonable workaround for our clients who need fast flash sync (up to 1/500) on a tech camera with their IQ4.
Can you share what this work and is? I need strobes from day 1 with my back.

Boinger

I have also succumbed to dante, and put my order in. Let's see hopefully the solution is developed sooner rather than later.

vonalpen

I have received a test back of the IQ4 150 yesterday, and a brand new sync cable for the copal shutter is included in the kit.
In fact the dealer (here in Switzerland) confirmed that it had just been delivered to them from Phase One and will also be included with the shipping version, as we would expect.
The changing of the pin layout still means that third party cables (ALPA, Kapture Group...) will have to be redesigned, which will not be a free solution.

I am now looking forward to do the comparison with my IQ3 100 over the next few days, but will actually mostly use the electronic shutter.
I use it on my ALPA, don’t own the XF.
As a side note, it is still not possible to store values for shifts and tilts directly with the image on the back, you can only dial in the f-stop.
Storing RAW-files on SD-cards is currently not supported, but a XQD-card with reader is included in the kit.
Other features are still grayed out in the menu but will be available with future firmware updates, as usual with a brand new product like the IQ4 150.
It definitely looks like this back will be great combined with technical cameras.

I have confidence in Phase One that they will deliver, this back is here to stay for a long time....

Boinger

I have received a test back of the IQ4 150 yesterday, and a brand new sync cable for the copal shutter is included in the kit.
In fact the dealer (here in Switzerland) confirmed that it had just been delivered to them from Phase One and will also be included with the shipping version, as we would expect.
The changing of the pin layout still means that third party cables (ALPA, Kapture Group...) will have to be redesigned, which will not be a free solution.

I am now looking forward to do the comparison with my IQ3 100 over the next few days, but will actually mostly use the electronic shutter.
I use it on my ALPA, don’t own the XF.
As a side note, it is still not possible to store values for shifts and tilts directly with the image on the back, you can only dial in the f-stop.
Storing RAW-files on SD-cards is currently not supported, but a XQD-card with reader is included in the kit.
Other features are still grayed out in the menu but will be available with future firmware updates, as usual with a brand new product like the IQ4 150.
It definitely looks like this back will be great combined with technical cameras.

I have confidence in Phase One that they will deliver, this back is here to stay for a long time....

That is great news. I hopefully it comes when my back is ready.