The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji f/5.6 100-200mm Zoom available first quarter 2019?

tcdeveau

I think this will be a great addition to the GFX system. With Fuji’s current lens roadmap, one could have a pretty killer travel landscape setup in time with just three lenses - 23mm, 45-100mm, and 100-200mm. I wish Hasselblad would come out with something similar for the X-system.

My guess would in line with E.J.’s - $2499 or less since it’s only f5.6. Wouldn’t be surprised if it would be sub-$2000 at some point given the way Fuji is handing out discounts.
-Todd

ejpeiker

If memory serves from the announcement, it is both Internal Focus an Internal zoom. The photo above proves that it is internal zoom as it is set to 170mm and nothing is extending out of the front of the lens.

Knorp

If memory serves from the announcement, it is both Internal Focus an Internal zoom. The photo above proves that it is internal zoom as it is set to 170mm and nothing is extending out of the front of the lens.
I've noticed that too and while you're probably right I know that f.i. my Zuiko 12-40/2.8 is at its shortest when in ±15-16mm position.

Mark C

Certainly covers a useful focal length (effectively 80 - 160mm). I'd like it, I may buy it, what I find annoying with Fuji though is that they rely on G.A.S. sufferers like me to pay full price when new glass is released then a few months later there's £hundreds knocked off in discounts. Probably the best time to buy this will be this time next year, I'd predict it could be bought for £1800 at that stage.

PeterA

This is the first lens Fuji are bringing out for the GFX - whose purpose I really do not understand.

ejpeiker

This is the first lens Fuji are bringing out for the GFX - whose purpose I really do not understand.
It fills a huge hole in the focal length range between 120mm and 250mm. One could argue that the f/5.6 is disappointing but at f/4 it would be very large. For me, who will use it exclusively as a landscape photography lens to do exactly what I said above, fill the gap, f/5.6 is not an issue. Certainly for studio photographers, the lens' purpose could be questioned but for those of us that hike many miles with their gear, a three lens system with the 23, 32-64, and 100-200 is dramatically more size and weight manageable than the current state of carrying the 23, 32-64, 110 or 120, and 250. It saves around 5 lb or so!

Christopher

I already love the lens! Finally something that isn’t huge. I have all gfx lenses and they are all great. I’m missing however, something small and light with flexibility in the tele range. Here this lens will be perfect. I for one am very glad, that it’s a small light lens with 5,6. One thing current 36FF manufactures don’t get...

JeRuFo

I already love the lens! Finally something that isn’t huge. I have all gfx lenses and they are all great. I’m missing however, something small and light with flexibility in the tele range. Here this lens will be perfect. I for one am very glad, that it’s a small light lens with 5,6. One thing current 36FF manufactures don’t get...
I agree, this fits a purpose for me too, though I would have like another 50mm or so on the long end. But that would probably interfere with 250mm sales in their view.
I don't really see how you can't find a reasonably compact versatile lens with the FF manufacturers though, they pretty much all make one. Canon with the 70-300 4-5,6, Nikon with the 80-400 4.5-5.6 and sony with the 100-400G. They are no smaller than this lens, but offer a lot more range.

Danny Burk

The 5.6 max aperture likewise won't bother me, since I'll use the lens only for landscape and will more than likely stop down to at least f/8 anyway. It's actually very similar to the lens I'm presently using for the same purposes, a Contax 100-300, which is f/5 or 5.6 for most of its range. As good as the Contax is (and it's very very good, especially considering that it's a 20 year old design), I don't doubt that the Fuji will be better.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looking forward to this addition to the lens fold. For landscape I don’t need f/4 and so having a smaller lens will work well. The bag still feels like a bag of bricks even with the 23, 32-64, 120 & 250 + TC but having the option of swapping out the 120 & 250 for ‘normal’ landscape work and bringing it along in the car will be a nice option overall.

:thumbs: Nice job Fuji. Let’s hope that the performance matches the rest of the lens line up.

PeterA

It fills a huge hole in the focal length range between 120mm and 250mm. One could argue that the f/5.6 is disappointing but at f/4 it would be very large. For me, who will use it exclusively as a landscape photography lens to do exactly what I said above, fill the gap, f/5.6 is not an issue. Certainly for studio photographers, the lens' purpose could be questioned but for those of us that hike many miles with their gear, a three lens system with the 23, 32-64, and 100-200 is dramatically more size and weight manageable than the current state of carrying the 23, 32-64, 110 or 120, and 250. It saves around 5 lb or so!
I'm happy you and others have a definite use for the focal length - you are quite right, it is unlikely I will ever treck with a alot of MF gear on my back since I never have - therefore wouldnt consider the weight issue.

btw - excellent photographic website you have - a lot of interesting images and articles, I congratulate you on your photography and work ethic

Pete

David Schneider

For me, as primarily a portrait studio photographer, this replaces my HC 100, 150 and 210mm. My studio sessions are generally short and timed so this will allow me to stay with one lens probably 90+% of the time. In the studio I am most often in the f5.6-11 range anyway so the 100-200 will be well suited to me, hence why I've pre-pre-ordered it through member/dealer PedroL
:) Hard to say if I'd take it on a trip, but if weight is reasonable there's a possibility.

Last edited: