The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is Hasselblad 150mp camera at?

kdphotography

The earthquake in Japan certainly did not help. But imho, Hasselblad has been playing catch-up or follow the leader since Phase One released the P65+ over ten years ago. Hasselblad's multishot options were always unique. But not until the introduction of the new X1D did we really see something new and innovative from Hasselblad. I hope they do keep updating the H platform, regardless of following Phase One's lead.

ken

dave.gt

The earthquake in Japan certainly did not help. But imho, Hasselblad has been playing catch-up or follow the leader since Phase One released the P65+ over ten years ago. Hasselblad's multishot options were always unique. But not until the introduction of the new X1D did we really see something new and innovative from Hasselblad. I hope they do keep updating the H platform, regardless of following Phase One's lead.

ken
The H system rules with modularity for me. No disposable body here and the added value with two amazing film backs is simply fantastic! Currently, I am shooting a backlog of 120 film, color and black/white film. The results are stunning and with the 220 film loaded this week, I am looking for an opportunity to shoot the big roll soon!

No idea if the H5D-50c will ever be able to take another back, but if I need to go with the H4X/H5X/H6X, that is ok too. I could not be happier with anything else for what I need.:thumbs:

So, yeah, Hasselblad, the H system is wonderful. Bring on the H7!!!

DB5

Just my guess is that Hasselblad are bricking it.

The H is basically been sidelined in the Pro and Hire market now the H Mount Phase backs are no longer. The hire market is probably one of the biggest chunks of their market and that will have mostly evaporated overnight.

What's left is the X. Fuji are all over that and now with Capture One support I really don't see how Hasselblad could compete. Even without Capture One, Fuji is the far bigger resourceful company.

With this in mind, personally I won't be thinking about Hasselblad anymore. It just doesn't look like a very wise buy going forward and the fact there is total silence from them speaks volumes.

tjv

Hasselblad's modular X concept camera looked pretty cool. Perhaps they're working to bring that to light?

I think the days of the huge H and X are pretty much over though, except for really narrow niche uses. I love them–I'm love the optical viewfinders and modularity–but times and the market have changed.

As for the Flextight scanners not being sold, well art schools across the globe are still using and buying them. Nothing beats them for easy and fast student use. I do wish they used USB though, but with adaptors I don't really care.

bab

Correct. Bet against them at your peril. We don't know what their long term objectives with Hasselblad are, but whatever they are, they have demonstrated the ability to totally dominate a whole market. Please, tell me who else makes drones?
They Own H!

hcubell

Just my guess is that Hasselblad are bricking it.

What's left is the X. Fuji are all over that and now with Capture One support I really don't see how Hasselblad could compete. Even without Capture One, Fuji is the far bigger resourceful company.

With this in mind, personally I won't be thinking about Hasselblad anymore. It just doesn't look like a very wise buy going forward and the fact there is total silence from them speaks volumes.
Hasselblad doesn't have to compete with Fuji in the sense that it has to outsell Fuji. Does Porsche compete with Toyota? Of course not. I am convinced that that there is a distinct body of photographers out there who aren't enamored with the whole gestalt of the GFX system and would prefer a camera system designed with a fundamentally different philosophy from the way the Japanese design camera systems AND that is smaller and lighter. Let's see what Hasselblad comes up with in the X2D and then shoot it side by side with the GFX 100. I expect it will be a totally different experience. One size does NOT fit all. We all prioritize things differently.

sog1927

Yes, that was my point.
We don't actually know that for a fact. We know they have some ownership stake, but we don't know how extensive it is. I suspect anyone who *does* know for sure is under NDA.

They might own 20%, or they might own 100% there's never been any official announcement which it is.

dave.gt

Like the Bob Dylan song... you gotta serve somebody...:)

Just some rambling thoughts from me..,

Lol, Ming left Hasselblad so we all miss his blog discussions and hints. We don't know what P1 is up to. Nor Fuji, nor Nikon, etc... so we talk about it and passionately "discuss" opinions in forums... enjoy that if you like.:)

Bottom line for me is leaving the angst, and prognostication behind.

Hasselblad is my chosen MF system for many reasons. Everyone is different. I do not like EVF. I abhor ugly gear. I stay away from unreliable gear, etc. and some folks will embrace it all or in part. I simply go with my own preferences.

Dante has lost this one as far as I am concerned... I am completely happy with the H system and hope one day to have another V system, having recently sold mine to pay for dental work that could wait no longer. I am also happy with any and all of my vintage cameras (those that are left).

So, Hasselblad is what I use for many reasons. Would I enjoy Phase One? You bet! Would I use any other system in the foreseeable future? No. That is just me... a few Nikons, a few Hasselblads and a deep appreciation for Phase One and most of all, appreciation for those dedicated workers behind each of their products, from design and manufacturing to sales and service.

No chaos here regarding gear. Just enjoying a quiet life when I can. My energy and time is limited so gear angst is not given a minute's thought anymore. Will HB have a 150mp camera soon? Ever? Does it really matter this minute? Well, no, it is not on my worry list. Couldn't afford it if I wanted one anyway. :)

It is the holiday season, time for family, friends and faith for me. It should be that way every day and if I can enjoy my chosen art, it is golden.

And it is liberating!:):):)

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays, whatever your preference, and I hope you all have a wonderful season. Stay warm, be well and may you enjoy each day to the fullest!:)

Last edited:

bab

We don't actually know that for a fact. We know they have some ownership stake, but we don't know how extensive it is. I suspect anyone who *does* know for sure is under NDA.

They might own 20%, or they might own 100% there's never been any official announcement which it is.
Its not as blatant as two mack trucks coming at you at 100 mph on a two lane country road. But stop and think about why there has been no communications, no upgraded firmware to speak of, no new lenses for H6D, many of the H people (few that were there) left, most dealers not stocking, H website for setup for sales instead of dealers all this points to a new marketing approach. That means the new owner DJI a marketing genius (new owner definitely pulling the strings) in a major way.....not a 20% stake. Stay tuned! Do jump ship good things are coming. Happy Holidays/New Year.

hcubell

You are actually right! Totally weird that there has never been an official announcement. However, Ming Thein sort of acknowledged it by referring to the "new owners" at one point.
i

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
{snip}

I hope I am wrong, as competition is what drives innovation, and currently no one is meaningfully competing with P1 in the full-frame-645 market.

(again, I acknowledge I'm heavily biased)
Amen to that. The more competition the better in terms of pushing the envelope and keeping vendors from becoming complacent. :thumbs:

sog1927

You are actually right! Totally weird that there has never been an official announcement. However, Ming Thein sort of acknowledged it by referring to the "new owners" at one point.
i
It is pretty strange. I know nothing of Swedish securities law, but perhaps they don't have to announce a takeover in the case of a privately-held company. There's not even a listing of the current executive team on their website. The Hasselblad Wikipedia page says DJI is a minority shareholder, but who knows how long it's been since that was updated. Like I said - it's between 20% and 100%.

It is a damned shame about Ming Thein. Aside from the tidbits of information that would occasionally make it into his blog, it was nice knowing that a working photographer was involved in their corporate strategy.

DB5

Hasselblad doesn't have to compete with Fuji in the sense that it has to outsell Fuji. Does Porsche compete with Toyota? Of course not. I am convinced that that there is a distinct body of photographers out there who aren't enamored with the whole gestalt of the GFX system and would prefer a camera system designed with a fundamentally different philosophy from the way the Japanese design camera systems AND that is smaller and lighter. Let's see what Hasselblad comes up with in the X2D and then shoot it side by side with the GFX 100. I expect it will be a totally different experience. One size does NOT fit all. We all prioritize things differently.
I've never been a fan of car analogy's for cameras. We're not talking about $100+ cars, we're talking about cameras.

I am one of those who prefer the X over the GFX, even thought he GFX 100 design is much, much, much better than the 50. But I just don't see gesalt and what is mostly marketing making that much a difference in the end in this space and demographic where unfortunately necessity takes priority.

With everything the GFX 100 will have, 100MP, IBIS and especially Capture One, my money is going to go with that even though I do prefer the look and feel of the X1D and Hasselblad as a brand in general (I've been a Hasselblad owner for 25 years).

Couple that with excitement around the GFX-100 and I think Hasselblad may possibly struggle to make things happen to the same degree as Fuji and the Fuji will always just be the better option - if Hasselblad can sustain that, then great. If the camera does everything you need then it's all good.

But the Fuji system is going to be getting a lot more revenue, a lot more R+D and lot more updates a lot quicker. It seems the wiser buy at this point in my opinion both short and long term.

But I will hold out at least a while to see what materialises in the X2D but I just feel there is always the possiblilty that it may never happen with Hasselblad - it's not that clear cut. It's not great to have so much invested in a system for it to fail or just become less than what you need a few years down the track.

DB5

As what seems a relevant sidenote - With all that's going on in the world right now with increasing Drone attacks - it wouldn't entirely surprise me if we started seeing Drones being banned, outright.

What affect will that have on DJI and on Hasselblad?

David Schneider

I've sold my Hasssie body and will be selling my four HC lenses and moving to Fuji GFX50R. There are some photographers out there who aren't enamored with the whole gestalt of the H system...……" I like smaller and lighter and more user enjoyment and options at a price point that's reasonable.

Totally agree one size does not fit all.

I hope Hasselblad comes back to the modular MF market. I have two very reliable and very good H5D (CCD and CMOS) with several HC lenses and I love the fantastic optical viewfinder - but I do not like to invest in the current H-System, because the "HB car" brings not enough rubber on the street.

The H6D with the new playstation on the back, may be it is nice to have - don't mention the non important rudimental 4K cinema abilities - but no real improvement for MF shooters compared to the H5D. The H6D back is faster, okay, but hasn't more interessant features as we see from the passionate P1 boys. Capture One Pro software is more powerful, fully integrated with the XF camera and also faster than the slow Phocus program.

Also one strategic goal for HB imo must be to cut the dependence to the sensor supplier Sony. Sony with its power to market and competence will perhaps later enter the MF market. HB needs a different option for the sensor - better e.g. a 200 MP sensor to send a clear signal to the market. Strategic important is also that HB needs a new HC lens supplier. Fuji is now MF competitor and the current X lens fabrication company is slow and not powerful enough.

Reducing HB's role to a crop sensor camera provider on a high price level without marketing on the top camera level can be a risk when prices go down. Okay Hasselblad - come back to the formula 1 and show us what you can! Yes, you can!

Bernard

As what seems a relevant sidenote - With all that's going on in the world right now with increasing Drone attacks - it wouldn't entirely surprise me if we started seeing Drones being banned, outright.

What affect will that have on DJI and on Hasselblad?
DJI-type consumer drones weigh a few hundred grams and only reach a hundred meters of altitude (if that). They are not a threat to aviation.

ejpeiker

DJI-type consumer drones weigh a few hundred grams and only reach a hundred meters of altitude (if that). They are not a threat to aviation.
A DJI Consumer drone is legal to go to 400 feet AGL, they are capable of going thousands of feet into the air. Big difference between capable and legal... I own one and only fly it legally - flying it illegally would jeopardize my real world Commercial Pilot license, but rest assured they are VERY capable of wreaking havoc if flown illegally with malicious intent.

JeRuFo

Most of them have a built in ceiling of around 500m, but unlocked versions can fly several kilometers high. The small consumer ones are relatively light, but you can pick up an Inspire or several at anytime and those can weigh over 4kg and have reasonable payload capacity right out of the box(around 900g if I'm not mistaken), someone with bad intentions and a bit of cash can cause quite serious problems around airfields if they want to.