The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is Hasselblad 150mp camera at?

stngoldberg

I fly one legally also, but I am finding many towns in RI are banning them on privacy concerns. The various city councils just don’t want to deal with the ramifications of drones; so the easy solutions is simply to make them illegal.
I believe that it now illegal to fly them on Federal lands such as national parks
Stanley

hcubell

...There are some photographers out there who aren't enamored with the whole gestalt of the H system...……" I like smaller and lighter and more user enjoyment and options at a price point that's reasonable.
Oh, yes, I was one of them. I rarely use my H2/IQ180 anymore. I am a charter member of the Camera LIB Movement ("Lighter is Better"), which is why I opted for the smallest and lightest alternative. I also vastly prefer the approach to the design of camera user interfaces followed by the European camera manufacturers (i.e., Hasselblad, Phase, Leica and now Zeiss) compared to their Japanese counterparts, but obviously others really like all of the buttons and menu options.

I hope Hasselblad comes back to the modular MF market. I have two very reliable and very good H5D cameras (CCD and CMOS) with several HC lenses and I love the fantastic optical viewfinder - but I do not like to invest in the current H-System, because the "HB car" brings not enough rubber on the street.

The H6D with the new playstation on the back, may be it is nice to have - don't mention the non important rudimental 4K cinema abilities - but no real improvement for MF shooters compared to the H5D. The H6D is faster, okay, but hasn't more interessant features as we see from the passionate P1 boys. Capture One Pro is more powerful, fully integrated with the XF camera and also faster than the latest slow Phocus software.

One strategic goal for HB imo must be to cut the dependence to the sensor supplier Sony. Sony with their power to market and competence will perhaps later enter the MF market. HB needs a different option for the sensor - better e.g. a 200 MP sensor to send a clear signal to the market. Strategic important is also that HB needs a new HC lens supplier. Fuji is now a serious MF competitor and the current X lens fabrication company is too slow and not powerful enough.

Reducing HB's role to a crop sensor camera provider on a high price level without marketing on the top camera level can be a risk when prices go down. Okay Hasselblad - come back to the formula 1 and show us what you can!

Abstraction

Hasselblad has never been an innovative company. They always had a hard time adjusting with the times. During the film days, they were essentially a one trick pony - specializing in square 6x6 SLRs. Given that they were the first to fill that niche at their inception, they were able to establish a certain type of cachet, but their products were just ok. I always thought that Bronica SQ was a much better system.

When digital came on the scene, it took Hasselblad a long time to adjust and they barely did, essentially riding the Mamiya/Phase One coat tails until they came up with the H system. That success didn't last long, as the market changed again and they were on the verge of disappearing. Then, the Chinese took over and they were able to pull the rabbit out of their hat with the X1D, but the thing was very buggy for about the first year of its existence and then Fuji came out with the GFX and essentially cut Hasselblad off at their knees.

At this point, it's hard for me to imagine Hasselblad being able to pull another rabbit out of their hat. I think that the H system days are numbered and there won't be a 150mp Hasselblad. I don't see them being able to support two mounts and completely different systems. So, that means that they will most likely concentrate on the X system, but even there, they have a lot of pressure from Fuji and they may not be able to compete. We may be seeing Hasselblad's death throes. They're in a very tough situation.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sad to read all of the negativity relating to Hasselblad and their abilities to execute these days. I really think that the medium format market is MUCH MUCH richer with Hasselblad in it. Let’s hope that they can deliver a viable competitor 150mp solution soon.

dave.gt

I should probably not post this.

Ironically, I am spending my early morning quiet time on Christmas morning reflecting on the hatred and chaos in our country and trying to put that in perspective with the days we have left in this world. I ask myself how I want to spend what little time I have left. Certainly, it is not watching 24/7 talking heads or sitting in a rocking chair like my good friend and former motorcycle riding buddy. He turned 70 years old recently and now prefers to sit around his home in a small town in South Georgia complaining about everything and everybody. He gave up fishing and riding because he convinced himself he is too old. He has one viewpoint in life about everything and his way is the only way to him. We have sadly parted ways only because his life has become completely negative even though nothing else has really changed.

The problem with threads and posts full of negativity is the depth of negativity, not for Hasselblad... for what purpose does negativity serve?

I prefer to reduce negativity as much as possible in my own life lest I succumb to the all-too-prevalent negative outlook on life that we see everyday. Negativity toward Phase One, now Hasselblad on this forum. The last two years I have enjoyed this forum as a safe haven, a somewhat more civil and mature (meaning a broader perspective) community where all are welcome for a positive experience. I really try hard to stay out of these discussions.

I hope we can continue on-topic discussions on every thread. This thread is about when a new Hasselblad 150 might surface. It has degenerated to a negative thread. We all have different preferences and opinions, and that is good. The manner in how we express our opinions matters, as does whether or not we should.

I beg your pardon, count me out.:(

B L

Hasselblad has never been an innovative company. They always had a hard time adjusting with the times. During the film days, they were essentially a one trick pony - specializing in square 6x6 SLRs. Given that they were the first to fill that niche at their inception, they were able to establish a certain type of cachet, but their products were just ok. I always thought that Bronica SQ was a much better system.

When digital came on the scene, it took Hasselblad a long time to adjust and they barely did, essentially riding the Mamiya/Phase One coat tails until they came up with the H system. That success didn't last long, as the market changed again and they were on the verge of disappearing. Then, the Chinese took over and they were able to pull the rabbit out of their hat with the X1D, but the thing was very buggy for about the first year of its existence and then Fuji came out with the GFX and essentially cut Hasselblad off at their knees.

At this point, it's hard for me to imagine Hasselblad being able to pull another rabbit out of their hat. I think that the H system days are numbered and there won't be a 150mp Hasselblad. I don't see them being able to support two mounts and completely different systems. So, that means that they will most likely concentrate on the X system, but even there, they have a lot of pressure from Fuji and they may not be able to compete. We may be seeing Hasselblad's death throes. They're in a very tough situation.
I have to disagree here, because I have old FORUM magazines and I can provide references to Hasselblad's digital rig. That was around mid 90s.
Innovation? Show me another camera like SWC. XPAN
I think some people have never even touched any sample of X1D but will say everything negative.
My question: Why some people are ill wishing for Hasselblad?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave,

There are posters who are overwhelmingly negative. I have them on ignore. It greatly improves the forum experience.

I was very sorry when it first became necessary here on getDPI, as it was far the friendliest online photo community I knew of. Personal attacks are still dealt with by the moderators (thank you, mods!), but general negativity still requires a personal filter.

My own feelings on Hasselblad? They make something great I can use right now. I NEVER expect something better in the future from a company. Companies change, die, get bought, drop lines.. no one can tell. If the current product lacks something essential, I go elsewhere.

And thank you for your perspective. I just turned 60, am deeply depressed, and feel like sitting in a chair and grumbling for the rest of my life. With luck, I'll shake it off and pick up a camera again.

Best,

Matt

vjbelle

I also think it would be a shame if Hasselblad were to exit the camera field. I do think they should put their resources into the X and abandon the H series. Let Phase have that very small market and concentrate where there are lots of buyers.

Victor

Abstraction

I have to disagree here, because I have old FORUM magazines and I can provide references to Hasselblad's digital rig. That was around mid 90s.
Innovation? Show me another camera like SWC. XPAN
I think some people have never even touched any sample of X1D but will say everything negative.
My question: Why some people are ill wishing for Hasselblad?
Where in my original post do you see anything negative concerning X1D? The X1D was buggy for the first year of its existence. That's a fact. Whether that's positive or negative depends on YOUR point of view, not anything that was in my original post.

Secondly, where do you see any sort of a wish in my original post? You seem to be projecting your own issues onto a completely neutral and innocuous post.

Thirdly, as someone else had mentioned, Hasselblad had fired its digital R&D team in the 90's.

Fourthly, what do you disagree with and what do you find negative? Do you disagree that Hasselblad is in a difficult situation? Do you disagree that they're unable to maintain two mounts? Do you disagree that they're squeezed by Fuji? Do you disagree that it would be difficult for them to compete with a behemoth like Fuji? Do you disagree that this may possibly be the end of Hasselblad? (Not saying that's good, but it is a distinct possibility). So, what EXACTLY is your objection?

Finally, why do we have to look at things with rose colored glasses? Why can't we asses reality for what it is? What's up with this positivity BS? Wishful thinking won't make things the way we wish them to be. Besides, we're not married to any of the manufacturers, their success or lack thereof makes little to no practical difference to us. Why is it that many members in this forum insist on being the cheerleaders for camera manufacturers? Aren't there bigger and more important things to be excited about? This is not being excited or passionate about photography, this is strictly about equipment.

Last edited:

B L

Where in my original post do you see anything negative concerning X1D? The X1D was buggy for the first year of its existence. That's a fact. Whether that's positive or negative depends on YOUR point of view, not anything that was in my original post.

Secondly, where do you see any sort of a wish in my original post? You seem to be projecting your own issues onto a completely neutral and innocuous post.

Thirdly, as someone else had mentioned, Hasselblad had fired its digital R&D team in the 90's.

Hasselblad or any employer can end the contract if there are reasons to do so.And that is nothing to do with me,you or anyone else.

Fourthly, what do you disagree with and what do you find negative? Do you disagree that Hasselblad is in a difficult situation? Do you disagree that they're unable to maintain two mounts? Do you disagree that they're squeezed by Fuji? Do you disagree that it would be difficult for them to compete with a behemoth like Fuji? Do you disagree that this may possibly be the end of Hasselblad? (Not saying that's good, but it is a distinct possibility). So, what EXACTLY is your objection?

Yes,I disagree.

Finally, why do we have to look at things with rose colored glasses? Why can't we asses reality for what it is? What's up with this positivity BS? Wishful thinking won't make things the way we wish them to be. Besides, we're not married to any of the manufacturers, their success or lack thereof makes little to no practical difference to us. Why is it that many members in this forum insist on being the cheerleaders for camera manufacturers? Aren't there bigger and more important things to be excited about? This is not being excited or passionate about photography, this is strictly about equipment.
Hasselblad is a small company and with all small manufacturers,things also move slowly. Despite the fact that X1D was not operating as it should have,there are many satisfied users around.They know the shortcomings.So there is no need to highlight them again and again.
Hasselblad is fully aware,and I am sure there tech team is working to resolve.
I have equal respect for Phase One and Fujifilm.
So back to 150MP. I wish them all the best.As we discuss this,they are working on it.
;)

hcubell

Oh, please. You aren't fooling anyone. It's clear you have an axe to grind. I won't waste my time speculating why.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I believe that what most on this thread are asking ......Is Hasselblad still in the game . Obviously a lot has changed since the X1d was introduced . It was a great first step bringing a quality Hasselblad product in at a competitive price . They further went on to develop what looks to be terrific set of lenses ....slow but each lens has looked to be excellent .

But much to worry about if you are considering an investment in HB gear . Fuji has proven to be a very strong competitor and has kept the price competition going at an accelerated pace . So its fair to ask ..hey whats going on with HB?

........Remember the back log of 30K orders for the X1d ..didn t materialize did it? The X1d was readily available and being discounted within the first year .

.......The CEO that lead the turn around and sponsored the X1D development left the company . Go back and look at his interviews with Luminous Landscape . He is an extra ordinary talent .

......DJI bought some amount of HB 20%-100% who knows ....they don t appear to be heavily investing in the company . Hear any rumors of HB staffing up ?

......But most insightful is the complete lack of discussion of future products ? Thus the question about the 150MP and the only response is that no one believes its coming .

I would very much like to hear some good news about HB prospects ....been a big fan of the company for a very long time .

Abstraction

Oh, please. You aren't fooling anyone. It's clear you have an axe to grind. I won't waste my time speculating why.
Oh crap! And here I was sitting here thinking that I was fooling you. Wow! You can see right through me. You must be very smart!

vjbelle

Roger...... I think you've nailed it. I would think long and hard before investing into HB. It wasn't difficult buying a GFX....

Victor

hcubell

Roger...... I think you've nailed it. I would think long and hard before investing into HB. It wasn't difficult buying a GFX....

Victor
If I viewed buying a camera as an "investment," I would agree with you. Fuji is a much safer bet. However, I don't choose which camera to buy based upon what's coming down the pike in the future from that manufacturer. It's just a tool to me, and I choose what to buy based upon what it does today, not based upon what its replacement down the road will do. If I wasn't very happy with what a camera does today, I would never buy it.

If I viewed buying a camera as an "investment," I would agree with you. Fuji is a much safer bet. However, I don't choose which camera to buy based upon what's coming down the pike in the future from that manufacturer. It's just a tool to me, and I choose what to buy based upon what it does today, not based upon what its replacement down the road will do. If I wasn't very happy with what a camera does today, I would never buy it.
Some people like to know that the lenses they buy over time can be used on the next generation camera body and they won't have to sell everything and start from scratch when new technology appears. For others, cost is not a factor.

kdphotography

Every year (actually seems like every few months) there are always these "doom and gloom" projections that come out on the forums, usually from some "expert" who thinks they know better what a company's business plan should be and what they ought to be doing. Phase One always seem to be a front runner here as a target for criticism. I guess it's Hassey's turn now :rolleyes:. The comments typically are that Phase has to lower prices so that the masses can afford the systems or other. I thought when the X1D was announced it was supposed to be the death of Phase and not Hasselblad? :loco: I simply ignore the naysayers as experience has proven (for me) that such forecasts from the pundits have had zero impact on my photography, my enjoyment of photography, saving money, etc. Not to mention they have been wrong 99% of the time.

It is what it is. Just enjoy what you can, and simply appreciate that you can play in Dante's playground.

Try it, like it, buy it.

Or in Don Libby's case: You touch it, you buy it. :ROTFL:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Remember:

Almost always....

"Company X needs to do Y!" means "I want Company X to do Y."
"System X will never sell at that price." means "I want system X, but can't justify/afford it."
"Everyone is ditching their system X for system Y." means "I just bought system Y."
"X is not a pro system, Y is." also means "I just bought system Y."
"It's the photographer, not the camera." means "I have nothing to contribute here."

--Matt (There should be an Ambrose Bierce "Devil's Dictionary" for photography...)

Oh, and frustrated about months of no communication from Hasselblad? I have two words: "Phase One XF"

Last edited:

PeterA

Remember:

Almost always....

"Company X needs to do Y!" means "I want Company X to do Y."
"System X will never sell at that price." means "I want system X, but can't justify/afford it."
"Everyone is ditching their system X for system Y." means "I just bought system Y."
"X is not a pro system, Y is." also means "I just bought system Y."
"It's the photographer, not the camera." means "I have nothing to contribute here."

--Matt (There should be an Ambrose Bierce "Devil's Dictionary" for photography...)

Oh, and frustrated about months of no communication from Hasselblad? I have two words: "Phase One XF"
The thing that is most ungracious and insensitive about negative postings regarding 'gear' is the inherent 'attack' on people's choices - it is an usavoury derogatory dialogue that sucks the life out of positive vibe - as if someone's constrution proves someone elses 'error' and somehow makes someone else happier...much worse than the false marketing dialogue that precedes the inevitable for sale ad shortly afterwards - best to move on or ignore such ugliness.

I've recently sold out of the XID (which I loved) into Fuji not for any other reason than I want to build a collection of lenses that will suit the 100mp SLR version of the Fuji coming in 2019 (and I got a fantastic deal out of my dealer to do so) - I like the XID so much I might actually re-buy it to use with a 45mm making what I think is possibly the best high res walk around combo ever made by anyone. I dislike these "this is better than that nonsense" diatribes - they have little to do with actually making an image that one can print and hang and be happy with if not proud of.